It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Knowing' an extremely Brave film, I'll tell you Why

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I don't know if any of you caught the movie "Knowing" by Alex Proyas over the weekend:

www.traileraddict.com...
www.knowing-themovie.com...
www.imdb.com...

Look this is the 3rd time within the span of a year that hollywood has allowed a feature movie film to tackle the 'Alien' subject, but not merely in a 'blockbuster' sense but its actually taking on a more serious & intellectual, sane perspective. Gone are the days of "ID4" and such.

This film 'Knowing' whilst I won't go into the minutia of the film or plot holes, over all is a VERY brave & interesting film, the way the Aliens are depicted and the message that we are totally at the mercy of the universe no matter what mankind does rings true with the 2012 phenomena.

Let me diverge BRIEFLY from this topic..has anyone noticed the recent spate of plane crashes caused by icing on the wing? Its not an unknown phenominon BUT something is odd..it seems to be happening when its not EXPECTED to be happening..meaning its catching people off guard. I believe that the weather system is changing dramatically, global COOLING is causing hethertoe known area of cold air to become even colder, its causing plane crashes because the pilots are not expecting there to be ice forming at those times..hence we're seeing more of these events.

Now back onto the film, the Aliens have 'chosen' children for whatever reason to be saved for repopulation on another world so humanity can continue, due to a massive celestial event from our sun (But it could be an ice age or whatever) for a major hollywood film to depict this I thought was astounding!
As with the recent "Day the Earth Stood Still" and even the last Indiana Jones movie..we're seeing a message & pattern here. Not only that its 'OK' to talk & depict alien life but its losing its snicker appeal which has been brainwashed into the population.

We've been programmed to react this way over the last 60 years 'oh its aliens, boy y'know those LITTLE GREEN MEN har-har!' I think this is dying down. At the screening I was at, about half the people clapped after the movie was over, and I heard a few laughs too..but they were definitely in the minority. The skeptics are on the losing side here..people are WAKING UP..society is WAKING UP..will it be enough to save us? I do not know..but film makers like ALex Proyas need to keep making movies which tackle these topics.
There's more to reality than what we have created in the past 100 years..we didn't get onto this planet by a random accident of chemicals, as we will shortly find out on Mars..life is EVERYWHERE.
In fact, the whole POINT of planets is to support life..some fail, some don't..but the universe's existence is to CREATE life..otherwise it wouldn't exist to begin with.

Discussion.

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 24 Mar 09 by Gools]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I'm going to have to watch that one, sounds very interesting. I too have noticed more implications of alien life in the media as of recently. Those stand out definitely but I still cant get over the Hulu commercial "because we're aliens and that's how we roll".

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I really recommend you do. Yea there are some moments I would consider 'soppy' between the main character and his son, some of the plot events probably dont stand up to scrutiny either, but taking it as a whole its a very interesting film, with a few themes within that are relevant to whats going on here, right now.
Even cutting out all the 99.9% of fakes & trolling stories which go on here, there IS a credible 1% of events which are completely real & unexplainable by normal events, but our culture has been so brainwashed to believe otherwise even when evidence is right there.
I believe films like this are helping us to WAKE UP, before its too late..

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I think we're going to see more and more films like this in the near future leading up to 2012. Am I a "2012'er"? - No.

I believe these films are part of the "disclosure" and "population control" agenda that the NWO has planned for us.

Make no mistake, any "catastrophe" in the year 2012 will be planned, engineered, and executed with the globalist agenda in mind.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I agree but you cannot discount possible ET influences on that particular scheme. Can't leave any stone unturned.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Well, without arguing about what 2012 actually is....

I kind of get this feeling sometimes...like when Hollywood picks up on a conspiracy...its not so much fun anymore...

Almost like once it goes mainstream...it can't be a conspiracy anymore...

Which must not be true, however, I'm sure there are some screenwriters, for example the guy who wrote 10,000BC (idea of ancient advanced civilizatons) and 2012, who are in to "fringe" ideas...and he uses them as movies!!!! He probably shows up at the studio and these producers are like "wow! what a great idea" probably oblivious to those subjects actual "following" when they decide to do the movie.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
While I do indeed believe that media are used to promote certain ideas, memes, advertizing and propoganda......

people with schizophrenia also think that "they" are sending messages about various matters via media.

Hollywood isn't "allowing" these movies to be made. They have people looking all over the web to help them determine their available markets. They know that media has been getting stale, and they want to know which buttons to push to titillate you.

They aren't necessarily sending you messages. You are just noticing that they understand their target market - YOU.

