It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creationists seek end run around accreditation

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Rude or not, dosnt matter. But teaching something that is more or less based on a theory that might be 'accepted' by the common man as a fact ,that we are nothing but a branch of an specie at an higher level of understanding and actually drive a car to work , yet our forfathers if you will, still are up in the trees, makes me not to belive that is the case, at, all. That is the same as we are the 'top notch' of all species, and that is arogant, dont you think ?

Ohh, wait, does that mean the apes wrote the good-book too ?? I think not,I cant recall seing or hearing about any found writings in caves by monkey man..
why not? they are bussy climbing trees..

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
We share more DNA with chimps than we do neandertals. We are genetically more closely related to chimps?!

Not true according to recent research.

The results from the new studies confirm the Neanderthal's humanity, and show that their genomes and ours are more than 99.5 percent identical, differing by only about 3 million bases. source

A lot more genes may separate humans from their chimp relatives than earlier studies let on. Researchers studying changes in the number of copies of genes in the two species found that their mix of genes is only 94 percent identical. The 6 percent difference is considerably larger than the commonly cited figure of 1.5 percent. source

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather
Ohh, wait, does that mean the apes wrote the good-book too ??

Thank you for showing me your motivations and where you're coming from, as it prevents me from losing any more time discussing this with you.

Good day.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira
reply to post by ChemBreather

You guys can be monkeys all you want . Here's a banana for you..

You picked the wrong site to join my friend if you want to start Bible-thumping and spreading Christian propaganda to everyone unlike you.

That kind of diatribe only discredits yourself, not us.

[edit on 24/3/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

Salute, first off, im not a christian person, never have been.
And what you talking discrediting my self ? I dont know what you are talking about...
And I am not spreading propeganda, I dont care what belife systems you folks in here have, I just know it is no good for humanity since it is nothing but a reason to create a war somewhere..

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Bad idea. Creationism is the devout nutjobs' answer to science. They can't have it both ways. Either thet have blind faith or they don't - they trust in their god or they don't .

What would be a REALLY GOOD IDEA would be for the Government, or a freaternity of ex-teachers to come up with their own "accredited schools" cetificate, distribute it to everyone EXCEPT schools like this. That way he would be DISCREDITED....

Any formalised way that denounces creationism is good in my book.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Utter twaddle as usual,i dont expect anything less though.Creatonism or ID has to be one of the most ridiculous things i've ever had the pleasure of reading about in my life.Its so nonsensical it makes me laugh and cry at the same time.They still haven't brought forward any evidence in all this time...wonder why?

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

And I am not spreading propeganda, I dont care what belife systems you folks in here have, I just know it is no good for humanity since it is nothing but a reason to create a war somewhere..

I have never heard of the scientific community going to war over disputed theories. History however is riddled with religious persecution of scientists and their theories.

Religion= War

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

Beautifully surmised.

I just know it is no good for humanity since it is nothing but a reason to create a war somewhere

I'll tell you what's a reason to create a war.

Believing that your God is superior to all others, and that anyone who doesn't worship him is condemned to hell.

Since when have scientific hypothesises caused wars or conflict? Apart from when they ran up against the Church and refused to renounce facts as "blasphemy", like Galileo.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

I've had a little time to look into The Institute for Creation Research, and what can I say...

Young Earth Creationism--which combines the beliefs of Special Creationism of every species or "kind," Adam and Eve were real people, Noah's Flood actually occurred and created most geological features on Earth's surface, and a young Earth 10,000 years old or less--is still by far the most popular variety of Creationism in the country (not Intelligent Design Creationism), because it conforms to the views of Biblical Literalists. Although it is illegal to teach any type of Creationism in public schools--because doing so in secular public institutions violates the Establishment Clause of the U.S. Constitution--it is possible to teach it in homes, churches, Sunday schools, private schools, and home schools.

Source

This is crazy from my perspective. Talk about dividing people, allowing such opposing fundamental theories to be taught in a educational system. What a bright future this will breed.

Also turns out despite being against constitutional law

The latest effort is to teach high school students "intelligent design" - which attributes the origin of the world to an intelligent designer, without using the word "God," and embraces some aspects of science.

Next month, ninth-graders in Dover, Pa., will become the first public school students in the nation to be taught "intelligent design" alongside evolution.

Source

As I said, crazy.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by converge

I know this may sound rude, but your statements are of an ignorant person.

You are entitled to believe what you wish personally, but there's a well defined line between believing and knowing.

