It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEW ATM Scam..!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthFairie
I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere, but PLEASE take 1 minute to call the Do Not Call Registry for the U.S. Starting April 1st I believe, all cell phone numbers will become publicly available to telemarketers and the like.

Wow, it almost seems like a cruel April fools joke.

I hope this scam isn't off topic since it's not quite the same, but I figured I should warn the people here of it while this thread is going. There are some people claiming to be Allco Financial Group, and post online wanted ads for a virtual secretary type job. The emails they send you seem pretty official. The following link is a blog post containing the first email you receive if you contact them.

suckerswanted.blogspot.com...

What they do is say they are testing you against other candidates for the job, and want to see how fast and efficient you are at following instructions. They then send you a counterfeit check in the mail and tell you to cash it. Once cashed, they tell you to take 8% out as your "pay" and send the rest to an individual overseas via Western Union. Then of course the check bounces and you are left high and dry.

The amount they sent to me when I fell into this trap was over $1100. Fortunately I was wary enough to wait for the check to clear before sending any money anywhere. However, Bank of America wasn't too happy with the situation and closed down my account.

[edit on 3/31/2009 by somedude]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Any fraud topic pressed on the people is not off topic as far as I am concerned. This thread might save some people alot of serious hassle. So post away with any fraud activities created by low lifes.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I got a call the other night from someone with a Caribbean accent (couldn't place it for sure) that said I had won a $100 cash from Bank of America and something else. I told them it sounded like a scam and hung up on them. There was another scam going a few years ago and they swore up and down they were trying to straighten out a problem with my credit report. I hung up on them a dozen times or so and finally *69 ed the number and filed a report with the authorities. The calls stopped after that. I was on the phone with Verizon for hours trying to get them blocked .

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdJohnAdams
I hate answering my phone to numbers I don't know, that one has given me a call a few times, and I've ignored.

My phone company offers a service they call "Privacy Manager". I pay a little extra for it, but I got zero political calls during the last election and get zero marketing calls - fraudulent or otherwise - at dinner time or any other time.

You all might want to check that one out.

[edit on 3/31/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
One quick not on this issue is that this was a call made to my cellular phone. I use this phone for both my buiness and personal use.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
This identical style of scam is all over europe in the past few years. The phone number you are trying to access is a ghost number. When you press the pre-defined digits on your own cell phone you WILL ALLOW them to use your cell phone in making any local or international phone calls while you will be billed. They WILL be able to listen to every incoming or outgoing call. They WILL have access to all your stored information within your cell phone. If you connect to the Internet via your cell phone then they WILL have all your information that is stored on your laptop.

This method also works via sms .

edit : Try and inform as many people as you can.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by tristar]

Can you provide some evidence to back this up as I can't find anything about this apart from your post on this thread.

Google comes up with absolutely nothing which is a little suspicious

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdJohnAdams

Here in Toronto, I must have received that Car warranty call about 10 times in the last 2 months! It says something about "this being your second reminder that your car warranty is about to expire...." and by then I've ended the call. Almost everybody (+-30) at my office have received this call in the last 3 months - and ALL on their cell phones.

Might also have something to do with the "Do not call list" in Canada being leaked?

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by arnold_vosloo

Sir/Madam,

Obviously i cannot show or post how one is capable of doing this, the reason why I explained the most primitive style is to allow people viewing this topic to understand and realize that its REAL its does happens and be ACHIEVED. I WILL not provide through public post or private messages the method used to achieve this.
I only responded to the original post to inform the viewers that this is REAL and CAN be achieved with minimal knowledge.
In closing i care not, what goolge or any other search engines have as information as i rarely use them when it comes down to back end ACCESS.
All i would like to point out to yourself and fellow readers is that ITS REAL and do not think otherwise.
If by any chance you failed to see my post, i did ask if this could be in some way kept open and not lost within the infinite posts on this site as it is here to help any and all unsuspecting possible citizens. I am only here to help in my own minute way and not to do otherwise.
>Please inform your local authorities if you encounter identical or similar methods<

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I honestly back up the idea of not showing how some of these scams can be done. I know some old hacking tricks some of which still work, but I dare not mention them. I guess it goes in to the saying that a lock is to keep a honest man honest. In other words if you don't know how you won't try.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

dear sir / madam

you miss the point - COMPLETLEY

mr vosloo is NOT asking you to explain the methodology of the scam - merely to provide 3rd party confirmation that your claim is true

because unless you are the only person in the world that has penetrated the scam you describe - then both i and mr vosloo expect thsat independant warnings of its nature would have been posted - as they have been for al other known scams

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Without sounding arrogant or misleading or hostile, but without showing you how its done, you obviously will not believe me. Since i WILL not show the methods involved, i cannot force you in trusting me what i have posted.
All i would like to say is that YES its ABSOLUTELY TRUE, these methods have been used with similar or exact methods as i posted previously. I am not here to act as some super wiz geek. I am just stating that yes its TRUE and yes i HAVE achieved similar access and above what has been posted to cell phones, with the full understand of participants to stress the flaws involved in certain cell phone models.

edit: 3rd party information is not what i deal with, its people similar to myself who provide so called "3rd party's" with information, who then go on to post the flaws on various black hat forums. As a result, idiots perform or try to perform scams on unsuspecting citizens and end up being victims.