[edit on 2009/3/24 by Aeons]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by atsbeliever

I agree with global cooling, this year we had more snow fall in my area than we have had in probably the last 5 years combined. And occasionally, some years we don't get an inch of snow that actually sticks. This year we had several feet, and temperatures below -10celcius for quite some time, also unusual.

And to believe that we are the only intelligent life out there is both narcissistic and ignorant. Will they save us? Why the hell would they is my only question, unless they were our creators and wanted to see us continue for whatever perverted reason.

We are a failed race, so much intelligence wasted and trumped by terrible traits such as greed, willful ignorance, laziness, and hate for fellow man.

Oh yah, I've seen the movie, its pretty decent but a bit slower than I was expecting. My favorite part of the movie was when his religious father hugs him and says "This isn't the end son..."

[edit on 24-3-2009 by king9072]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Yea I liked that part too, it covered quite a lot of ground thematically which is good & bad, whilst trying to keep a mystery. I thought it was more successful than M.Nights "Signs" and had a better pay off, is it so far fetched to imagine that life on earth was started by another race, for whatever reason. We have souls & consciousness which other animals seemingly don't possess in the same way. we ARE special, not random chemical accidents..

[quote

Oh yah, I've seen the movie, its pretty decent but a bit slower than I was expecting. My favorite part of the movie was when his religious father hugs him and says "This isn't the end son..."

[edit on 24-3-2009 by king9072]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
First. OP please add a spoiler warning to your post title.
Okay.. that being said. I think this is necessary. They have done such a good job conditioning the public to reject the idea that they have to take some
serious measure to undo the damage they have done with concern to people's
attitudes about UFOs and Extraterestrials. They are watching, and no we don't know why, but something is coming. Of this I am certain. I have had dreams over the past 15 years that have given me an idea of what to expect. I knew when they came that they were more than a normal dream. History shows that the earth has gone through major overhauls like this before and it also shows if you pay attention to the legends of ancient cultures that some of us were saved by them before... just as the movie suggests.
The proof lies in Arizona.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Wow!
I am seeing a very strange pattern going on with this movie.

It seems that, without arguing, lines have been drawn concerning the theme.

Aliens or God. Now, I don't want to get into a debate about either. I am just stating that I thought the perspectives of people toward the movie were interesting.

I'm not sure if this is the case because of a lack of Biblical knowledge, or if it is despite having Biblical knowledge. But, it is happening.

For example, I saw it as a blatant nod to the Biblical Rapture, along with other Christian undertones.

It dealt heavily with

1. "Ezekiel's Wheel", "wheel in the middle of a wheel"
2. The "Four Living Creatures", four Cherubim, each having four faces
3. At the end, the protagonist realizes they will all be together again AFTER DEATH, and rectifies with his father. This is an acceptance of Heaven's existence.
4. And, let's not forget the final view of "The Tree of Life".

...here's a taste:

Ezekiel 1: 4-21
"Then I looked, and behold, a whirlwind was coming out of the north, a great cloud with raging fire engulfing itself; and brightness was all around it and radiating out of its midst like the colour of amber, out of the midst of the fire. [ This is what I saw! ]
Also from within it came the likeness of four living creatures. And this was their appearance:
they had the likeness of a man. Each one had four faces, and each one had four wings.

The creatures did not turn when they went, but each one went straight forward. As for the likeness of their faces, each had the face of a man; each of the four had the face of a lion on the right side, each of the four had the face of an ox on the left side, and each of the four had the face of an eagle. Thus were their faces. ...... And each one went straight forward; they went wherever the spirit wanted to go, and they did not turn when they went.

Now as I looked at the living creatures, behold, a wheel was on the earth beside each living creature with its four faces. The appearance of the wheels and their workings was, as it were, a wheel in the middle of a wheel. When they moved, they went toward any one of four directions; they did not turn aside when they went. When the living creatures went, the wheels went beside them; and when the living creatures were lifted up from the earth, the wheels were lifted up. Wherever the spirit wanted to go, they went, because there the spirit went; and the wheels were lifted together with them, for the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels. When those went, these went; when those stood, these stood; and when those were lifted up from the earth, the wheels were lifted up together with them, for the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels."

Ezekiel 3 : 13
" I also heard the noise of the wings of the living creatures that touched one another, and the noise of the wheels beside them, and a great thunderous noise."

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The more you talk about these kind of films, the more of them they'll make.

Hollywood may make commercial rubbish most of the time but they know how to win your pennies.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
YES!!!!*StARRED* Thats exactly what I was trying (and failed lol) to get at, excellent reply. Im frankly shocked its not being talked about more here, I guess the trolls posts are far more interesting?! Regardless, he brought the theme of ALIENS up against/combined with the theme of GOD, the afterlife and all that it entails. VERY thought provoking and I must say entertaining, especially for a main stream movie!!

