It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the earth be the center of the universe?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Not to put too fine a spin [pun intended] on things, according to one Eric Idle in the "Meaning of Life";

" The Universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding, in all of the directions it can whiz;

As fast as it can go, and that's the speed of light you know!;

12 million miles a second- and that's the fastest speed there is;

So just remember next time you're feeling very small and insecure, how amazingly unlikely is your birth;

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on earth! "

Copyright (c) Monty Python & Hand Made Films 1983

I think that sums it up rather nicely - don't you think?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienCarnage

Yea, that is simply the "geometrical center" of the picture, if you observe the evenly balanced radiation throughout the Universe it shows that there is no center that contains dramatically more than any other spot. Also realize that is a 2 dimensional representation of 3 dimensional space, also keep in mind that space itself 'exploded', not an explosion in space.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
No, the Earth isn't the center of the Universe..

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
well, this may be more than you bargained for, but here is a "Biblical" explanation that indeed the earth "Is" the center of the universe.

www.fixedearth.com...

www.fixedearth.com...

and alas, here is the thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 7-5-2009 by dirtusbagious]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
We could very well be the center of the universe, but it does not mean the universe revolves around us. We could have been made from point x, the first planets and stars made are point z, and we were made and are at point y.

It is all plausible.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I'm not entirely sure about this but as I understand it the relativety theory concludes that the universe does not have an end, just parts with litle in it, and parts with more in it. This is suposedly explained by the distortion that distance efects upon the universe, as Einstein said, if we could look far enough into the universe, we would only see the back of our own heads, leading him to conclude that we cannot establish a limit upon the universe.
This leads me to conclude earth can not be in the center of something that does not have limits. So the Next step is our galaxy, is earth in the center of our galaxy? no, it is on the eastern fringe of the milkyway, far from the heap of suns and systems that constitute the "hub" or center of our milkyway. The next step would be to check if earth is then in the midle of the nearest by galaxies, depending on which you choose, yes and no at the same time.

My conclusion is that it is relative to the observer and the area in question (I disregard the universe as it is to big a unit, as it has no end, to use for centering the earh), so I'd say it's relative.

Also I'm not sure if interpreted the thread's idear right, but I will see.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

I apologize for my last post, I realize now that I was oversimplifying itby taking your 2D drawing and showing a center which thought may technically the center, wiuldn't necessarily be the exact center.

When I think in 3D terms, my only real reference point would be a 3D art studio program such as 3D studio or such. In these programs there is something called the infinite plane, it is called this because you can, if computer memory allows, infinately creat objects, posibly an entire universe. In this infinite plane there is a zero starting point, a center if you will. Even if you don't evenly expand fromthis point, this is still real center thogh maby not technocally the center, even if it ends out on the outer part of the 3D universe you create. Based on this is why I believe there is a center of our universe as well, it might not be technically at the center, but there must be a point at that is older than everything else, this would be our center.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join