It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsunami Warning Issued For Pacific - After 7.9 Quake in Tonga - Also Live Fiji Webcam - for Tsunami

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   

A tsunami warning was initally posted and a small tsunami was reported to have been generated by the earthquake. A tsunami with height of a few centimeters hit Tongatapu.It posed no threat to New Zealand. A tsunami of about 2 cm in height reached New Zealand five hours after the earthquake occurred. A rise in sea levels lasting several hours was expected

I saw that "rise" in the sea level on the Fiji Webcam. All beach areas on flat around the world, and there is a "beach/sand" area between water and grass or whatever there is, there is also various amounts of beach footage (amount of sand) between the two - water - grass.

The water level had risen considerably from my observation in watching the webcam.

I found the above today, which validated my observation of the Fiji water level rising.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

Where did you the picture of my ex-wife? (avatar) I hope she won't be in the tsunami as she is rather short in stature. Good to all in Mother Natures way.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
For those interested in EQ and volcano predictions - a "quiet" thread - out of the way.... on BTS - www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Yes, it was a long time ago! And even though it was a whopping 1 inch tsunami, I had the funny story to tell for years!

It did make us a bit less worried about the next warning.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
BBC Report:

The tremor, which residents from Fiji to New Zealand reported feeling, was followed two hours later by an after-shock of 5.3 magnitude. A regional tsunami warning was issued, but withdrawn just over an hour and a half later.

Full article

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall

A tsunami warning was initally posted and a small tsunami was reported to have been generated by the earthquake. A tsunami with height of a few centimeters hit Tongatapu.It posed no threat to New Zealand. A tsunami of about 2 cm in height reached New Zealand five hours after the earthquake occurred. A rise in sea levels lasting several hours was expected

I saw that "rise" in the sea level on the Fiji Webcam.

No.
You did not witness a tsunami, you saw the tide come in. As you can see on this tide chart. When you first were looking at the webcam the tide was low. When you noticed the rise, the tide was approaching its peak. Check the webcam now and then again in about 5 or 6 hours.
www.mobilegeographics.com:81...

There were no reports of damage or of sea levels rising in Fiji or Tonga, and the tsunami warning was later cancelled.

www.irishtimes.com...

The .8" (that's less than 7/8") tsunami reached New Zealand 5 hours after the earthquake, that would be at 23:18 GMT. New Zealand is 1,100 miles from the earthquake. Suva is 550 miles from the earthquake so the "tsunami" would have arrived there in about 2.5 hours or at 20:18 GMT. Your "tsunami" showed up at 00:53GMT, two hours late.

Can you provide a source for that external quote?
Tsunami do not usually cause a sustained rise in sea level so the statement that this one did is quite surprising.

[edit on 3/20/2009 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
now im not sure if this is out of the ordinary or not but ive just checked out the fiji cam and the water is looking incredibly calm for an ocean.

like i said im not sure if this is out of the ordinary so if someone could explain this it would be much appreciated, ive just never seen an ocean body so calm before

thanks again guys peace xxx

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Free4Ever2

Suva is a bay. Very well protected by coral reefs. The webcam is well inside the bay. Unless there are large swells you won't see much going on. There also doesn't seem to be any wind right now.

[edit on 3/20/2009 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

thanks my friend, i just wasnt sure i all, thanks for clearing that up for me

peace xx

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I never said I saw a tsunami, I said the water rose. Look I am going to stop replying to you, because for some very odd, reason, you want to be combative with me.

That is okay, that is your decision, but my decision is to stop, trying to justify myself, when you keep putting down words - I never said.

So, since you keep wanting to imply things that are completely false, then I am not going to bother responding anymore. Especially, since every single time you have ever posted in one of my threads, you imply things I did not say, besides being combative and put me down in many of your posts.

So, have fun, but I will not play your games anymore - for whatever weird reason in your head, you are trying to play them.

Have a Great day,

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

You quoted an unnamed external source saying a tiny tsunami reached New Zealand. You underlined part of the quote saying a rise lasting several hours was expected. You then said you saw that rise. You then say the unnamed external source validated your observation.

Ok, I'm wrong. You weren't linking the rise in water level to the earthquake and the tiny tsunami it generated. You knew all along it was a normal tide change.

I'm not playing any games. I'm trying to cut down on the alarmist nonsense by presenting facts rather than wild speculation and inaccuracies.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
www.fijiwebcam.com...

A few days later you see the same sea patterns and it can fool you into thinking a tsunami is coming in which of course is not.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
questioningall is a very good username you chose ... lately all your threads are dire warnings ... and I've missed a week, but I'm still alive for whatever I missed ...

We often get Tsunami warnings here in the pacific ... they're activated as a precautionary measure, then they're lifted, nothing happens. There may be a slight ripple in the water, certainly not a Tidal Wave.

The point is we just don't hear about them, unless you go looking for these alerts in any of the warning centers around the Pacific Rim.

<< 2  3  4   >>

join