It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pondering existence.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Have you ever thought about existence & life to the point of near insanity? I am doing that as we speak. I think about how life and everything I know to be reality, and how it may not even be real. What is "real" anyway? Is it something tangible? Something you can verify by showing others? Sometimes I wonder if I am dreaming. Living my life and making choices that really don't matter... just to wake up and have everything pulled away from me. Can anyone tell me why we are here... living beings on Earth? or even better, where did earth and the universe come from? a big bang? If nothing existed, what could have ignited to create life...and why. It's simple mathematics... 0 + 0 = 0. If we were created by a superior being, then why? what's the point. Nothing done by anyone truly matters... because it's only a matter of time until none of us will be around. It's strange... feeling like I am living in a foreign world. Like... everything I do is forsaken... like I am viewing some kind of visual and sensory stimulus to convince me that this is all "real". You are all just objects of my perception. I see people everyday, but who can prove to me that you all aren't just an illusion... just a trick to convince me to walk some path. Most importantly, what's the point? Why do we live... why do we think? Why do any of us exist? and What is the purpose. Sometimes, I think that absolute nothingness makes more sense than existence. The majority of people are so content with their meaningless lives. Worrying about things that really don't matter... but who's to say what matters? It's all a matter of perception. Nothing is real, because no one can truly define real. Therefore, you & I aren't real. We are either objects of each other's perceptions or objects of our own. I am not crazy, and I normally do not post threads of this nature, but I just feel that beyond the realm of sight and sound is blackness...and these things I see, feel and hear... are just a blindfold to hide the blackness.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
When I get to introspective like the way you describe I think of this Rush song it seems to help:

"Roll The Bones"

Well, you can stake that claim
Good work is the key to good fortune
Winners take that praise
Losers seldom take that blame
If they don't take that game
And sometimes the winner takes nothing
We draw our own designs
But fortune has to make that frame

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That's the way that lady luck dances
Roll the bones

Why are we here?
Because we're here
Roll the bones
Why does it happen?
Because it happens
Roll the bones

Faith is cold as ice
Why are little ones born only to suffer
For the want of immunity
Or a bowl of rice?
Well, who would hold a price
On the heads of the innocent children
If there's some immortal power
To control the dice?

We come into the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That's the way that lady luck dances
Roll the bones

Jack...relax
Get busy with the facts
No zodiacs or almanacs
No maniacs in polyester slacks
Just the facts
Gonna kick some gluteus max
It's a parallax...you dig?
You move around
The small gets big
It's a rig
It's action...reaction
Random interaction
So who's afraid
Of a little abstraction?
Can't get no satisfaction
From the facts?
You better run, homeboy
A fact's a fact
From Nome to Rome, boy

What's the deal?
Spin the wheel
If the dice are hot...take a shot
Play your cards. Show us what you got
What you're holding
If the cards are cold
Don't go folding
Lady Luck is golden
She favors the bold
That's cold
Stop throwing stones
The night has a thousand saxophones
So get out there and rock
And roll the bones
Get busy!

Roll the bones

Why are we here?
Because we're here
Roll the bones
Why does it happen?
Because it happens
Roll the bones

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Thank god there's someone else out here that's been thinking like me. I've been thinking this exactly and it's starting to almost scare me. I almost which I was a bit dumber and didn't question anything and just go with the flow.

argh..

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Sounds like some of the things I said back when I used to smoke left handed cigarettes.

Since you say that everyone else is an illusion(and I don't disagree with that necesarily), then all material(ideas) they produce is illusion. Therefore the only way you can find the "meaning of life(or at least I think that is what you're asking)" is to figure it out for yourself, either by living it or finding diamonds in the illusion.

The best lies have some truth mixed in. (if the illusion is not of your own making).

If it is of your own making, (maybe dreaming or in a coma), then your subconcious can usually tell you truths without you realizing.

Some would say that the 'purpose of life' is searching for the 'purpose of life.'

