It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU bans use of 'Miss' and 'Mrs'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Dear EU representatives,

I'd like to cancel my subscription...

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CrashGecko

this is not a thread about the mrs or ms issue only. this is only an example of something much more important - which are the absurds of "political correctness", a signs of a New to come. it goes much beyond the verbal problems. you can find more and more of those idiotical laws in your daily life.

it is about the wrongly understand "tolrerance" which as a some kind of new political/social (already in fact economical) system is destroying a "democracy" and your freedoms!!

this is about it! worth thread? I think so.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
This sounds crazy. And what has it done? Drawn our attention to it. It is a diversion folks. well that is what it seems to me. To get somebody talking about something so ridiculous that it averts their attention long enough for something else to happen.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Power_Semi
***snip***
They were talking about calling a manhole cover a personhole cover, etc, but also changing place names, so manchester for example would be considered sexist since it contains the word man.
***snip***

Why be surprised?
EU also banned curved cucumbers. Story was that it would make it easier to ship them in larger bulk.
Another story was that the main French and German type of cucomber was more staright than those from countries outside EU.
AFAIK we are now permitted curved cucumbers again.

Blackboard changed name to writing board.
"Bah Bah Black Sheep" changed to "Bah Bah Rainbow Sheep".
Blackbird is now Off-white bird.

When does it end? When I'm made president of the United States of Europe. Heads will roll.

EDIT

OH I forgot - what I find extremely offensive is the wedding ceremoni where the minister, priest or pastor presents the newly wed as "Mr. and Mrs. George Formby".
Maybe this EU directive is a step towards changing that as well.

[edit on 17.3.2009 by HolgerTheDane]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by czacza1

Dear God !

What will happen to the MR MEN books ??

Are we to become nothing but androgynous naked apes,?

This of course has been tried before, in on of the Start Trek movies a female Vulcan type babe Mr Savik ( think that was her name), dear lord I thought at the time that won't catch on. Breasted creature being called MR? lo and behold it didn't catch on and all the planets pretended it didn't happen.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by czacza1
hello, first of all I want to thank you for all the replies.

I noticed that few posters belive the subject not to be important or even BS. I can not agree with that.

and I am not going even to underline the insanity of the our european reps who do involve themself in such a rubbish subjects instead of taking care of the issues important for a normal people.

but I want to declare that this is not a coincidence. we have others strange recomendation coming from parliament of EU - already in some countries the teachers in schools can not use the verbs like "mom" or "dad" but the parent instead, or in Dutch they are going to have the third toilet in schools for the kids with mixed sexual orientation, and so and so and so...

this is some huge change which is ongoing for few years already. and that change is well planned by some forces. and it is evil. the idea is to put evertything upside down and they are already close to it in Europe.

example? the verb "patriot". in Europe you call "patriot" the person when you do not want to call him/her a "xenophobic". we are multicultural, multilangage and multinational societies here. you can not be a patriot any more.

and it is going deeper and deeper. someone will say - we are evolving, building a new international society. but I will ask - is this unification not reminding you something? maybe Orwell 1984?

now, it is missing only the control - and as far as I heard, there are plans top build the supersystem in 2011. it will cover all the info available on you, including - medical issues, crime record, employment record, religion, tax record, bank record, info about your phone numbers, emails. SCARY STUFF. whoever will have a access to that datebase will find out every information about you he needs to blackmail you for example.

we are definetly heading in some more unknown new form of enslavement.

Very well said, and very insightful.
Therefor, it is important that people object and stand strong during these times, and REFUSE to paricipate in and accept the new enslavement, as you labeled it.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman
reply to post by czacza1

Dear God !

What will happen to the MR MEN books ??

Are we to become nothing but androgynous naked apes,?

This of course has been tried before, in on of the Start Trek movies a female Vulcan type babe Mr Savik ( think that was her name), dear lord I thought at the time that won't catch on. Breasted creature being called MR? lo and behold it didn't catch on and all the planets pretended it didn't happen.

Ofcourse, the laws and rules regarding actual, Transgendered people of various types, is a COMPLETELY other story, and in those cases, those people should have ALL the rights as any other person in the Society.

However, regarding the same applying and rules for "ordinary" people, is just completely ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'm confused. What am I supposed to call them.. Hoes?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Have they stopped to think that some people might want to be called Mr or Mrs maybe taking that from them would be offensive to them. Maybe it should be up to the individual to decide if they like it or not.

Here are two more crazy EU laws for you to chuckle over!

THE EU has declared a crackpot war on busty barmaids — by trying to ban them from wearing low-cut tops. Po-faced penpushers have deemed it a HEALTH HAZARD for bar girls to show too much cleavage. And in a daft directive that will have drinkers choking on their pints, Brussels bureaucrats have ordered a cover-up. They say barmaids run a skin cancer risk if they expose themselves to the sun when they go outside to collect glasses. Last night the move was blasted as an affront. Annie Powell, of real ale group Camra, raged: “It’s just another blatant example of Europe gone mad.”

The comment the move was blasted as an affront made me chuckle - get the pun!

