It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clinton admits US blame on drugs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Clinton admits US blame on drugs

news.bbc.co.uk

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says the US must take part of the blame for drug-related violence in Mexico.

Speaking as she arrived in Mexico, she said the US's appetite for drugs and its inability to stop arms crossing the border were helping fuel the violence.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Well well,finally they admit how much influence the war on drugs has had on mexico.And its from clinton no less! Im not from America but ive been reading how some towns on the border are being affected by the drug cartels,they are heavily armed and it doesnt seem like anyone is doing anything,Obama recently upped the anty or so i heard on last nights speech.What do you think? is this simply political posturing to appease an angry public?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

No, I don't think it's politcal posturing, at least not entirely. I think it's a prelude to something bigger going to happen that will affect all U.S. citizens. My personal opinion is that it's not the U.S. appetite for drugs that have caused the problem. It's the draconian and outdated laws concerning drug use that causes the product to cost so much that people will find it so profitable to become involved in the drug distribution system that they wlll kill and destroy to keep the flow of money moving into their pockets.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
She's right on the money. The first step in fixing a problem is to recognize what the problem is. These cartels aren't getting rich by selling the drugs to Mexicans or Latin Americans. The US needs to work with Mexico to deal a death blow to the cartels.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Next we'll have politicians getting praised for pointing out that water runs downhill

Not that I have any objection to what Hillary said, but it's pretty obvious.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Anyone also noticed she blamed the lack of the US stopping illegal weapons moving from here to Mexico?

You know, because not a single weapon comes from south of Mexico.

Looks like she's just laying the groundwork for another gun ban.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Is there really any way out of such a situation without ending the war on drugs though? the drug trades roots are so deep and so vast thats the only conceivable way to hit the drug cartels and put them out of business for good.And honestly can you see that happening in the near future? i certainly can't.With the drug trade comes money and with money comes corruption.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Juarez was a scary place 25 years ago and drugs were prevalent but not as it is today.....There is more traffic on the Mexican border since the drop in U.S. Military involvement in Nicaragua, Salvador, Columbia and Panama , and government aircraft involvement in the transport in effort to fund C.I.A. operations.... Mexico was just small potatoes in those days but have become the middlemen since Panama Drug lord got too greedy and was put in a U.S. Federal Prison. If the stuff was legal, it could be taxed and regulated and the profits would be lost to the criminal element and the government wouldn't spend so much on the a non existent War on Drugs.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
People can grow poppies without Afgahanistan and they can grow pot and coc aine without Mexico, again another red herring and an attempt to confuse people about some guns that these people use.

A made up excuse to stop the violence that results from drug trafficking, problem happens to be Americans can easily grow their own drugs, so it makes these argumetns about drugs appear dependent on people willing to buy their stuff, sure they exist, but if worst came to worst Americans would grow their own and should be allowed to grow anything that existed on this planet since the beginning.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

People can grow poppies without Afgahanistan and they can grow pot and coc aine without Mexico, again another red herring and an attempt to confuse people about some guns that these people use

The amount of drugs coming out of Mexico and Columbia is insane. You're not going to compete with them using hydroponics and basement pot farms LOL.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons

Well well,finally they admit how much influence the war on drugs has had on mexico.And its from clinton no less! Im not from America but ive been reading how some towns on the border are being affected by the drug cartels,they are heavily armed and it doesnt seem like anyone is doing anything,Obama recently upped the anty or so i heard on last nights speech.What do you think? is this simply political posturing to appease an angry public?

President Obama aside, I am honestly offended by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's assertion that WE, the American People, are to blame for Mexico's issues. What a pathetic cop out in an attempt to kiss Calderon's derriere this most certainly is.

[edit on 3-25-2009 by TheAgentNineteen]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
A lot of it goes to Canada too.
Most of the drugs route through Mexico, but I don't know if that means that Mexico itself is providing them.
But if people didn't like it, there wouldn't be a demand.Period.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
So, close the border. No drugs could go north and no weapons could go south. It is exactly that simple. The answer has always been that simple. Law abiding people would still be able to cross the border at will and commerce between our countries would not be harmed.

