It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

nigerian scammers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
i've been talking to this nigerian scammer for awhile, she wants 300 dollars US to get her mom surgery, i had a great log saved and the last convo that we had 15 minutes ago i saved - cntrl-c, pasted in notepad, saved - THE FILE WAS BLANK WHEN I WENT TO VIEW IT...wtf? i know computers....

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
They did not want a record so the did something to keep you from making one. Is the file blank? What is the file size? I have seen a trick where the text is set to white just like the back ground and the page looks blank. Try a copy and paste on to a colored back ground.
[edit on 3/25/2009 by fixer1967]

[edit on 3/25/2009 by fixer1967]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

It doesn't matter what color the text is. Notepad discards that information and displays the text in monochromatic.

IRM

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Try using a program other than notepad, if there is text it should appear in one of the many text programs. They usually are in white or silverish/gray colour.

I remember those scams I always offer to fly out to the and pick up it myself if there is any truth to what there saying they wouldn't mind and if there lying you will never hear anything from them again.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
reply to post by fixer1967

It doesn't matter what color the text is. Notepad discards that information and displays the text in monochromatic.

IRM

OK. but what is the file size? The text still may be there but hidden some how.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Make a copy of the file and change it's file extension from .txt to .htm. Alternatively you could try changing the extention to .doc.

If there's some ASCII errors, changing it to another extension may yield results, though it's not guaranteed. I don't know of any characters they can insert into a chat box that will render the text useless in regards to saving. It's probably an error with messenger.

I used to save my messenger chats as RTF. Never had a prob.

IRM

[edit on 25/3/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
ok it's working today, weird - i'm going to edit it a bit and post, this is funny as hell...i have better ones on my other computer, i love messing with these idiots...here it is, only the names have been changed to protect the guilty parties, and i edited the cusswords...this was on yahoo:

BUZZ!!!
k4rma: see, told u i talk to u when i'm online
BUZZ!!!
d_perrota: okay and u are now
k4rma: huh?
k4rma: i'm alright
d_perrota: so whats the timve over there ?
k4rma: 10pm
k4rma: u?
k4rma:
d_perrota: the time 4am here
k4rma: damn, where are u?
d_perrota: as i told u. am in nigeria as i said
k4rma: oh, i thought u said u were in atlantsa, georgia - usa
k4rma: *atlanta
d_perrota: that was were i camr from but not in state
k4rma: huh?
BUZZ!!!
k4rma: if u would meet me face-to-face i would do it
d_perrota: you will do what . when we meet face to face?/
k4rma: give u tha money u need
d_perrota: but its not that possible. cos i will need to see my ill mom doing much better before i could be on my way okay
k4rma: well i only got satellite internet, no way to wire-transfer without going to tha mainland
k4rma: u would have to fly here to give me the money
d_perrota: yeah that will be when mom feel wells okay.. so how soon will u help with tyhat ?
k4rma: as soon as u fly here and give me the money i can get it flown back to the states and ur mom will be all better
BUZZ!!!
k4rma: how does that sound??
d_perrota: sound great. if you are ready to help mom out
k4rma: yea, fly to my island, stay a few days, i'll send tha money u give me to my guy in tha states and everything will be cool
k4rma: u gotta come here tho
k4rma: otherwise i can't help ya
d_perrota: there's no way i can come and let my mom issue result in come
k4rma: well send me $300 and i'll fill my plane and fly out to bring u tha money
d_perrota: woooooooooow thats cool. but i had told you that i had nothing on me
k4rma: all i got is an empty plane
d_perrota: what do you mean by that
k4rma: i have a plane on the runway, it will take around $500 US dollars to get it off tha ground
d_perrota: okay
BUZZ!!!
k4rma: i can get it off tha ground right now, but no gas to make it to nigeria to get u tha money
d_perrota: go send money through the rightfull way
k4rma: ur gonna send me money? if u can i can get tha $300 u asked for, but it's gonna take $500 in my jet

edit kosmicjack - profanity

[edit on 26-3-2009 by k4rma]

[edit on 26/3/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
What's the deal with cutting Nigerian down to 'n-word'ian??

Just because the first 5 letters are in fact that N-word your trying so hard to avoid, You can't possibly offend anyone with Nigerian or Nigeria!! (in fact just North of Nigeria is a rather large country that shares a substantial border... Can I type it's name? Niger
)

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
LOL!

That was quite humorous how you played dumb for so long. Probably wasn't even a chick... just some hairy guy.

IRM

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
that's not the first time i have ripped him/her a new one....i have other logs too and i'll start keeping more, this happens every day almost...yea why did they cut nig3r down but say it in the title?

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I think that you are not allowed to post chat logs on the boards, as they are considered semi-private, and will be objectionable.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Edit
ouble post

[edit on March 26th, 2009 by peacejet]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
If you like to wind up scammers, then 419eater.com is a great place to go to.
They will give you ideas on how to wind them up so they bite their own kneecaps off to please you, AND more importantly, how to keep you safe.
It's a great sport and you'll find yourself getting really into it.

419Eater.com

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
thanks daisy, i'll check it out - i've had a lot of practice at this thing too, but other ideas are always welcome

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Daisy-Lola

Thanks for posting that link. LMFAO!

That site's the bomb!

IRM

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
that site is awesome, it's on now - thanks for the edit kosmic, i kinda started going off towards the end and wasn't sure of my limits on here, sorry i'll be more careful in the future - classic tho....

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
419eater is such a wonderful source of entertainment.

I've spent some time baiting the scammers. I prefer the romance scammers, but the advance fee (419 is the Nigerian criminal code for advance fee scams) ones can be just as amusing.

Should you continue leading along your scammer, make absolutely certain that you mention NOTHING that tells them anything about you. There are some very clever scammers, some of whom are capable of going to surprising lengths to deal with people they dislike. So exercise caution. I found that it helps to type out a profile of the person I'll be posing as. That way I can keep all of the details straight and consistent.
Luckily the majority of them are very obtuse and not all that bright. I suppose that that is what happens when there's hundreds or thousands of dollars seemingly within reach.

If you're communicating with them via email, I also suggest using an email service that does not show your IP address in the headers. GMail is probably the most convenient option.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I've been itching to bait a few of these guys along my self. I may give into the urge soon!

But seriously guys be careful doing it - they clearly are looking to steal ID's and scam people in any way they can. And I'm gonna guess if they can't do something with the little scraps of info you might let slip then they will share it with someone else.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
n-word'ia LOL thats just brilliant...as for the thread i dont care,laughing is keeping me occupied

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by k4rma
i've been talking to this nigerian scammer for awhile, she wants 300 dollars US to get her mom surgery, i had a great log saved and the last convo that we had 15 minutes ago i saved - cntrl-c, pasted in notepad, saved - THE FILE WAS BLANK WHEN I WENT TO VIEW IT...wtf? i know computers....

I used to be an online scam detective for nigerian scammers, and they specialized in that 419 and Relationship scams...some I had reported to FBI. And all I did was copy and paste the conversations to microsoft word and it stays there. Sometimes notepad does not save logs. Either that or copy and paste the IM convos and email it to yourself.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join