Originally posted by SumnerKagan
Wow!
I am seeing a very strange pattern going on with this movie.

It seems that, without arguing, lines have been drawn concerning the theme.

Aliens or God. Now, I don't want to get into a debate about either. I am just stating that I thought the perspectives of people toward the movie were interesting.

I'm not sure if this is the case because of a lack of Biblical knowledge, or if it is despite having Biblical knowledge. But, it is happening.

For example, I saw it as a blatant nod to the Biblical Rapture, along with other Christian undertones.

It dealt heavily with

1. "Ezekiel's Wheel", "wheel in the middle of a wheel"
2. The "Four Living Creatures", four Cherubim, each having four faces
3. At the end, the protagonist realizes they will all be together again AFTER DEATH, and rectifies with his father. This is an acceptance of Heaven's existence.
4. And, let's not forget the final view of "The Tree of Life".

...here's a taste:

Ezekiel 1: 4-21
"Then I looked, and behold, a whirlwind was coming out of the north, a great cloud with raging fire engulfing itself; and brightness was all around it and radiating out of its midst like the colour of amber, out of the midst of the fire. [ This is what I saw! ]
Also from within it came the likeness of four living creatures. And this was their appearance:
they had the likeness of a man. Each one had four faces, and each one had four wings.

The creatures did not turn when they went, but each one went straight forward. As for the likeness of their faces, each had the face of a man; each of the four had the face of a lion on the right side, each of the four had the face of an ox on the left side, and each of the four had the face of an eagle. Thus were their faces. ...... And each one went straight forward; they went wherever the spirit wanted to go, and they did not turn when they went.

Now as I looked at the living creatures, behold, a wheel was on the earth beside each living creature with its four faces. The appearance of the wheels and their workings was, as it were, a wheel in the middle of a wheel. When they moved, they went toward any one of four directions; they did not turn aside when they went. When the living creatures went, the wheels went beside them; and when the living creatures were lifted up from the earth, the wheels were lifted up. Wherever the spirit wanted to go, they went, because there the spirit went; and the wheels were lifted together with them, for the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels. When those went, these went; when those stood, these stood; and when those were lifted up from the earth, the wheels were lifted up together with them, for the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels."

Ezekiel 3 : 13
" I also heard the noise of the wings of the living creatures that touched one another, and the noise of the wheels beside them, and a great thunderous noise."

[edit on 24-3-2009 by atsbeliever]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
s&f !

I haven't seen the movie...yet. Every time I see a movie of within the genre of 'Knowing' my mind goes back to 1977, when I heard something outside my 2 story bedroom window, which after seeing Star Wars, I believe the sound was that of a surveillance drone of some sort.

I'm not a 'big' fan of 2012, if at all, however, I'm definitely not going to throw it out completely either. IMO, movies are one of the best ways to get a message out to the masses, if not the best way. The message could be for propaganda purposes, warnings or disclosure.

Today, I believe we as human beings are in a war of mind with two sides, those that want to keep the knowledge suppressed about Aliens, UFO, and anything else you can possibly think of and those that want to disclose everything.

Brainwashing (also known as thought reform or reeducation) consists of any effort aimed at instilling certain attitudes and beliefs in a person — beliefs sometimes unwelcome or in conflict with the person's prior beliefs and knowledge, in order to affect that individual's value system and subsequent thought-patterns and behaviors. Wiki source

Based upon what I experienced in 1977, this has been going on since Roswell and earlier.

The biggest question I have is: Did we ever possess the technology for stealth surveillance drones back in '77? Following that rabbit hole will answer ALOT of questions with most of the UFO, Apollo conspiracies today.

Knowledge truely is ability (power). The closer to the knowledge you are, or possess, the more ability you have at your disposal or access to.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Well the movie isn't about 2012 but yea does deal with the similar theme I dont wanna give away anything for those who didn't see it.
As for drones in 1977 it was years before the stealth project was started and CPU power for computers was too limited to enable remote controlled drones in the sense we now know them. But to get back on track with the movie, as was said up above it deals with various fascinating themes of creation, god, aliens and fate all of these play together in one shape or form..

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I really do intend on seeing the movie but I do have a few tidbits to add:

1. The OP said "Hollywood Allowed" 3 or so movies like this. C'mon folks, as nerbot said it's all about profit.

2. Some people forget that movies are fantasy / fiction. Yes I know the one about "Art Imitating Life" (or vice-versa) But think about it. In the 50's you had "The Day The Earth Stood Still / 1951" and "War of the Worlds / 1953". In the 60's a TV series called "My Favorite Martian" etc. Then the whole "Disaster genre". These topics are nothing new.