Clinton is playing the part of an Actor or Entertainer. She is just saying what she thinks people want to hear. The border will not be closed and they have no intention of doing anything that would actually close it. They believe this dog and pony show will shut their critics up for a while, so they read from the script.

Instead of reacting to what these people say, watch what they actually do. We could easily stop the guns from going south and the Mexican Government could just as easily stop the drugs from coming north. They clearly don't want either to happen and as long as the same people are in control nothing will change. They are just politically embarrassed because the news did its job and educated us about the fact more people are being killed along the border than in the war on Terrorism.

I would bet anyone that two years from now, nothing will have changed in regards to the border situation. Committees will be formed, reports will be written, Hillary will party in Mexico and her Mexican counterparts will party in D.C., but nothing will be done about the problem. To add insult to injury, they won't even invite us to their parties.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

We could easily stop the guns from going south and the Mexican Government could just as easily stop the drugs from coming north.

We can't even stop drugs from getting into our prison system. really not that easy to stop a business that our own government prospers off of.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
It would sure be a good excuse to fire up those internment camps though. They start with the druggies, say it's to solve this problem and for their own good anyway.

Then they could toss in the folks who might have a booze problem. (Goodbye ATS)

Once that's in place they wouldn't even need an excuse, they could toss in anyone for anything.

A few years later and everyone left is living in absolute fear of questioning authority.

I'm just being my usual paranoid self here, but it did cross my mind.

wupy

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
A timely article from Current

"Prohibition creates violence because it drives the drug market underground,"

Prohibition creates violence

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
First Nancy Pelosi calls us unamerican in front of a dominate hispanic crowd last week and now Clinton is doing blaming us for something, this time it is in Mexico.

I think we are about to see a huge change in immigration laws. We may not like it either.

[edit on 25-3-2009 by jd140]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
The guns are going into Mexico from the U.S.A. For the same reason that drugs are coming here from Mexico because of contraband laws.....I have always liked firearms. When i was in my early teens my father acquired a class 3 Firearms license by simply filling out too much paper work when filling out forms for the A.T.F. to sell Alcohol and Tobacco products and being thoroughly investigated..... He never went into the firearms business except to carry commonly used ammunition in stock behind the counter, which allowed me a good price for .22 rounds..... I can remember reading about Mexican gun laws and at the time it was illegal for any one in Mexico to own any type of military weapon or own any type of firearm that fired any ammunition that could be fired in a military weapon. Mexican gun laws are very restrictive and only licensed military or law enforcement purchasing agents can purchase military type weapons provided they have all of the proper credentials authorizing them to do so for government use..... Don't try to tell me that there aren't people in the gun business in this country that don't sell weapons of the type that are showing up down there.... I don't presently know of any gun dealers that would do that kind of thing but there has been people I met that would not have hesitated for a second if the profits were large enough.... The profit margin is what capitalism is all about and greed is what makes for skirting laws that stand in the way of big profits..... There are law breakers on both sides and the ones that are creating all of the violence aren't the ones that are using drugs, they are the ones that are the scape goats for the capitalist that are willing to kill people on either side of the border to improve the profit margin....Isn't the anti drug and gun restriction laws a great boon to our capitalistic way of life. You just got to love it.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen

President Obama aside, I am honestly offended by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's assertion that WE, the American People, are to blame for Mexico's issues. What a pathetic cop out in an attempt to kiss Calderon's derriere this most certainly is.

[edit on 3-25-2009 by TheAgentNineteen]

She never said that it was ALL of the issues.
And anyway, USA should stop buying drugs then. (Like that'll ever happen).

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
A lot of it goes to Canada too.
Most of the drugs route through Mexico, but I don't know if that means that Mexico itself is providing them.
But if people didn't like it, there wouldn't be a demand.Period.

Mexico grows pot and poppy. Cocaine comes from South America.

2nd ___

top topics

<<   2 >>

join