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DocWicked
Have you ever thought about existence & life to the point of near insanity? I am doing that as we speak. I think about how life and everything I know to be reality, and how it may not even be real. What is "real" anyway? Is it something tangible? Something you can verify by showing others? Sometimes I wonder if I am dreaming. Living my life and making choices that really don't matter... just to wake up and have everything pulled away from me. Can anyone tell me why we are here... living beings on Earth? or even better, where did earth and the universe come from? a big bang? If nothing existed, what could have ignited to create life...and why. It's simple mathematics... 0 + 0 = 0. If we were created by a superior being, then why? what's the point. Nothing done by anyone truly matters... because it's only a matter of time until none of us will be around. It's strange... feeling like I am living in a foreign world. Like... everything I do is forsaken... like I am viewing some kind of visual and sensory stimulus to convince me that this is all "real". You are all just objects of my perception. I see people everyday, but who can prove to me that you all aren't just an illusion... just a trick to convince me to walk some path. Most importantly, what's the point? Why do we live... why do we think? Why do any of us exist? and What is the purpose. Sometimes, I think that absolute nothingness makes more sense than existence. The majority of people are so content with their meaningless lives. Worrying about things that really don't matter... but who's to say what matters? It's all a matter of perception. Nothing is real, because no one can truly define real. Therefore, you & I aren't real. We are either objects of each other's perceptions or objects of our own. I am not crazy, and I normally do not post threads of this nature, but I just feel that beyond the realm of sight and sound is blackness...and these things I see, feel and hear... are just a blindfold to hide the blackness.

I can really relate to those thoughts. Personally, I used to have these thoughts all the time and it makes you feel like everything is pointless. I found out that these types of thoughts are often found in individuals who may be suffering a mental disorder, such as depression. If these thoughts are stopping you from sleeping and taking away happiness in your life, I suggest you go see a mental health professional.

At the end of the day, you are what you are and life is what it is. You can either choose to worry about things that are beyond your comprehension, or you can do things in life that bring you joy and help others. As for me, I still manage to do both

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The answers you're looking for either don't exist or we just don't have the capacity to grasp and understand them. No one knows why we're here or how it all started. Personally I don't concern myself with asking unanswerable questions. I just enjoy my life and so should you. don't give yourself a headache over it.

also, left handed cigarettes is a pretty hilarious expression. I've never heard that one before.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DocWicked

Pondering existence.

Sometimes I wonder if I am dreaming. Living my life and making choices that really don't matter... just to wake up and have everything pulled away from me.

More people ask this question than what is known...

Can anyone tell me why we are here... living beings on Earth?

There is a reason... Because if there wasn't you and I would not be experiencing this Universe...

or even better, where did earth and the universe come from? a big bang?

For this experience to exist something or some process has produced it or you would not be experiencing this Universe or anything at all...
The fact is you are experiencing something...

If nothing existed, what could have ignited to create life...and why. It's simple mathematics... 0 + 0 = 0.

First humankind has to understand what Nothing really is and Not assume flippantly... (as you know 0 is something in maths) Nothing consists of a pair Nothing/Something (or Opposites that are tied together).

But this is a huge subject of it's own which very very little is either recognised or even less understood in it's true context...

If we were created by a superior being, then why?

Why do some people think there has to be a "superior being" ?

It may be just the Opposite to us.

Most only know their biological form...

But what may have produced the experience, may have been the awareness of it's self "Nothing" which then has become Something....

1. Nothing

2. the opposite Something (by becoming aware of the existence of Nothing.

3. Awareness

But how do we define awareness??

What does it consist of rather that what it achieves...

what's the point. Nothing done by anyone truly matters... because it's only a matter of time until none of us will be around. It's strange...

That's because of our ignorance or perhaps our loss of knowledge of our true Origin... (perhaps on purpose in order to believe the illusion is as reality...

feeling like I am living in a foreign world. Like...

Perhaps this is because you are awakening, to the fact there is two components to yourself???

1. "The observed" or Biological form and the Environment it is interacting with....

2. And "The Observer" or Mind, Consciousness, Awareness or Life whatever you like to call it...

everything I do is forsaken... like I am viewing some kind of visual and sensory stimulus to convince me that this is all "real". You are all just objects of my perception. I see people everyday, but who can prove to me that you all aren't just an illusion... just a trick to convince me to walk some path.

Perhaps you are onto it or starting to awaken to your real self, Consciousness or Awareness of your true self???

Most importantly, what's the point? Why do we live... why do we think? Why do any of us exist? and What is the purpose.

If you look at the Universe as a whole, the main theme is a Creation or construction of an experience....

Perhaps this (our Experience, or that which the experience is experienced through) is just a stage of development of something much larger than we can perceive...

I don't mean the human form but rather the system that this illusion is formed in (the Soul as often called by humankind which looks nothing like the human form)

Sometimes, I think that absolute nothingness makes more sense than existence. The majority of people are so content with their meaningless lives. Worrying about things that really don't matter... but who's to say what matters? It's all a matter of perception. Nothing is real, because no one can truly define real. Therefore, you & I aren't real. We are either objects of each other's perceptions or objects of our own.

