It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU bans use of 'Miss' and 'Mrs'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by czacza1

Tell the French they cannot use gender identifying words, I dare ya.

This is the dumbest story I have read all year. Honestly, the politicians need to be smacked upside the head with a stick a few times and have mr or miss, or mrs written all over their dumb faces with permanent black ink just for spite.

The ignorant fools.

What the hell where your Euro's thinking creating the EU..

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by czacza1
reply to post by Merriman Weir

thanks. my mistake. I was writing pretty fast and obviously english is not my first language. but I try better next time. promise

Heh! As I said previously, your English is pretty much excellent. As with most people who post using English as a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th language, your English is better than a lot of people who only speak English anyway.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Political Correctness is not a good thing when it is used ignorantly.

If I am not mistaken using Ms. and Ms. Is already is Banned

Why not have

Mr. and Mrs. mean married individuals

and

Master and Ms. mean unmarried individuals

Then it is all equal. Everyone must reveal marital status.

Eliminating honorifics is not a good idea. As I stated earlier the EU is only removing female honorifics. That seems sexist after all if Baroness, Duchess, Princess, Empress and Queen were removed but Baron, Duke, Prince, Emperor and King still existed their would be justified outrage that women were being treated unfairly.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by Studious]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Political Correctness gone rancid.

What's next, male and female, guy and gal, boy and girl, man and woman, husband and wife?

The people who put this ban in place should be promptly removed from office and pelted with rotten tomatoes. If Miss & Mrs can be banned, I'd imagine nothing is safe.

1984 anyone?

IRM

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Newspeak

(google it if you dont know)

that is all

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Next_Heap_With
Newspeak

(google it if you dont know)

that is all

Exactly right, creepy now that I think of it that way. Slowly eliminating words so that only the words "Ingsoc" wants you to know exist. The idea was to eliminate words so that thought outside of what the party wanted you to think was impossible, as no words could describe anything against the parties views.

(Ingsoc is the party in George Orwell's Classic Book for those who do not know. It is not some new NWO organization.)

[edit on 17-3-2009 by Studious]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Next_Heap_With

That was my first thought as soon as I saw this. It's been happening for a while if you think about it, although it's not intentional. Text messaging is taking a toll on peoples grammer.
i no ppl that rite like this on real paperz not just n txts.

Give it 20 years and we'll see.
But, on topic, this is just sad. One of the last things we have to make our species and our culture beautiful is what's left of chivalry and kindness and gallantry. Looks like we're supposed to lose that too.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
While this is a really weird law that's been introduced its not surprising really. Personnel information is something we all like to keep to ourselves unless we want people to know.

If people want you to know their marital status, sexual preferences, how many kids you have, if your still living with your first, or etc spouse or divorced then they honesty should ask you permission for the details.

If you call a married lady Miss, then that's implying their available for a relationship, or that your being rude and implying they cannot be married because of their looks or etc.

Sure its harsh but the days of insulting people without reason, or just plain being rude are over and maybe its for the good, or just a plain bother but people these days have their reasons. (I suspect that someone with power was insulted by being called either Miss or Mrs and went that step ahead and got something done about it
)

EDIT: And this is exactly why on most forms you can tick a box stating if your a MR/MRS/MISS and etc. Because being called the wrong thing can result in the person being hugely offended.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by Aoxoa]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aoxoa

While this is a really weird law that's been introduced its not surprising really.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

There is no such law. Show me this law if it exist. All I see is a booklet, obviously written by a madman, which is instructing the EU leaders to avoid using those words. And that's it. No law.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Well I'm not changing the wording of my wedding invitations.
So there!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR

The LAST thing I want to know about a woman when I meet her is if she is married or not.

That is normally the first thing on my mind. Makes it easier to chat them up.

"So is that Miss or ... Mrs Jones?"

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
How retarded?

Does this mean that all other titles regarding stature and ability shall be removed also?

So in other words there is no formality left? Everything is to be written casually?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I'd heard a while ago that they were going to bring in some mad gender equelity bollocks laws like this.

They were talking about calling a manhole cover a personhole cover, etc, but also changing place names, so manchester for example would be considered sexist since it contains the word man.

It's pure lunacy - if the human race has "evolved" to a state where this is what we consume our time with then the evolutionary chain has misfired & we should all be extinct by now.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I am no longer shocked at anything coming out of Europe, just mildly amused.

If the Russians had any sense, they would stop trying to provoke the US and just invade western europe, that whole diseased area is ripe for conquest.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
So we’re all going to be *Citizen ______(insert your name).*

If this didn’t come from a trashy source it would scare the hell outta me.

Actually, it still scares me, more pity on that...

peace

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
How 1984 Doublethink and Doublespeak. This is doubleplusungood!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR
WOW! is all I have to say.

WTH is going on!

[edit on 16-3-2009 by R3KR]

I'm just guessing the nwo's one world programme.

You knwo the 'one world government,one world currency, some call it globalization, that is why they break up companies to get them in control of the workers of H.Kissinger's BilderBerger (Trilateral) leaders on an 'global' scale,hence the name To globalization.

It is just in the start fase, just wait, more dumb stunts like this will come to your doorstep, and people of the world just pulls down the shaders..

My own speculations ofcourse......

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
more evidence that the eu are insane !!! ffs !!!
ok next on the agenda will be
white bread & brown bread this bread is racsist
night time will no longer be allowed to be called darkness its racsist
daylight will no longer be allowed to be called light because its racsist
from now on, we can only be called human & we can only be allowed to exist in twilight
& we can only be allowed to eat none bent or wierd shaped vegetables because its not normal.
blond hair will be banned, the afro will be banned & we will only be allowed to listen to the same music, dance in the same way, eat the same food wear the same cloths, worship the same religion, work for the same wages,
these morons with far to much time on thair hands need throwing in prison.
the fab eu on its way to a town near you.
you must assimilate

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
i hate to say this but that is sort of stupid. I must not fully understand but how is this important at all in the grand sceme of things. and what are we suppose to call them. I for one always use sir and ma'am. It is easier and rarely gets messed up. I dont think this actually needs to be a thread on any forum topic.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by george_gaz

It is called proper respect for the individual.

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join