It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Star Wars' scientists create laser gun to kill mosquitoes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   

'Star Wars' scientists create laser gun to kill mosquitoes

edition.cnn.com

The laser, which has been dubbed a "weapon of mosquito destruction" fires at mosquitoes once it detects the audio frequency created by the beating of its wings.

The laser beam then destroys the mosquito, burning it on the spot.

Developed by some of the astrophysicists involved in what was known as the "Star Wars" anti-missile programs during the Cold War, the project is meant to prevent the spread of malaria.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
online.wsj.com

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I am not sure whether to laugh or be amazed. Talk about taking mosquito repellant to the next century. I'm not sure if this an entirely efficient way of killing mosquitoes though; surely they can come up with something in between poison and laser beams?

The mosquito laser is the brainchild of Lowell Wood, an astrophysicist who worked with Edward Teller, father of the hydrogen bomb and architect of the original plan to use lasers to shield America from the rain of Soviet nuclear arms.

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
That is absolutely ridiculous.....Yet awesome!
I have to say though, it seems to me like a colossal waste of time.
If this is ever made available to consumers, I wonder what he cost would be?
I"ll stick to Cutter for now

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Can't wait to buy one.

I would sit on the porch on a warm summer night and enjoy a cold beer with my light show.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
The interesting part is Bill Gates gave some funding for this project amongst others. I bet he wanted to install it on sharks.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Shere Khaan

That would have been cool.

Sharks with freakin laser beams.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
As an Aussie, I have to ask, can this technology be scaled up slightly? Perhaps to fly level?
(It wasn't one line when I wrote it, honest!)

[edit on 17-3-2009 by OZtracized]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
What happens when I'm standing behind a mosquito?
a laser to the eye couldn't be too much fun.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Sounds pretty awesome to me. I'm the guy that gets bit to hell by mosquitoes more than anyone else in the same area - usually 20 to 1. I would definately buy one when it becomes affordable and of course portable enough.

I have one of those electronic fly swatters - you know the ones that you can get for $5-10 dollars. I was very skeptical of them until I learned how to use them. Unlike a normal fly swatter that requires you to lead and then squish a fly between the swatter and a surface or hit it hard enough so you get a second shot - but you usually have to get them a few times before they die. With the electronic swatter you only need it to touch the fly once in it's path and it will drop. So all you need to do is get close squeeze the trigger and they will usually fly into it. No more squished flys and no more chasing them for 5 minutes. No more cleaning up fly blood, but they do make them stink a bit from the electrocution smells similar to burned hair.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by thestink
What happens when I'm standing behind a mosquito?
a laser to the eye couldn't be too much fun.

Yup.

That is why you won't see these things at Wal-Mart anytime soon.

Too much liability.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
What happens if the mossy is about to land on your arm when it gets cooked.

Would your arm also get burned.

Maybe it is about to land on your ear. that could hurt.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I think that it is a conspiracy to develop stealth mosquitoes with reflecting exoskeleton via evolutionary means. And then genetically making them larger and taking over the world!!!!
Seriously though - mosquitoes,with all they problems (like malaria),are integral part of food chain. This thing has the potential to wipe those blood-sucking menace. The question is if it is needed globally if no threat of malaria is present in the area? Sorry, 20-1 bitten dude. I just prefer a known threat over something unknown that will surely take ecological place of mosquitoes.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
PTB developed a mosquito with a camera. Maybe it's some clever spionage protection

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Laser deflects and catches trees and house on fire. Maybe they can have grenade launchers to kill mice next week.

Depopulation thru sheeple buying gizmos...news at 5.

new topics

top topics

join