It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEW ATM Scam..!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Heads up the fraud calls have started..!!!

I just got a phone call from 866-252-2105. The pre-recorded message stated that my First National Bank and Trust ATM had been canceled and in order to re-activate it I needed to press a certain key. It then asked personal information. The key problem is that I don't have a bank account with that company...!! I called the FBI and turned it in. So please let everyone know whats up.

Fraud is going to get real ugly with the economy as it is. Make sure you hang up and call your local branch before you give any personal information. If it happens to you then turn it in. NEVER give personal information to an unsolicited call.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I hate answering my phone to numbers I don't know, that one has given me a call a few times, and I've ignored.

Googling the number yielded a bunch of discussion on this number being fraudulent.

But yeah I feel sorry for the guy that falls for it.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
One of the last good world citizens.

Thank you!

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdJohnAdams
I hate answering my phone to numbers I don't know, that one has given me a call a few times, and I've ignored.

Googling the number yielded a bunch of discussion on this number being fraudulent.

But yeah I feel sorry for the guy that falls for it.

I keep trying to google it and I keep getting no match results, I have tried it in the following forms:

1-866-252-2105 = no results
Google 1-866-252-2105

866-252-2105 = no results
Google 866-252-2105

(866)252-2105 = results but they are legit buisnesses.
Google (866)252-2105

252-2105 = results but they are legit buisnesses.
Google 252-2105

This is now kinda wierd. How could the number not show up. I didn't think you could have a private 866 number. Maybe there is more to the story.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I am bumping this up because it is way too important to just let get by. There are too many people who aren't quick enough to catch on to such scams. What if it was your family that got tangled up in this scam. The only way we can stop these kind of scams is to keep everyone informed of them and to help people know what to look for.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Find out what area code 866 is from. Recently, weve been getting calls from Jamaica, business people who pose as banks n crap.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Man, not only are some people trying to squeeze the last bit of ketchup (money) from the bottle (people), they're washing it down with water then squeezing it out again

The pursuit of money really sucks for the world.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I got news for you, they don't need that scam.

A while back I went to check my bank account and saw that my max ATM withdrawal had been made at 11:58 pm and then when the date rolled over they maxed it again.

The card was still in my wallet. I never use bodega or other dicey ATM's for this reason and I am always careful to see if there is anyone within viewing distance.
Bank suspects that they tapped into the reader, downloaded the card info, spoofed my card and had someone with binoculars at a vantage point to monitor PIN's.

Fortunately, the bank refunded the money quickly, but it was amazing that they could rob me without any direct info exchange taking place.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
The "866" area code is one of the new Toll Free numbers. Here is the google search for it. The first site is a .edu site showing it as being added to the list.

Google "866"

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Does anyone know how to lookup a 866 number so we can do our own investigation as to who or what these scams go to? I would like to see where it all goes. They never seem to be able to catch these people.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
This identical style of scam is all over europe in the past few years. The phone number you are trying to access is a ghost number. When you press the pre-defined digits on your own cell phone you WILL ALLOW them to use your cell phone in making any local or international phone calls while you will be billed. They WILL be able to listen to every incoming or outgoing call. They WILL have access to all your stored information within your cell phone. If you connect to the Internet via your cell phone then they WILL have all your information that is stored on your laptop.

This method also works via sms .

edit : Try and inform as many people as you can.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by tristar]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
How does that whole phone take over part work if you don't give them the ESN number of your phone? I'm not doubting you. I'm just trying to figure out how to beat the scam.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Its a combination of keys, when you strike those keys you will enable an internal code built into the cell phon3 which will create a ghost phone.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
The only bad part about letting others know what keys that is would be that you would inform others how to do this. Thus creating more scam artists. Is there not a way that the phone companies can program in a way that makes it not remote accessible like that? I understand that there has to be a back door into a phone but shouldn't the set it up to where you have to have the phone in your possesion to activate it?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeaderOfProgress
The only bad part about letting others know what keys that is would be that you would inform others how to do this. Thus creating more scam artists. Is there not a way that the phone companies can program in a way that makes it not remote accessible like that? I understand that there has to be a back door into a phone but shouldn't the set it up to where you have to have the phone in your possesion to activate it?

Just to clarify on how it works without getting into detail. If i had your phone number or just any random number, provided were in the same country, i can dial your phone number leave a message on your voice mail or via sms requesting you to phone a particular number, when you dial that number you will be asked to strike keys to allow you to hear the voice message. Thats how its done. Even if you change your cell provider the cell phone itself is still accessible providing you know the new cell network provider. What many people fail to understand, is that with all these new iphones etc on the market, there as safe as swiss cheece.
For the record, i have successfully tested this and its REAL.

* Just a thought perhaps there could be an area within this site were people could post new scam threats for the benefit of unsuspecting citizens.*

[edit on 30-3-2009 by tristar]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I kinda like that idea. The scams will only get more difficult to identify. It will really get tricky once the people inside the financial companies and cell phone companies start scamming us. Not that they aren't already with the bank bailouts and such.

BTW. I don't like the new gen phones. There are just too many ways to compromise your personal security with them. I stick with my cheap razor phone and in return I don't have to worry about breaking it or getting it stolen.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Indeed i still own afew old models which i love to use as there programing is so simple and affective its actually very disturbing. One trick i like using is i change afew internal settings so when ever someone decides to call me, he will either receive message "the number does not exist" or buzy dial tone or the most funny one is that i have no cell signal. All the while any of these three methods are running i can visually see who is dialing me regardless if he has a private or non caller id system.
The more people tend to rely on new digital systems the more the information anyone can have access to.

The safest way to totally kill your cell signal is to remove the battery.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
why is THIS in skunk works? It's almost certainly a real thing, completely within the realm of plausibility. It should go somewhere more reflective of that.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
If the mod's would like to move it I won't complain. I wasn't sure where to post it.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I really hate to not back up what I said. I don't have it saved in my search engine anymore and it's not in my phone.

I just received a call from 1-608-935-0835.
This is one of the many I get on the random, may not have been the exact number, my fault.

Car Warranty's .
Apparently they too want a lot of information from you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join