It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creationists seek end run around accreditation

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Creationists seek end run around accreditation

rawstory.com

If a private college doesn't receive funds from any governmental organization, should they have to be held to any standards or requirements when they award degrees? No, one Texan lawmaker is insisting.

Texas State Representative Leo Berman has proposed House Bill 2800, which would exempt any private non-profit institution that requires students to complete “substantive course work” from having to acquire a certificate of authority from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board(THECB). “If you don’t take any federal funds, if you don’t take any state funds, you can do a lot more than some business that does take state funding or federal funding,” Berman says. “Why should you be regulated if you don’t take any state or federal funding?”

Because creationism isn't science, critics argue.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
This seems like a really bad idea. If I were a student in Texas right now, I would worry about my certificate becoming a doodle pad to draw on if this bill passes. I can't imagine anyone accepting a state's educational certificates when that state hands out degrees for creationism.
This creationism thing is getting way out of hand. How can something that has no physical evidence of existence be reguarded as science? How can people accept their children being taught this stuff. Isn't that what christian/catholic schools are for if you want that kind of education for your kids?

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Creationalism is not science. It cannot be held to any scientific method. It's a theology. End of story.

IRM

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Critics of Berman's bill are enraged, claiming that it will de-legitimize any degree coming out of Texas. Eugenie Scott, executive director for the National Center for Science Education, told Foxnews.com that “all you have to do...is start a non-profit organization, don’t take any federal or state money, and then offer degrees in any fool subject you want. Teaching that the Earth is only 10,000 years old is a little irregular in modern science.”

Source

If this bill passes, they will be handing out legitiment diplomas for creationism. This will inevitably lead to lawsuits when these diplomas are not accepted despite being legal in Texas.

Can of worms if you ask me.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by FreeSpeaker]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Out of all the things going on right now I could care less if Texas allowed Creationist Degrees.

Think about it. What in the world would they even be used for?!

If they want to issue useless degrees I could care less.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Do you want your kids being taught by a teacher with a diploma from a creationist school? I certainly don't.

Doesn't say their only applicable in Texas, they can take their diploma anywhere if the idiots doing the hiring don't care.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

We have teachers here with no degrees teaching the children in my state.

If I had a choice though of who would teach my children I wouldn't want any fanatical creationist or militant antitheist teaching them. I wouldn't want either side being shoved down anyone's throat.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

While they may become the ultimate useless degree, the issuance of such garbage could have long term effects. First, they would set a precedent for other mentally challenged lawmakers in similar states who might think that this is a good idea. Second, they will flood the world with those trained to convince trusting souls that creationism is somehow another "scientific" theory that is as valid as evolution. When there is enough hoodwinked folks to vote in such nonsense, it will become ingrained in the educational system of those in the dimmer areas of the country. What will happen when true believers gravitate to those areas and those who wish to be educated leave? I believe that the country will be strongly polarized and this will lead to worse situations.
Nip it in the bud. Keep religion out of public education. The preachers can earn their money by working from the pulpit and shouldn't have state boards of education doing their work.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

We have teachers here with no degrees teaching the children in my state.

Really? Thats almost as bad as a full blown creationist or militant antitheist teaching your kids. At least I'd know how to counter they're crap, but a teacher with no education could literally tell your kids anything.

Isn't there a saying along the lines of "better the devil we know, than the devil we don't know" or something like that.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

I have to ask what about already existant degrees in Parapsychology and Magic?

How about useless actual degrees in Star Trek, Queer Musicology, and Phallologocentrism?

I don't want any of them teaching my kids either.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker

Do you want your kids being taught by a teacher with a diploma from a creationist school? I certainly don't.

Doesn't say their only applicable in Texas, they can take their diploma anywhere if the idiots doing the hiring don't care.

So, teaching them they are monkys are better ? No thanks.
I never in my entire life believed that monky business story..
We are Not monkys, period !!

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather

So, teaching them they are monkys are better ? No thanks.
I never in my entire life believed that monky business story..
We are Not monkys, period !!

Ya, there are no similarities between monkeys and humans.

There's nothing to the fact that monkeys share 98% dna with humans. Nothing at all.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   

We share 60% of our DNA with fruit flies and 50% with Bananas.

Cue Monty Python theme.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

We share 60% of our DNA with fruit flies and 50% with Bananas.

Cue Monty Python theme.

That just further proves evloution, all life on this planet evolved from the same "soup".

Imo of coarse.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
You guys can be monkeys all you want . Here's a banana for you..

I'm so glad we are on the same page here..
Since monkey and human dont have the same muscle mass and have it on difrent parts of our bodies is kind of a give away.
After all, shouldn't we be climbling trees ?

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

I know this may sound rude, but your statements are of an ignorant person.

You are entitled to believe what you wish personally, but there's a well defined line between believing and knowing.

The purpose of schools is to teach children, to hopefully transfer knowledge to them.

I'm sorry if the knowledge that Humans are members of a species of primates is hard for you to believe, or it makes you uncomfortable or whatever; but it's still the reality.

I will defend the right of people to believe what they want privately to the death, but I will not stand for people passing off their personal unfounded beliefs as if they are equally valid to knowledge acquired from factual evidence and experimentation.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Considering the point at which the American Education system is at now....

This is akin to pouring a drop of gasoline right into the blazing inferno of a volcanic crater.

I really don't see how Creationist-qualified teachers are going to make a significantly negative impact into the United State's already far-gone Education system.

Hell the number of teachers who teach Creationism unofficially without authorisation in public schools across the US is already at an all time high. Especially in the Southern States.

Yes handing out degrees for Creationism is like handing out qualifications for being a "professional slacker", but honestly it's a case of "out of the fireplace and into the frying pan".

No sane, reputable head of an educational institution is going to seriously take "Creationism qualifications" from some two-bit, privately funded Bible-thumping school in Texas.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

You guys can be monkeys all you want . Here's a banana for you..

You picked the wrong site to join my friend if you want to start Bible-thumping and spreading Christian propaganda to everyone unlike you.

That kind of diatribe only discredits yourself, not us.

[edit on 24/3/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I don't think we fully understand the system, we have biological theories but yet here's one of my problems with the current system.

We share more DNA with chimps than we do neandertals. We are genetically more closely related to chimps?!

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

This feud has been going on in the US since Darwin wrote ''Origin of species". There has been numerous lawsuits from both side of the fence. In it's january 2009 issue about Darwin, Scientific American has a very interesting article about this debate. (www.sciamdigital.com...) While I am not american and don't have this problem (yet), I feel that the right for a proper scientific education, without interference from organized religion of any kind should be written in the constitution.

It is sad that on this age of technology and science, people still refuse to accept basic knowledge like the age of the Earth. Last week, the Minister of Industry and Science in Canada refuse to vote on a bill that recognized Darwin's as the only way of explaining evolution.
www.cbc.ca...

We live in a sad world. I hope that my kids will learn proper science in school, or they will hear from me.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by grandnic]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join