It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why'd you choose the military?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I know there are too many military personnel here to even list (or give credit to). I just wanted to know why you chose to be a part of the military and how hard was your decision? Did your family and friends back you 100%, or were there reservations on their part? If so, what?

This goes to defense contractors too like intelgurl. Why did you choose to work for further development for systems designed for infiltration and destruction? Was it money or otherwise? Have an interest in the military prior to your career?

I'm definately not going to judge anyone. I just would like to hear stories about associations with the military. I find the subject intriguing and wish to show my appreciation for anyone willing to put their lives and brains on the line for their beliefs. Just, what made you leave the ranks of the civilians and dedicate yourselves to a greater cause?

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
When I went to college right out of highschool, i was going for Jazz Trombone and Music Composition.

I spent the term getting high and drinking mainly, so obviously I was asked not to come back after Christmas break.

I worked for about a year and a half and found myself going nowhere fast, so I decided I needed a real change.

My father was in the Navy for 21 years, so I thought that was the way to go, but I wanted to go all out.

So I strode into the Marine Corps office and said I wanted to go infantry and I wanted to leave ASAP. I had a girl I swore I would marry and wanted to give her more than I could offer at the time (although that was not the only reason).

I was at Parris Island 8 days later.

It redirected my life and got me back into college (U.S. Merchant Marine Academy).

It's been a crazy life so far. Now I'm back in Fairfax Va doing Real Estate.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
I was at Parris Island 8 days later.

How'd you like Beaufort, SC? That's my (American) hometown! That whole area is heavily marinated. Anyway, I'm a tenor sax player myself and I always thought I was a sea merchant in a past life. So we've got a few things in common. Thanks for sharing. And what I truely think about your decision to regain civilian status warrants a U2U... Don't want to seem too idiotically judgemental and close minded in the thread.

I started this thing to see what I was missing and did not understand. Though I hold military personnel in the highest regard, I would never draft myself for personal ideologies.

But KJ, you found yourself interested in the military for the reason that you wanted to do something with your life but were not in control yourself? I don't fully understand your decision but get the gist that you thought the military would do something for you that you could not do yourself. Am I right? I'm a young fella so feel free to school me.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by insite

How'd you like Beaufort, SC? That's my (American) hometown!

Really didn't get to see it. From what I drove through, it seemed nice. I'd like to go back there someday to see what my civilian eyes can catch and help remember the experience. It was pretty intense.

But KJ, you found yourself interested in the military for the reason that you wanted to do something with your life but were not in control yourself? I don't fully understand your decision but get the gist that you thought the military would do something for you that you could not do yourself. Am I right? I'm a young fella so feel free to school me.

Well, sometimes the holes we dig ourselves in are deep, and drastic measures needed to be made.

I had not (at that point) done anything of real merit and was not desirable to employers.

I did it to break away from the drugs/drinking/and friends that seeked to do me harm with their distructive ways.

I was looking for a fresh start, and I got that. I grew a lot and gained self-discipline.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by insite
I know there are too many military personnel here to even list (or give credit to). I just wanted to know why you chose to be a part of the military and how hard was your decision? Did your family and friends back you 100%, or were there reservations on their part? If so, what?

I joined up out of a sense of duty. I am the third generation in my family to join (and go to war). I wanted to do my part to help defend this country.

My immediate family was happy with my decision and they supported it. The only time they ever showed any negative feelings was on 9-11 when I called home and told them that I did not know if or when I would talk to them again.

It has given me oppurtunities to make a difference and work with alot of allied countries. It gave me direction and taught me responsibility in a way that no civilian could ever understand.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I joined because I had absolutly nothing going on at the time and it seemed like I was going nowhere. I liked basic.(after I was out) It put me in a lot better shape than I was before. Made me put a few pounds on my skinny frame.

The odd part is that it turns out I might have athsma. Which would explain a lot of the strange things that happen when I run in certain weather conditions. I thought it might be my heart at first(I was having chest pains)but now when I go to do a PT test I can't run or do anything too physical because I can't breath. It seems to me like the Army is ignoring it, just because they don't want to make it a problem. They refuse to pay for any medical bills or run any tests because it's a 'pre-existing' condition. I was told by my acting commander that asthma is a military disqualifier.(which I could cope with very easily) Then I was told by a PFC that it isn't always a disqualifier if they can regulate it. I'm not sure what to believe, and now that I've read over my contract again I have spotted some things that I don't remember signing my name next to.

Also, my original time for my run (before basic) was a 6:32 min mile, my time after finishing basic was 14:42 for two miles(7:21 for one mile), the next test was 16:32 two mile(8:16 for one mile), and my last test was a 17:37 two mile(about an 8:49, which I almost fell out of)

Don't get me wrong, I like the military. I enjoy what we do, and I like what we stand for. What I do not like is how a lot of things are done, and all the BS that rolls downhill to all of the lower ranks.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Joined the Navy back in 1989, I had been out of high school for a year and was working at Sears. Got tired of that scene and decided I wanted to do something good for myself.

I decided that I wanted to travel the world. Ok, now comes the biggest issue, money. My dad was in the Army, but I didn't want to do that. My first choice was the Air Force, but during my second interview the the recruiter, he asked be if I smoked pot, I told him no, never have, he says to me you never have, come on, everyone has... told him not even one time, he called me a liar, so I walked out and went to the Navy recruiter...

Took the ASVAB 2 days later and on the 4th day was at MEPS. I was on my way to Boot 7 days later.

Sunny Orlando Florida... in July and August... whew it was hot !

I about 3/4 way through boot, I developed a back problem, couldn't hardly walk much less march and do the morning P.T. after seeing 3-4 doctors I was told that I would have to be discharged on medical. No compensation or anything as it was a "pre existing condition".

Even though I was only there 6 weeks, I miss it, I was looking forward to a career in the Navy.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
If I end up choosing the army, it will probably be because of a lack of other choices/options.

I'm not going back to regular schools at 21. No way. Plus, I can't wait to get the hell outta here (parent's home) and the army would be the only easy way I see.

top topics

join