It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEW ATM Scam..!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I never pick up the phone if I don't recognize the number, ever.

you never know who's on the other side of that call.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

can a phone call ` origin number ` bee spoofed ?

you can spoof IPs and email orignins

i am under the belief that the call ID is SENT by the exchange that the phone is in diurect contact with -

so if you can subvert the exchange - you could in theory send any number you wanted as call id

edit - PS kudos to theOP for bringing this type of lowlife activity to ATS attention - flagged to help make sure all ATS reads it

[edit on 31-3-2009 by ignorant_ape]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Shakezoola

really ??????????????

isnt that just a bit paranoid ?

what if a friend / relative is stuck and thier mobile has died - so they ring you from a call box ??????????

i always answer the phone - but if its an unknown caller - i am deliberatly vague and even evasive - i will admit nothing till i determine that i want to speak to them

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeaderOfProgress
Heads up the fraud calls have started..!!!

I just got a phone call from 866-252-2105. The pre-recorded message stated that my First National Bank and Trust ATM had been canceled and in order to re-activate it I needed to press a certain key. It then asked personal information. The key problem is that I don't have a bank account with that company...!! I called the FBI and turned it in. So please let everyone know whats up.

Being a person who has been a victim of identity fraud, I can say, this is only the tip of the iceberg. While I have never responded to a call like this, without directly checking with my bank first, there are some out there who can still figure everything about you, out!

My recommendation is to flag your account with all 3 credit boards, as to unusual activity!

The key, is to be proactive, and not wait for phone calls like this to happen to you!

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
In the Uk there is a thing called the telephone Preference Service. (TPS) which stops nuisance calls like this. Get on it if you're not allready, it's free and effective.

is there a simular thing in the US?

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
The only way to truly protect yourself from this kind of scam is:

1) U2U me with your name, address, telephone number, bank account details and any pin numbers and user names and passwords you have

2) Sit back safe in the knowledge that I will protect your account

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seriously though, good heads up. Doubtful anyone on this particular site isn't suspicious enough already not to fall for it. The only answer is common sense. NOONE you bank with will ask for your information over the phone. If they do, tell them YOU will look up THEIR number and call them back.

Did he sound like this guy?? www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I let my answering machine screen all my calls. I only pick up if someone starts to leave a message and it's someone I know and I want to talk to them. That takes care of the telemarketers, the scammers, and the inlaws!

Has anyone received any weird e-mails recently about their ATM cards? I see my husband just got one concerning "ATM Card Notice". I thought it looked suspicious because neither of us has an ATM card. We do not know the sender so have not opened the message.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Charis

Dont respond to that mail. It is a scam. Though the email will appear legitimate, take a look at the mail address. It will not belong to the bank, instead there will some additional/changed name. Also dont click on the link, it will install malware and trojans on your computer.

[edit on March 31st, 2009 by peacejet]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
So has anyone tried to call the number back?
Classic. I'm stuck out here in qatar and this just made my day.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I have actually had the bank themselves ring me up & start asking for personal details, it's usually when they're trying to sell you something.

I just refuse to play ball - they get really wound up! They can't talk to you about some specific thing if you don't confirm who you are.

I remind them that they rang me & I'm not about to start giving out my personal details just because they say that they work at the bank.

It makes for really short sales calls.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

Ixquick has an international phone directory... I will look it up. Aren't these 800 phone numbers sold to people? If this is a scam, I hope they are caught.

us2.ixquick.com...

Here is a link if anyone else is curious.

Hmm. I got no results. It has come in handy a couple of times though.

[edit on 02/21/09 by daeoeste]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere, but PLEASE take 1 minute to call the Do Not Call Registry for the U.S. Starting April 1st I believe, all cell phone numbers will become publicly available to telemarketers and the like.

Call 888-382-1222 from the phone you want registered.

I know this won't prevent scammers from calling you, but maybe it will cut down on other types of annoying calls!

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by EarthFairie
I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere, but PLEASE take 1 minute to call the Do Not Call Registry for the U.S. Starting April 1st I believe, all cell phone numbers will become publicly available to telemarketers and the like.

Call 888-382-1222 from the phone you want registered.

I know this won't prevent scammers from calling you, but maybe it will cut down on other types of annoying calls!

Just taken from the National Do Not Call Registry

Your registration will not expire. Telephone numbers placed on the National Do Not Call Registry will remain on it permanently due to the Do-Not-Call Improvement Act of 2007, which became law in February 2008. Read more about it at www.ftc.gov...

If you're on the Do Not Call Registry, you're safe from the majority of telemarketers and the like. However, remember that scams will always find a find to get to you.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I had a little 10 year old come to my door awhile back selling cookies for his school, I bought ten dollars worth, well when the date that I was supposed to get them passed I called the school, come to find out they dident have a cookie sale during that time. So I got taken for ten bucks from some 10 year old on the take. All the paper work he had looked real. Im sure his parents invested a couple bucks into this scam to make it look like a real thing. So be careful and question everything going on.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by tac109
I had a little 10 year old come to my door awhile back selling cookies for his school, I bought ten dollars worth, well when the date that I was supposed to get them passed I called the school, come to find out they dident have a cookie sale during that time. So I got taken for ten bucks from some 10 year old on the take. All the paper work he had looked real. Im sure his parents invested a couple bucks into this scam to make it look like a real thing. So be careful and question everything going on.

Oh, my............LOL! Not to laugh at you, but here is a story I must share.

I worked at a collection company for many years, after my payroll position with Honeywell was moved to Canada.

Anyway, one of the collectors wives sold a lot of crap to people under the guise of collecting for a school. Fund raiser deal.

She collected the funds, and never returned the merchandise.

Her husband was fired for this, and they were added to the collection company roster for free, to the school to collect absconded funds!

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
[edit on 31-3-2009 by RE2505]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
There was a guy here in the UK was selling FA Cup Final seats "best seats available" etc... and charging about £100 over face value.

Anyway, you always sell FA Cup final seats - whatever the price, so he agreed to sell to every person who called and when the cash arrived he stuck by his word and sent out foldaway directors chairs with the words FA Cup Final printed on the back! Cost him about a fiver each!

Got away with it too... he never mentioned 'tickets' in the ad.

They'll always think of a way

[edit on 31-3-2009 by Pr0t0]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I received a similar call on my cell phone (which is on the do not call list) the other day and I NEVER get solicitor calls. Anyways, it was the same type of call but a differnt bank. I didnt even listen to the whole recorded message. I hung up. I also didnt even bother tracing the number, as I know these scams go thru ghost numbers.

Eventually some gullable person is going to fall for it - that is how they will make their $$

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I believe that these types of scams are the reason for videos like this, to warn the public that we are juicy pickins for over-sized, over-geeked, money-desperate countries. They can change the name and number your caller ID shows by hacking your cable box.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Also guys, there is a bad paypal scam, they send you what appears to be a normal email asking for info, links to a page that is identical to paypals, you login with your user and pass and bam! My g/f had it happen to her a few days ago, they managed to only get like 160 on her credit card before we caught it, BEWARE!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join