No, you're wrong converge, it sounds arrogant, rude, and typical of you, even with the disclaimer

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
If they are privately funded, isn't that their prerogative? I mean, what's your argument against giving out such a degree? You don't like it? I'm sorry, but for all tense and purposes, America is a free country (or used to be), and these things should be decided at a state level. Whether or not you agree with creationism, to suggest that a school be prohibited from teaching something just because you have a slant against fundamental Christianity is no reason. There are a lot of "crazy" degrees that you can get already, who cares if we add another one. They're not in a position where your life is dependent on their expertise, like a doctor. Or would you rather the federal government decide what and how we teach our children at every level? I'd rather have diversity, thanks.

Edit to add: I don't subscribe to the fundamental Creationist ideas and I don't subscribe to evolution fully either. Both have flaws, but that is a topic I don't want to breach. I just want to show that I am not protecting any interests other than the Constitution.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by Viral]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viral
I just want to show that I am not protecting any interests other than the Constitution.

You must have missed the part about this stuff being taught in public schools is against constitutional law. Its stated in the quote in my above post. So are you suggesting a amendment to the constitution to allow creationism/ID to be taught in public schools is in order?

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

The source the OP provided was referring to privately funded schools, not state funded public schools. I am more than well aware of the Establishment Clause, but the link you provided in the second part of your post was not part of the OP. I am addressing private schools.

Edit: Reread my post, the first sentence says "If they are privately funded..."

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I would never pay to go to Jesus College.

Some people would.

I think people should if they are going to be preachers or pastors or religion majors.

Other than that, if my school taught anything other than evolution, I just wouldn't pay to go.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   

If they are privately funded, isn't that their prerogative? I mean, what's your argument against giving out such a degree? You don't like it?

Despite how I feel about Creationism, I'm afraid I have to agree. What right does the government have to forbid an educational facility from calling its recognition of completion whatever it wants?

On the other hand, the public education system has no responsibility to recognize a "Master's Degree" from an unaccredited school as equivalent to one from an accredited school. And maybe a public service campaign informing people about the importance of accreditation in guaranteeing the quality of someone's education would be in order.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Ya I would say. Some people would have a big problem with wood peckers hiting heads on trees to end up forming a complex tongues and whales running around with big foot then back into the sea or bats samming their feet on the ground for years till they formed wings and could fly. What most people do not know is so called traditional science supresses very important finds. Not on the bases of evidence but on the bases of funding and etc. In other words they lie. The ID community would love to debate them. They have caught them so many times its not funny.
When I was in school it was do your own thing. Today its do our thing.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

The source the OP provided was referring to privately funded schools, not state funded public schools. I am more than well aware of the Establishment Clause, but the link you provided in the second part of your post was not part of the OP. I am addressing private schools.

Edit: Reread my post, the first sentence says "If they are privately funded..."

My error, you are correct. But as I quoted above, this has already been taught in at least one public school clearly against the law. I guess my problem is, despite my brain logically agreeing with you that private institutions have the right, that I can't see how this will not cause irrepitible damage to the cultural cohesion of the country. To be so far apart on something as fundemental as human evolution is troubling. We should all be taught a standard theory and if you choose to pursue alternative education, it is your constitutional right to do so. That does not mean such a education should have the same relevence and credibility however.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker

I have never heard of the scientific community going to war over disputed theories. History however is riddled with religious persecution of scientists and their theories.

Religion= War

He is talking to atheist, NOT the "scientific community" and by the way atheist, History is plastered with very notable Religious Scientists too. You many not believe the "Science Community" has not gone to war over them but they sure have mades some pretty destructive weapons for them. Well with the exception of evolutionsist's the only things they seem to make is manufactured evidence, fabricated fables foibles and fudged data. That's in addition to that so called mountain of evidence we always keep hearing about that turns out to be another "just so" story or more equivocations and logical fallacy.

It never ceases to amaze me how you guys can make a thread like this so you all can voice your ridicule of the "fundies" or "xtians" like the professional types you all think you are, when your so called science is no more a science than you say Id is not about Religion.. Most people are getting tired of the same old Piltdown piles of postulated puffery, and pedantic pious pomp and glitter.

You all ought to start a Choir with all this holier than thou tripe you sound more like a religion everyday

[edit on 25-3-2009 by Aermacchi]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Markafeller

The only thing i got out of your post was some amusing ironies.I think?
Nah forget that i couldn't make any sense of it except to say some people have a very warped view on evolution.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira
No sane, reputable head of an educational institution is going to seriously take "Creationism qualifications" from some two-bit, privately funded Bible-thumping school in Texas.

But isnt the real problem that most "two-bit, privately funded Bible-thumping school in Texas" schools wont write "two-bit, privately funded Bible-thumping school in Texas" on their diplomas? This idea would pretty much mean that every time you show your diploma as a qualification your employer would need to examine the curriculum of that school.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join