It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best for your money water purifier?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I've been looking through some water filters around the net, and among the post scattered around this forum too. (How i wish there were a sticky listing survival products and where to get them!)

If our utilities went down, and i had to provide water for me and my two kids, i would imagine....and please correct me if i'm wrong here.....i'd be wanting one of the larger capacity treatment units. By that i mean not just a survival water straw, but rather the pump types that can supply thousands of litres of water.

I know they are not cheap, but then again no-one can do without water so it's a no brainer really.

Has anyone any recomendations? Are there any that you have used and they have been rubbish?

Thanks in advance.

CX.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
doultonusa.com...

From what I've read (and been told first-hand by an owner of their products) the stuff is absolutely top notch (and cleanable to boot). I've got plans to pick up a few pieces of theirs for addition to my current kit. As for volume I suggest looking at something that will provide enough to survive on more so than something that could clean enough water for a small football team. I say this because the larger the volume filtered the higher the cost and the larger the item physically becomes for the most part. Boiling water or using bleach to purify it also works, so don't get too hung up on a filter which will eventually fail or become dirty beyond cleaning.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
I've been looking through some water filters around the net, and among the post scattered around this forum too. (How i wish there were a sticky listing survival products and where to get them!)

If our utilities went down, and i had to provide water for me and my two kids, i would imagine....and please correct me if i'm wrong here.....i'd be wanting one of the larger capacity treatment units. By that i mean not just a survival water straw, but rather the pump types that can supply thousands of litres of water.

I know they are not cheap, but then again no-one can do without water so it's a no brainer really.

Has anyone any recomendations? Are there any that you have used and they have been rubbish?

Thanks in advance.

CX.

A Katadyn for your rucksack and the unbeatable British Berkfeld for your home or retreat

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I've drank some filthy water from various parts of the world, and had to swish two inches of green scum off the top at times to get to the stagnant water.

There are many means to purify water, chemically and with heat. The problem with most filters is that they eventually leave you hanging with your butt in the breeze.

Long-term emergency water storage can be accomplished by a "washable" filter of cloth to strain some of the muddy sediment.

Once "filtered," water can be stored in large bronze basins without worrying about it becoming tainted.

Another trick is to use silver. A silver cup in ancient times wasn't for decorative purposes - rather - silver is antimicrobial. Let the water sit in a silver lined cup for several minutes, stirring to expose the water to the metal, and you have microbially purified water in no time.

In the American West, it was not uncommon for traveling men to throw a few silver coins into their canteens. They'd fill the canteens, and as the water came into contact, the water microbes were killed.

Simple often is best. Simple doesn't run out, get complicated, misunderstood, or given to forgetfulness.

And in a pinch, in the event of a bad infection, small bits of finely-ground or filed silver on the wound will prevent and clear up infection.

Silver in hard times is not just for money. It will save your life, and do so in very small quantities.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Thing to prepare for as well is lack of electricity. So if your going for a electric pump type unit, which I didn't look to far into the doultan site, try to keep electricity in mind. Another "cheap" thought....how was water purified before water purifiers came about? Boiling. While it won't remove all contaminents, it will give you a cheap alternative to buying something that is produced by the coorporations we are preparing against. food for thought.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
There's nothing wrong with drinking muddy water. Just as long as the microbes inside the muddy water are killed.

That's a good reason to think about water supplies that you can count on without power, replacement filters, or membranes.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Berkey filters are pretty good, you can even add fluoride filters. I use mine all the time in the kitchen to remove all those chems and drugs from tap water, they aren't just for emergencies. You don't really need to buy their buckets either, you can just buy the filters and make your own buckets (you only need two stacking containers, and just drill your own two holes in the top one to accommodate two filters, more if you want). The charcoal filters can be cleaned with a scotch bright pad to keep them flowing well. Approx. 6000-8000 gallons of tap water per set of two filters, at $99 per set. Figure less life with nastier water and more frequent filter cleaning. Gravity operated.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Katadyn is hands down the best water filter ever made.
Just a pocket filter will last you 13K gallons of water. That is a gallon a day for the next 35 years, on one filter if its properly maintained. Two filters will last you pretty much your entire lifetime. They are rugged, and will stand years of abuse, but they are pricey. You certainly don't want to skimp on a water filter and end up with a piece of junk that breaks after 5 uses. They are used by professional military, aid, and rescue workers around the world. Make sure you get the one with the ceramic, silver infused, filter though.

[edit on 3/17/2009 by defcon5]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
search for "solar distillers". Nothing is better than the distilled water.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
What about the water straw? cheap but is it effective?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by amazing
What about the water straw? cheap but is it effective?

OK for individuals out in the boonies but not big enoug for a family stuck at home.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

Thanks for the reply. My thought was that it fits right over your kitchen tap and is good for 50k? not good for the whole family?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by amazing
reply to post by Northern Raider

Thanks for the reply. My thought was that it fits right over your kitchen tap and is good for 50k? not good for the whole family?