As i have said.
*Please inform you local authorities of any or similar methods*

[edit on 31-3-2009 by tristar]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Without sounding arrogant or misleading or hostile, but without showing you how its done, you obviously will not believe me. Since i WILL not show the methods involved, i cannot force you in trusting me what i have posted.
All i would like to say is that YES its ABSOLUTELY TRUE, these methods have been used with similar or exact methods as i posted previously. I am not here to act as some super wiz geek. I am just stating that yes its TRUE and yes i HAVE achieved similar access and above what has been posted to cell phones, with the full understand of participants to stress the flaws involved in certain cell phone models.

edit: 3rd party information is not what i deal with, its people similar to myself who provide so called "3rd party's" with information, who then go on to post the flaws on various black hat forums. As a result, idiots perform or try to perform scams on unsuspecting citizens and end up being victims.

As i have said.
*Please inform you local authorities of any or similar methods*

[edit on 31-3-2009 by tristar]

Well unless you invented this yourself someone told you about it or you read about it somewhere.

I am merely asking for evidence that this exists. If it does it will be somewhere on the internet. Information such as that does not stay secret and will be somewhere.

Until you can back up your claims I'm afraid I will have to consider what you said an urban legend without any basis in fact.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by arnold_vosloo

Just not sure how to make this clear to you. This is no urban legend, this is happening in some part of the world everyday. Its what you or main stream media call as hackers. Obviously its no real secret, as for the internet, well im sure it exists in some form, but as always, when you decide to search anything similar you will need to search for yourself. If your requesting internet articles on this topic then a simple google search will bring you the feed back your asking. There are thousand of victims who have been subjected to this matter. You more or less do understand that it is illegal to conduct such exploits, that being said, i guess its upto you to decide if its real.

All i can assure you is that keep this post in mind, so if and when you are a victim or someone was grazed by this method, then you can revert back to this post and mention your own thoughts.

*Notify any similar conduct to your local Authorities*

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

So unh hey Whitey , you wanna play with me ...

You mean me..hehe ?

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I Hate Hate, hate Scammers!!. Honestly the US Govt. needs to really crack down on ANYONE who tries to scam.. Send a clear message that if you get caught scamming it's 20 Years in prision. Regardless if it's your 1st time or 10th time..Usually though most scams take place over seas.

Also my advice to ANYONE who has a bank account and uses a debit card. Go to your bank and set up Electronic money transfer protection. Also give them(your bank) your phone # and tell them to call you if ANYTHING comes up suspious. Electronic money transfers are by far the most dangerous. Try to pay you big bills by check. And NEVER use a debit card on line! If you have to use a card to buy something on line use a regular credit card!! Banking on line is crazy. there's just so many bot's, traces, worms virus's it's better to just not take the chance.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Molan27
I Hate Hate, hate Scammers!!. Honestly the US Govt. needs to really crack down on ANYONE who tries to scam.. Send a clear message that if you get caught scamming it's 20 Years in prision. Regardless if it's your 1st time or 10th time..Usually though most scams take place over seas.

Also my advice to ANYONE who has a bank account and uses a debit card. Go to your bank and set up Electronic money transfer protection. Also give them(your bank) your phone # and tell them to call you if ANYTHING comes up suspious. Electronic money transfers are by far the most dangerous. Try to pay you big bills by check. And NEVER use a debit card on line! If you have to use a card to buy something on line use a regular credit card!! Banking on line is crazy. there's just so many bot's, traces, worms virus's it's better to just not take the chance.

I guess i should have posted this earlier. If you do choose to purchase online products. You MUST open a pre-paid credit card. Simply, its a credit card which only you refill the amount and thats it, you cannot over draw on it since its a virtual account created by the bank for specific uses such as internet purchasing. As this is not connected to any physical bank account you have, therefore its totally useless to anyone other than the person who is authorized to use it. Usually people place a maximum sum of about 200 $ and thats about it.
Once again, the card is not connected to any banking account at all.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
This ATM scams is being reported all over the place another popular and more sneaky one is the PC repair scam... anything to separate suckers from their money

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join