Sainsbury’s has dropped its plans to sell mis-shapen fruit in a Hallowe’en promotion, with names such as Zombie Brain cauliflower and Witch’s Fingers carrots. Under EU law, selling fruit and veg that doesn’t meet requirements is illegal, Sainsbury’s say they planned to risk it as a company, but stopped when they discovered individual employees could be prosecuted.

Yes that's right in the EU our fruit and veg does not come in all shapes and sizes..

I'm pretty positive back when they were spinning how good the EU would be that they did not mention this is what they would be getting up to!

We could probably devote a whole forum to crazy EU laws - would be hysterical!

Star and flag nice post!

[edit on 3/17/2009 by nosmokinggun]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
The thing of it is, this doesn't have to become a law in order for it to come into common use. All of political correctness comes from those that considered themselves elitist in some form or fashion and looked down upon the uncouth until they changed to match.

Look at the Saxon words for urinate and defecate. George Carlin used them well in a famous bit titled Seven Words...

Or look at the Spanish language as a whole. There was once a king that had a slight lisp and all of Spanish is pronounced today with a slight lisp because no one wanted to offend the king while in court.

That said, I hope my time is up before such nonsense becomes universal as preferred form of address. And to the poster that found that they do not care for ones that insist on being called Ms. with that spiteful Mizzzz pronunciation, I too sympathize with the associated attitude that comes with them.

My 7th grade Literature teacher had that problem until I started addressing her as Mistress Ackerman with the accompanying tone of a lecher on mistress. Yes I had detention for the disrespect shown. And during which I opened the dictionary and showed her the definition of Ms. and asked her to select another form of address if she liked. I was permitted to call her Karen afterwards or Miss at my discretion. Sometimes the best way to defeat militant feminism is to point out the error of their ways. Especially when it turned out that she was indeed a mistress to one of the married male teachers at the time...

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
There are no other sources confirming this, until some come out, I don't buy it.

If it is true, wow, just wow.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
This is one of the dumbest ideas so far....PC going waaayy over the top.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
How insanely stupid.

Here is a hint for folks: Females ARE females, males ARE males, they really are different! There is nothing wrong by identifying gender. How ludicrous.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Marius Blackwood

it was reapeted on the news several times already. I think it is a serious issue.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Has anybody, here, remotely considered the possibility that some women might like to have the title Miss or Mrs? They can choose Ms if they want to instead.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
In my opinion saying to unfamiliar women by her name not Miss or Mrs. is arrogant. That hat whole EU create many dumb regulations and that one is not even the dumbest. Few year ago they create the regulation about how long and how skewed bananas should be. However every such regulations have second bottom. The funny thing is that we here in EU are paying taxes for that dumb officials.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Freekin insanity.. its the declassification of the human race.. soon we will all be its.. recognised by a desinated number. Political correctness is bull#.. and its origins are of the devil.. such a pretense for good but its madness.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Marius Blackwood

that is even on China news. with some extended info about. worth read.

link:

www.chinadaily.com.cn...

"Officials have also ordered that 'sportsmen' be called 'athletes', 'statesmen' be referred to as 'political leaders' and even that 'synthetic' or 'artificial' be used instead of 'man-made'.

The guidance lists banned terms for describing professions, including fireman, air hostess, headmaster, policeman, salesman, manageress, cinema usherette and male nurse.

However MEPs are still allowed to refer to 'midwives' as there is no accepted male version of the job description.

The booklet also admits that "no gender-neutral term has been successfully proposed" to replace 'waiter' and 'waitress', allowing parliamentarians to use these words in a restaurant or café."

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I would love to know if there are any Women on here who are offended any in way by being called Mrs or Miss?

I don't know about anyone else, but when i read thing like this i don't take it seriously!

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Seems like there was a bit of an outrage in the EU that this booklet was even published.

EU bans use of 'Miss' and 'Mrs' (and sportsmen and statesmen) because it claims they are sexist

They have reacted with incredulity to the booklet, which has been sent out by the Secretary General of the European Parliament.

Scottish Tory MEP Struan Stevenson described the guidelines as 'political correctness gone mad'.

He said: 'This is frankly ludicrous. We've seen the EU institutions try to ban the bagpipes and dictate the shape of bananas, but now they seem determined to tell us which words we are entitled to use in our own language.

'Gender-neutrality is really the last straw. The Thought Police are now on the rampage in the European Parliament.

'We will soon be told that the use of the words "man" or "woman" has been banned in case it causes offence to those who consider 'gender neutrality' an essential part of life.'

West Midlands Conservative MEP Philip Bradbourn is calling on the Secretary General to reveal who authorised the publication of the booklet and how much it has cost.

He described it as 'a waste of taxpayers' money' and 'an erosion of the English language as we know it'.

'I will have no part of it. I will continue to use my own language and expressions, which I have used all my life, and will not be instructed by this institution or anyone else in these matters,' he said.

'I shall also expect the many translators who sit in the European parliament to translate accurately the language I use. I find this publication offensive in the extreme

Don't really think this idea will get very far.

[edit on 3/18/2009 by Keyhole]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join