It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Galloway roars, live from N.Y.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Galloway roars, live from N.Y.

www.thestar.com

"Come out and debate with me like a man," British MP George Galloway told Canada's Immigration Minister Jason Kenney last night via video link from New York, ridiculing the government for barring him from the country.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: George Galloway Arrives In The U.S To Clear His Name
EXCLUSIVE: ATS Interview With George Galloway
MP George Galloway Connected to "Bottle Bomb" Terrorists?

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
British MP George Galloway punches back at Canadian officials, saying, in effect, THANK YOU for the extra press.

I believe he's right as his video message is now much more popular than it ever could have been prior to his being barred from Canada.

There's no way he could honestly be considered a direct terror threat to the Canadian public nor to the country's infrastructure. His alledged crime was supporting Hamas with cash and humanitarian aid. How the money and the aid was used may be questionable, though.

www.thestar.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
regardless of the specific rights and wrongs of entry, on a personal level I salute every misfortune which happens to this odious cretinous individual- I wish him nothing but ill for the remainder of his squalid days

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

Your sincere dislike of the man may be warranted. However, do you think his barred entry in the age of instant video has better served his cause?

Would allowing him into Canada to speak at a function have been 'quieter' than a public barring and its subsequent international drama?

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I really really hate Galloway, he's so far up his arse, he's like Gordon brown but up himself even more, Stubborn bald little man.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

Many would agree with you, including the Government of Canada.

But the question is: Did the recent barring from entering Canada help his cause or hurt it? You will note that he gave his video response from NYC.

Edit to include:

Mr. Galloway told listeners, including about 300 of the anti-war stripe who filled Metropolitan United Church in Toronto to watch the webcast, that his message "will now be heard by so many more people than Jason Kenney could ever have imagined.

"Instead, 100, 1,000, 10,000 times the audience is watching the meeting this evening because of their attempts to silence us. It is poetic justice."

www.theglobeandmail.com...

(bolding mine)

[edit on 31/3/09 by masqua]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

This can only help his cause IMO

It has given him the chance to spin this in a way of his choosing, at which he is a master.

I would also recommend reading about Galloway - many may find him and what he stands for distatsefull, but unlike many politicians he actually has the courage of his convictions, and he sticks to them.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I love Galloway,yes he may be a tad pompous..but he's a great orator and alot of the time is right,plus he speaks his mind on issues and cuts to the chase,an admirable trait in a politician.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

It doesn't matter, some idiot in a restaurant can make a scene and the manager may back down to save himself the grief, the idiot may think he's won, but the people in the restaurant will think he's an absolute idiot for being such a mouthy twit. Sure he's got a larger audience, but now 100, 1000, 10000 more people know he's a prick.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by spitefulgod
the idiot may think he's won, but the people in the restaurant will think he's an absolute idiot for being such a mouthy twit. Sure he's got a larger audience, but now 100, 1000, 10000 more people know he's a prick.

I like your analogy.

The question remains, though... would 100, 1000, 10,000 more people know that if he had NOT been let into the restaurant?

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Personally, I'd like to know what people are basing all this vitriol and bile spewing on.

He's certainly a more honourable politician than either Blair or Brown - and as can be seen with only a little research, he has been remarkably successfull in suing those who sought to tarnish him.

The problem is, allegations appear on the front pages of newspapers, apologies and retractions are in small print, buried in the bowels of a newspaper.

So I'd also like to explore the reasons why he has beeb banned from Canada as "persona non grata"

What I think we'll find, is that he has not really done much wrong, but has again been the victim of a witch hunt simply for saying what many people think.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski
So I'd also like to explore the reasons why he has beeb banned from Canada as "persona non grata"

The following information may shine some light on the decision the government made to bar him:

His case prompted a slew of attention from media and advocacy groups. Prominent Canadian Jewish groups, including the Canadian Jewish Congress and the Jewish Defence League, supported the move to bar Mr. Galloway. They allege he was fundraising for Hamas, which opposes the Israeli state.

www.theglobeandmail.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
So basically they are trying to paint him as anti semitic, when he has only ever professed to being anti zionist.

A fine distinction to some, but in reality there are major differences.

They tried to do this in the UK as well - unsuccessfully I might add.

The largest backer of Hamas is Saudi Arabia - and yet I have never read of any of the suadi royal family being declared persona non grata.

Strange eh?

Or perhpas not, given that politicians regularly play both sides of the fence when it comes to oil and the uber wealthy...

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
There's this nagging feeling that, had the government NOT intervened by disallowing his visit to Canada, he would have made his speech and gone back to the UK without stirring things into a public international debate.

It would have marginalized the effects of his political views and headlines would be carrying other stories today. As it stands now, Galloway's platform is strengthened by the refusal to allow him entry.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski
Personally, I'd like to know what people are basing all this vitriol and bile spewing on.
What I think we'll find, is that he has not really done much wrong, but has again been the victim of a witch hunt simply for saying what many people think.

What is left out of the attacks against him is the fact that the US and Israel pushed for democratic elections in Gaza...and Hamas was elected! That may not have been the plan, but they are, indeed, legitimate. That is the point that Galloway makes most vociferously.

Look at the some of the evil the west supports as 'strategic'...and Saudi Arabia is a fine example. But, hey...they have oil!

Further...as they say in the press, under those selfsame immigration laws, Nelson Mandela would be banned! And need we look at 'The Stern Gang' in the same light?

You know, it's the freakin' hypocracy that makes me wanna puke. Haven't heard back from my MP as yet...no surprise, there.

But I'll be watching Galloway on Strombo tonight, fer shure.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

the Canadian Jewish Congress and the Jewish Defence League, supported the move to bar Mr. Galloway.

That says it all. Galloway is pro-not-murdering-Palestinians. He's not anti-Israeli. He's Anti- The sociopathic Likud party policy of murder. Some special interest groups in Canada and the USA don't see the distinction.

Galloway was also very much against the War in Iraq and saw through the ruse immediately.
He was excoriated in the press for speaking out about it.

He was later brought before a Senate subcommittee over the UN oil-for-food scandal, and promptly stomped (rhetorically) our pathetic, ethically challenged congress into the dirt.

His Pro-Peace stance has endeared him to many. He may be a blowhard, but at least he stands up for something of worth. It seems some prefer injustice and murder. It has always been so.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
In the linked article it says he's challenged the Canadian immigration minister to a debate. That's something I'd like to see.

He helped organise an aid convoy to Palestine when other politicians were just sitting on their hands. In the video link from the story he defended the accusations of supporting Hamas by saying while he wouldn't have voted for them himself, the aid was for the Palestinians and he had to hand it over to their government for distribution. What was he supposed to do, find an opposition leader?

He might be a little up himself, but he doesn't deserve the hatred he gets.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
What he has done though is highlight who the Canadian government take orders from. Of course he's no threat to anyone or working for terrorists but the JDL itself is most certainly a terrorist / militant organisation.

www.fpp.co.uk...

People in glass houses should not throw stones. This whole issue seems to be putting the likes of the JDL in the spotlight too, where some of it's sordid history is being dragged up, once again - and rightly so - to show just who these people are.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I disagree with Galloway's views vehemently, and he is one of the few politicians I would love to take on in a head to head debate/ fist fight.

However, barring him goes against the values of the Western world.

I disagree with the decision to declare him a persona non grata as much as I disagreed with the barring of Geert Wilders from visiting the UK.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
I disagree with Galloway's views vehemently...However, barring him goes against the values of the Western world.

Well, if I'm not afraid to call you out when I disagree with you, I ought to hand over a star when I think you got it right. Well, in theory, anyway

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join