No Sir the survival straw is a short life piece of emergency survival kit designed for back packers and the military, You need something for SITX or Post apoc that is simply gravity fed, easy to clean, affordable and can provide enough fresh drinking water for your family for many long months, currently I only know of the berky that will do that. FYI those Brita filters everyone uses these days only improve the taste of water, they dont filter it.

CX

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Thanks for the info

Those Katadyn units look great, pricey like you say so a decent one would be a while in coming, but worth it.

CX.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by greshnik

Not true. Distilled water can make you unhealthy, it can leech minerals from your body. Same with rain water. You do not want to drink either for any extended amount of time.

BTW, those Katadyn filters are fine for a BOB, but you wouldn't want to use it everyday (having to pump those things can get old real fast). And, they don't filter fluoride (something you might want to do with your household tap water). My Berkey filter is for emergency survival use as well as everyday use in the kitchen.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helig
Boiling water or using bleach to purify it also works, so don't get too hung up on a filter which will eventually fail or become dirty beyond cleaning.

Yes but you have to be very careful when using bleach. You do not want to end up poisoning yourself. If you want emergency water cleaners try getting some chlorine pills may taste like # but works well. Although once again you have to be careful not to use too much.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus

Originally posted by greshnik

Not true. Distilled water can make you unhealthy, it can leech minerals from your body. Same with rain water. You do not want to drink either for any extended amount of time.

...and that is just another stupid myth...distilled water is safe. If you take normal amounts of minerals from other sources (food) you don't need them in your water. Once again, and I will not repeat, search for solar distillers. That is the simplest, most natural way to get clean water.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
In a pinch you can filter water first threw Thick Wool sock...

that removes the big stuff...

Not let it stand in a large bucket for a few hours...
the stuff you cant see should settle to the bottom...
Carefully skim off the top so as not to stir the bottom.. boil that and your golden

Source: Me Crazy old dude

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Hey Dooper thats a great bit of know how there.
I knew silver was antimicrobial but never thought about using it to clean up water.

The few silver coins I have are even more useful now.

Many thanks.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
If you need to use bleach rather than a filter this may help
NR
How to use Clorox Bleach for:
Emergency Water Purification

Caveat emptor as per usual

Boiling Is Best
Short of using a very high-quality water filter, this is the most reliable method for killing microbes and parasites. Bring water to a rolling boil and keep it simmering for at least several minutes. Add one minute of boiling to the initial 10 minutes for every 1,000 feet above sea level. Cover the pot to shorten boiling time and conserve fuel.
Liquid Clorox Bleach
In an emergency, think of this (one gallon of Regular Clorox Bleach) as 3,800 gallons of drinking water.
When the tap water stops flowing, Regular Clorox Bleach isn't just a laundry-aid, it's a lifesaver. Use it to purify water, and you'll have something to drink.
It's the same in any natural disaster. As the shock wears off and the days wear on, the biggest demand is for drinking water. Time after time, relief crews hand out free Clorox Bleach with simple instructions: use it to kill bacteria in your water and you'll have purified water to drink. Here's how: (Store these directions with your emergency bottle of Clorox Bleach.)
First let water stand until particles settle. Pour the clear water into an uncontaminated container and add Regular Clorox Bleach per the chart.* Mix well. Wait 30 min. Water should have a slight bleach odor. If not, repeat dose. Wait 15 min. Sniff again. Keep an eyedropper taped to your emergency bottle of Clorox Bleach, since purifying small amounts of water requires only a few drops. See chart* suggestions for storage bottle replacement.
Don't pour purified water into contaminated containers. To sanitize water jugs first, see instructions** at right.
Without water and electricity, even everyday tasks are tough. In lieu of steaming hot water, sanitize dishes with a little Clorox Bleach. Just follow the directions below to keep dishes clean.
Whether you use Clorox Bleach in an emergency or for everyday chores, it's always an environmentally sound choice. After its work is done, Clorox Bleach breaks down to little more than salt and water, which is good news anytime.
*Ratio of Clorox Bleach to Water for Purification
2 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per quart of water
8 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per gallon of water
1/2 teaspoon Regular Clorox Bleach per five gallons of water
If water is cloudy, double the recommended dosages of Clorox Bleach.
(Only use Regular Clorox Bleach (not Fresh Scent or Lemon Fresh). To insure that Clorox Bleach is at its full strength, replace your storage bottle every three months.)
**(Clorox Bleach Sanitizing Solution)
Mix 1 tablespoon Regular Clorox Bleach with one gallon of water. Always wash and rinse items first, then let each item soak in Clorox Bleach Sanitizing Solution for 2 minutes. Drain and air dry.

[edit on 19-3-2009 by Northern Raider]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join