I agree with you on this and perhaps this is what humankind can't accept or face or even know how to react to this...
Perhaps humankind can't deal with this notion???

I am not crazy, and I normally do not post threads of this nature, but I just feel that beyond the realm of sight and sound is blackness...

I don't believe you are crazy just because you have questions...

You may be correct, but what is this "Blackness" it certainly is not, as science would have us believe, in that blackness is lacking light...

If Blackness was lacking Light we would Not be able to see Black, but a hole would be present instead....

Besides there is a Scientific demonstration, from the 1950's, that shows that the spectrum (so called) of colour can be produced from just black and white but Science never came up with why or how this occurs. This demonstration was just parked up in one of those dark corners to be lost or just hope this knowledge would fade away conveniently LOL...

Blackness is Made of Something... Perhaps like a huge Library of Information but requires a processing system to extract this...

Now Darkness is Not Blackness but rather Gayness or a lack of contrast between two things.

and these things I see, feel and hear... are just a blindfold to hide the blackness.

Bingo....

I wonder why so many children and in many cases adults, fear what they call Darkness, or is it the Black they fear, because of ignorance???

Humankind must start looking into those areas they fear most and have the courage and endurance to find the answers to these questions...

That is if we desire, to be able to accept ourselves and come to understand our environment correctly.

We are certainly Not here to just try and become as wealthy as possible, working like slaves all our lives just for it all to be taken away or to rule over others...

Or try and reach some undefined, moral level or achieve any other B.S. put forward by humankind.

I believe we are to explore ourselves and come to know what we are and where our components come from...

How can we create anything like a universe unless we know ourselves and our parent... (where our root is, or where our Consciousness has come from.)

What or who is to say this Universe is the Only One???

Perhaps there are so many different ones they can Not be counted???

And perhaps, out of the Blackness these Universes and worlds are Created through a "Processing System", that you and I are learning about as we pass through each experience we call our life spans...

This may be nothing more, than like a Child's picture book (but Dynamic in nature) that is used to tell a story or pass on information or teach.

And there are enumerable books which are experiences the Mind or consciousness experiences through a Soul or Optical processing device???

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DocWicked

Have you ever thought about existence & life to the point of near insanity? I am doing that as we speak. I think about how life and everything I know to be reality, and how it may not even be real. What is "real" anyway?

Maybe Hafiz can help -

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/74a8532d027c.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f4bf0879cbbe.jpg[/atsimg]
Source : The Gift - Hafiz

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
What if we're all just the same person?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
What if we're all just the same person?

Or are we Consciousness or Awareness, Partitions of the same Awareness or Consciousness???

Just as a large expanse of Water, contains droplets which are hidden in the water ???

Perhaps so it is with "Awareness" or "Consciousness".

Perhaps The "Inner" (our Consciousness) of the All, is like the droplets and the "Outer" of The All (Consciousness) consisting of these as though partitioned.

When we attack others (being part of the One) we attack our self !

When we do anything at all to others, or for others, we actually do it to ourself (Collective as The One) ???

Is there only One "Consciousness" or "Awareness" that has been Partitioned by its Self on purpose ???

And is the Real Self the Human form or is it our Conscious State, and the human form is only part of the experience ???

[edit on 6-4-2009 by The Matrix Traveller]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Have any of you people actually had a child?

...or seen a dead person?

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
What you're describing, DocWicked, sounds an awful lot like atheistic existentialism of the sort written about by Jean Paul Sartre and Albert Camus.

Jean Paul Sartre's book Nausea describes someone experiencing just that sort of thought process and its repercussions, and Albert Camus' novel The Stranger, and his essay The Myth of Sisyphus, cover similar philosophical ground too. I'd recommend reading both if you're interested in exploring these thoughts. If you want to get deeper still, Sartre's Being & Nothingness is a good place to start.

Dark Ghost is right, too, in that this sort of thinking is quite common in people with depression. I've been through it myself, and I've come to think that, rather than being an illness, depression (or, more specifically, the kind of thinking that the OP describes) can be an incredibly positive development process.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
marsha law:

I have a child, and he is the beacon of light in my life.

as far as dead people, seen too many unfortunately.

I just think myself into circles sometimes. I think so much that I confuse myself because I keep getting off topic and on to a new idea that I continuously dissect until I am completely lost. I have a lot of happiness in my life, and I do focus on all the good things and try not to worry about the bigger picture (it's all beyond my control anyway).... but these thoughts always return. What's out there? and most importantly... why?

"All I know is I am here, drifting somewhere in the vast". - Jon Crosby, Vast - Here.

new topics

top topics

join