It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How secure is your bug out location?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I've noticed more and more people coming to the survival forum. I started thinking about my bug out location's and how easily i will be able to defend them. I was also thinking about shelter in the event of a natural disaster.

Then i started thinking about all the sheeple that will be fleeing the cities when sitX happens.

So i thought i would pose a few questions for people to ask themselves about their selected location's.

In the case of a nuclear attack, is your location far enough away from potential targets to avoid fallout and radiation?

In the event of a total financial collapse, are you far enough away from cities so people won't be struggling for the same resources and food?

In case of a biological attack, are you far enough away from cities to decrease your odds of infection?

Is your area high enough in case of flooding?

Does it have caves or other hard structures to shelter in during tornadoes, hurricanes, and such?

How many passable routes lead to your area, and do you have enough people to cover all routes in case of gangs or marauders?

Do you have back-up location's in case someone has beaten you to your primary location?

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
All great questions...and very deserving of answers. I can answer all of these, and I've already taken precautions on the route. It will take me longer to get there, but I know the longer route is the safest in my case.

All survivalists should ask these questions of themselves and their BOL's. Good thread man

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by midnightbrigade

Thank's. I just wanted to make sure people were considering all scenario's with the selection of their BOL's and not just thinking about whether or not they have food and water. Both are essential, but safety is just as important.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Good thing to bring up.
I have 3 places picked out. Just in case one is already occupied.
This is the main thing I thought about while picking a location.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by realboogyman
Good thing to bring up.
I have 3 places picked out. Just in case one is already occupied.
This is the main thing I thought about while picking a location.

Are your location's safe in all the above scenario's?

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Without reading your OP I can tell you any English Bug Out Location is not safe.

Nirgal's 30 mile flatulence rule (patent pending) has spoken, again.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Scottish/English Borders should be a good area. Winters are nippy but theres tons of old castles and ruined 'barmkin' tower houses that could be garrisoned.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

Are there still a lot of keeps and castles that are still safe? Are they on high enough ground? The ones in the Scottish highlands would be high enough but if the oceans rise like scientist's say they are going to, then you'll run out of room fast. It will be a trajedy if the oceans rise like that. I have always wanted to visit Wales and Scotland. Maybe even England too if i have 5 minutes

And what's a "barmkin tower"?

[edit on 24-3-2009 by Anuubis]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Bugging out is a last resort for me. It depends on the sit-X. The locations I picked out I can say yes to your questions. You got me thinking though. Water. Is there an underground source that you can use? I have discussed options with friends. I know a few like minded folks that also have families, between us we have quite a few options. I have been "invited" to more than one retreat. I chose to include other people in my plans because of family issues. It is hard to watch your own back.

I have a friend that owns a remote cabin that he is stocking up. He was shocked when I asked him what he would do if he got there and found it occupied or looted. The thought had never occured to him. There are other cabins near his so other people do know it is there.

I prefer to not put all the eggs in one basket. Every location has its drawbacks though. I think the sheeple will weed themselves out in a short amount of time, after that it will probably be easier to deal with people. People that survive any initial onslaught will more than likely interested in like minded people and how they made it.

Form a tribe.

Spiritowl

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
In the case of a nuclear attack, is your location far enough away from potential targets to avoid fallout and radiation?

I think your speaking of a terror event here, vs. nuclear war.

If so then I think most ppl will fare pretty well except those
in the target area(s).

On a nuclear war scale most of the US will suffer from fallout due
to the winds blowing it around.

KI4U.com has very good info on how to deal with the nuclear war side
of the picture.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

Alot of ppl say that ocean rise thing has been put on hold for awhile:

www.worldnetdaily.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
LOL on the occuping a castle.

Brilliant for protecting from fallout if you can get a room sealed up, and a good method of exchanging clean air.

Not so brilliant for the bunkering down (siege) situation, unless the door/gate hardware are still in good working order, and you have a few friends who can help defend it.

