It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
We are all familiar with that chestnut. I'm talking about posts that do nothing but slam the OP. We've all seen those posts. Just commentary on the OP, nothing constructive to add to the topic. Here's a few that I've seen lately:

"This is a waste of bandwidth." Guess what, you just wasted more.
"This topic is pointless." So was that contribution.
"What a waste of time." Thanks, you just wasted more of everyone elses.

THAT is the purpose of the Complaints/Suggestions button. There can be many reasons why the thread is active. 1- The staff is unaware of it, thus the Complaints button. 2- The staff has seen it but it's under discussion. 3- The staff has seen it and it was determined that the topic is OK. Just because you don't think so doesn't mean that the topic isn't valid. We are guided by the T&C and that will determine the outcome.

Post of that manner will more often than not be labeled "Off topic" and rightly so. If you think a certain topic is not ATS worthy, send an alert. After that check out topics that you are interested in. There's no need to drop off topic posts in a thread.

Thanks for considering this.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Yeah I feel the same way. I don't understand how it is some random members concern if a post is 'wasting bandwith'?!? I've seen people post that so many times.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
You truly are a Super Moderator!

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Thank you, you are truly part of the best staff on the planet.
Anytime theres been a problem, youve all been there.
And ive been on both sides, so im not biased.
You are all doing a great job, thats why i enjoy this sight besides the tremendous amounts of knowledge ive gained.
I feel safe and comfortable cruising around, having conversations, cuz you try not to let anything thats "not a dicussion of topic" happen.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Have to agree. However, if there is nit picking about bandwidth waste, I think the site can do without the repetitive threads about the same subject that has been filling the recent posts request. Makes no sense to have 5 threads on the same subject spreading across three or more different forum catagories, or even in the same forum catagory!!

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   

If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

There is something to be said for creativity, and subtlety

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Makes no sense to have 5 threads on the same subject spreading across three or more different forum catagories, or even in the same forum catagory!

Like intrepid said, hit that alert button!

Generally if there are that many threads on the exact same subject, they are only still active because nobody has noticed yet, so do us a favor and let us know!

It's also possible if they are in different forums that they are left open because they focus on different aspects of the same topic.

Either way, if you have a concern about a certain thread or topic, just drop any of us a quick U2U or hit the alert button.

We're here to help!

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
As ive seen, one topic may have different discussions, but started with different points of view.
One case is "no plane hit the pentagon", then "no plane hit the pentagon, but this is what hit" etc., etc.,
It sometimes may not be right to "umbrella" them, and ive seen them stay seperate, i guess, for that point.
Maybe if a topic is posted that has a similar topic, notify the 2 op's and have them linked together somehow?
I dunno.
More copper throwing, just tryin to help.
Edit to add; i forgot its copper plated aluminum throwing....

[edit on 19-3-2009 by guinnessford]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
This thread is a waste of pointless bandwidth time.

At least make the "nothing" posts entertaining in some way. It's possible, "This thread is pointless.......and here's why", might be more acceptable. Presuming one is able to demonstrate some sound "pointlessness" to the original premise.

Is "sound pointlessness" an oxy-moron?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I agree with this position, if all your post does is bash the OP, rather than add content about the issue, it should probably be skipped.

By the same principle, another thing I would personally like to see less of is the pole opposite of bashing, cheer leading. If all your post does is cheer on the OP, or another individual in the thread, but adds no content regarding the issue, it also should probably be skipped. With the exception perhaps of the touchy feely forums on BTS designed for that purpose.

It would be nice to see posts that focused more on the issue itself rather than a popularity contest. Either cheering for or bashing other people. I think that would go a long way to improving the content here at ATS, and it would also go a long way towards keeping threads from going off topic and from becoming so unwieldy.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Oh no, not more of this, if you don't like it don't read it nonsense! Sometimes it's right that the OP, who has posted a thread purely to annoy or insult a certain section of the ATS faithful, should be brought down to earth with a bang. Okay, I agree, we shouldn't start to throw derogatory remarks about or anything which could be viewed as racist, but for the love of all that is holy we should all have the option to air our views on whatever thread we want, especially those we think are incorrect or inflammatory. If we don't you're just going to get threads full of post after post agreeing with the OP and none putting up alternative views. Some of those alternative views may be concerns with the OP? If so why can't we voice those concerns?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Mintwithahole.