Bottom line........I feel there is no sound correlation between entertainment (movies) and some machiavellian disclosure effort.

If meteorologists (funny name for weathernen) can't even predict the weather, do you think NASA can predict catastrophic solar flares?

No one is trying to "tell" you anything. They just want to "sell" you popcorn.

Regards...........KK

[edit on 24-3-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Time Capsule opened in my school.What was inside scared me to death...
This thread was started only two years ago... as someone living in L.A. for over 20 years, crossing paths with aspiring screenwriters constantly, let me tell you it takes much longer than TWO YEARS for an original idea to make it to the screen when a major film studio is involved... an original idea for a screenplay gets tossed around for years while the screenwriter tries to find a production company, etc., to who wants to make it into a film/finding investors, etc., etc.,.. .. the script and its original ideas get kicked around FOR YEARS... a mere two years from original idea to the screen? NOPE.

Then you start the process of trying to find big-name actors to be in your film, and those #ers -- via their management companies -- can wrangle for months/years about the actors' salary demands...

People, you have to understand that the whole process is just a time-consuming #-storm from original idea to the screen, and it takes FOREVER.

It is probably closer to the truth to say that whoever started this thread is a friend of a friend of a friend of the screenwriter who had the ORIGINAL idea for "Knowing" and just thought s/he'd give the idea a spin online, just for fun, just to see how ppl would react to the premise of the film... WHICH WAS MOST LIKELY ALREADY IN PRE-PRODUCTION.

Two years ago (when this thread was started) the film was either still in pre-production or that's about the time they started wrangling with Cage's people about his big, fat salary required to participate in this film. They didn't get the original idea here. No way.

Script-to-screen happens SLOWLY out in Hollywood. Little independent films can be churned out in months, but the key to remember is: The bigger the budget, the longer it takes to make the film. If you're dealing with a major film studio, they take their sweet time and there are many hoops to jump through, as there is so much money at stake, particularly a film like "Knowing" where you are using lots of special effects and big-name/big-salaried actors.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Uhm, I started this thread, TODAY. Whats all this "2 years ago.." business? and secondly, I only WISH I was involved in a film like this, I would freely admit it.
Truth is I got laid off from my job 8 months ago and been looking ever since, and there is not much hope out there right now so yea, if u wanna accuse me of being a hollywood worker I would gladly ACCEPT that position. I need a job.

Back on topic folks..

It is probably closer to the truth to say that whoever started this thread is a friend of a friend of a friend of the screenwriter who had the ORIGINAL idea for "Knowing" and just thought s/he'd give the idea a spin online, just for fun, just to see how ppl would react to the premise of the film... WHICH WAS MOST LIKELY ALREADY IN PRE-PRODUCTION.

Two years ago (when this thread was started)

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I disagree, there's no question its about the money but I believe if they just wanted a pure popcorn movie, why even delve into topics & story points like this? Why not just make it another Will Smith alien invasion movie?
I think Alex Proyas is a thought provoking director IN THE HOLLYWOOD SYSTEM.
I've liked his past movies (to a point!) Dark City, I-Robot -where they brought the entertainment value but also tried to say something and get a message across.
I dont believe he's connected to any secret movement for disclosure..but he's a human being like the rest of us, we're all tapped into this culture and information network and UFO's (like it or not) are prevalent in our culture and experience. Some of them may well be chinese lantirns and swamp gas, but there are clearly normal well adjusted people who have up close and personal views of nuts & bolts machines and even aliens. Its something one just cant escape IF your open to those considerations.
The director & writers had something to say on this topic and I thought it was kinda interesting, not entirely successful but still..people who come here to this forum should take an interest thats all Im saying. I have no stake in this movie (I only wish) and I doubt it'll make much money at the B.O. but hey, when I saw it at the theater some people actually CLAPPED at the ending which really surprised me, I guess they got the message?

Like I said, there's plenty of other avenues he coulda taken with this movie and it woulda been more successful IMHO (alien invasion blast em up movie) but he went a different way, it prob cost him some $$ but at the end of the day, there's another level to this than just a popcorn movie.

Take that for what you will.

Originally posted by kinda kurious

1. The OP said "Hollywood Allowed" 3 or so movies like this. C'mon folks, as nerbot said it's all about profit.

Bottom line........I feel there is no sound correlation between entertainment (movies) and some machiavellian disclosure effort.

No one is trying to "tell" you anything. They just want to "sell" you popcorn.

Regards...........KK

[edit on 24-3-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This is also being discussed

here

<<   2  3 >>

join