Good suggestion though! Not sure too many sheeple would think of something like that.

Tim

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

Either terror event or nuclear war. It doesn't matter, we will have fallout and radiation from both. There will just be more radiation from a terrorist's dirty bomb. Most people don't know that is why it's called a dirty bomb. Low yield, highly radioactive.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiritowl
Bugging out is a last resort for me. It depends on the sit-X. The locations I picked out I can say yes to your questions. You got me thinking though. Water. Is there an underground source that you can use? I have discussed options with friends. I know a few like minded folks that also have families, between us we have quite a few options. I have been "invited" to more than one retreat. I chose to include other people in my plans because of family issues. It is hard to watch your own back.

I have a friend that owns a remote cabin that he is stocking up. He was shocked when I asked him what he would do if he got there and found it occupied or looted. The thought had never occured to him. There are other cabins near his so other people do know it is there.

I prefer to not put all the eggs in one basket. Every location has its drawbacks though. I think the sheeple will weed themselves out in a short amount of time, after that it will probably be easier to deal with people. People that survive any initial onslaught will more than likely interested in like minded people and how they made it.

Form a tribe.

Spiritowl

And that is why i started this thread, which didn't go very far. Most couldn't see the benefits of groups.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Anuubis, we live south of you in northern Nevada. Our little town is a ways from the cities but my wife an I have four places scoped out if we need to get out of Dodge. One is withing walking distance, I found it deer hunting. There was a nice deer down in the hole but I didn't want to try to get into it much less pack deer out of it. Almost a mile to any jeep trail. Problem is not much in the way of an exit, just one way out. Second is in some broken junipers in the high hills. About 20 miles away but lots of cover and some water. Third place has good water and defensible positions however is close to jeep trails. The forth place is further north and we would have to 4 wheel in but is good country.

Where we live is pretty good when it comes to prevailing winds and upwind targets. We are just too close to the interstate however and are looking up in your neck of the woods for a place. Being close to the interstate makes bio events a concern.

Good post I have thought a lot about these very things that you brought up.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by waterdoctor

The town i live in is right on I-90, but i'm not to worried about a bio attack. The way the valley is shaped it will be easy to cut off and defend. Three ways in and out. With the mountains around this valley I-90 gets choked off at to very defensive points.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
There is no where I could go.
Unless I have a 10 hour advance warning, Im getting cancer.
I guess I could always get a radioactive protection suit.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis

Yes, and good rock walls otherwise known as mountains between me and any potential target.

In the event of a total financial collapse, are you far enough away from cities so people won't be struggling for the same resources and food?

Yes, and only one road anywhere near my location. Could easily defend that if need be, but getting to my place would take some serious luck. Probably bad.

In case of a biological attack, are you far enough away from cities to decrease your odds of infection?

Yes, and the aforementioned rocks help alot.

Is your area high enough in case of flooding?

Im not sure a tsunami could get to me. Again, big rocks are good.

Does it have caves or other hard structures to shelter in during tornadoes, hurricanes, and such?

Caves yes, the farther out you go. No tornadoes, hurricanes or such. Forest fires are my only concern, but enough natural water to keep me comfortable.

How many passable routes lead to your area, and do you have enough people to cover all routes in case of gangs or marauders?

Passable? by passable, does wandering in the woods without anything that resembles a trail equate to passable? As said, only one road anywhere near me, sit on top, easily defended.

Do you have back-up location's in case someone has beaten you to your primary location?

Cant really see that happening, however, I am setting up some smaller, "fall-back" locations further into the wilderness this summer. Just in case my primary becomes compromised.

Good thread, like to see ones where the OP asks people to think ahead.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by salchanra

My idea of a passable route is an easy route that has less than a 60 degree upward incline. Most people will take the easier route.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR
There is no where I could go.
Unless I have a 10 hour advance warning, Im getting cancer.
I guess I could always get a radioactive protection suit.

If your just getting it then they should be able to cure you. Or is it one of the kind that's untreatable?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join