You may have misunderstood. There's not only nothing wrong with expressing a contrary opinion, we wouldn't be having much in the way of discussion if there wasn't a counterpoint.

What we want to avoid is the one-line (or longer) bash fests that add nothing to the discussion. The fact is, the more you add to a thread you find worthless, the more you bump it for attention. Some very good topics are debate worthy, and some are preposterous. Not all will agree which are which. So find a thread in which you can contribute something meaningful (in agreement or counterpoint) and participate in those. Let the ones you see as having no value die of loneliness.

At the very least, maybe use it as an opportunity to practice your Socratic questioning chops by asking the thread author some questions. There is an off-chance you may be able to make someone see the error of their opinion that way. Saying, "this is stoopid" or something along those lines serves no purpose whatsoever.

Make sense?

[edit on 3/20/2009 by yeahright]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
When I make a post, I feel as if I am taking part in Epic Poetry.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
It would be nice to see more people following this advice. I just read a thread that had comments like this:

"yes actually, like i said if you believe that everyone who is not of your religion or race must be slaughtered or driven from your "holy land" please do us all a favor and kill yourself."
and this:

"if you answered yes to any of these questions then please, by all means, kill yourself."
made by the same person 5 or 6 times throughout the thread. I just don't see any possible way that "if you don't agree with my opinion then you should kill yourself" is a valid contribution in arguing your position. My own opinion is that this type of comment contributes nothing and, frankly, reflects a disgustingly bad light on ATS as a whole community. I would have much rather seen logical and fact based refutations to the posts being disagreed with instead of just personal attacks, name calling, and "go kill yourself" comments.

My husband was sitting next to me reading over my shoulder and I was embarrassed to be a fellow member with the poster who was making those comments. I had nothing to do with them, yet I would be tarred with the same brush by an outsider seeing those comments and thinking that everyone here holds the same type mindset that would find that sentiment acceptable.

Please, for the love of all things good and chocolatey, stop and think BEFORE making comments of this nature that reflect on the whole of the community. Your fellow members will appreciate the consideration.

Edited to add: I was even more disturbed to see that the "go kill yourself" posts got stars! Really? Who justifies that as acceptable debate?

Take care,
Cindi

[edit on 3/21/2009 by Glencairn]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

At the very least, maybe use it as an opportunity to practice your Socratic questioning chops by asking the thread author some questions. There is an off-chance you may be able to make someone see the error of their opinion that way. Saying, "this is stoopid" or something along those lines serves no purpose whatsoever.

Make sense?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with your point about one liners and those who have nothing better to say than, "you're stupid", etc, but I still occasionally like to call a OP out and tell him what I think of their posts,etc, specially when it includes ridiculous,racist or derogatory, or sometimes political remarks. We all occasionally like to let off steam don't we? The more people who tell the OP about the error of their ways the less likely they are to repeat posting these type of threads.
However, I do agree with most of what you say. In future when I see a distasteful or disagreeable thread I will count slowly 1 through to 10 and try to take a chill pill.
Regards.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Personally I think that the alert button is a wonderful tool... I use mine often, and instead of replying to someone by saying "That was mean and uncalled for and you are an insensitive jerk," I alert it to the staff.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Nothing brings ATS forward more than Class in Posting. The ability to pass over the chance to waste another readers time and patience and to fight for the denial of ignorance.

Good thread 'trep!
S&F
Cuhail

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
What? Even in this case?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But seriously, its good to see the mods are continuing to do a fantastic job around here...keep it up

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Thanks for the reminder...

I find that I have toned down my own responses to what I deem asinine posts, but I still take a step back at times...

As has been pointed out to me on several occasions - it's not my job to police the site...

I still falter at times, but am getting better....kinda...sorta.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
** I'm shamelessly bumping this thread. **

It's been a week and it needs to be said again.
Stay on topic. Posters aren't the topic.

Originally posted by nyk537
Like intrepid said, hit that alert button!

I'm starting to feel like the ATS police dept ... and I'm sure you guys roll your eyes when you see my 'alerts' come across to modland.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join