It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Mexico abolishes the death penalty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

New Mexico abolishes the death penalty

rawstory.com

The Democratic-controlled Senate voted 24-18 to strike the death penalty from its law books.

Democrat Richardson, who last month withdrew as President Barack Obama's pick to be commerce secretary, has not made clear whether he agrees with the repeal measure or plans to veto it, but lawmakers said they expect him to sign it into law.

There are about 10 US states currently considering repealing the death penalty, which is applied in 36 of the 50 states in the union.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Interesting ... i guess it really isn't that big of a deal since they have only executed 1 person since 1976 ... but still this is an interesting step ... i'm a believer in capital punishment ... an eye for an eye ... this will supposedly save 1 million dollars? how? i don't i guess i'm just biased on the subject ... call me immoral i don't care ...

thoughts?

rawstory.com

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Not Just Yet...
the bill past but now its on the governors desk... he can still veto it... On our local new they also said this wouldn't effect those already on death row...

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
good. we won't be truly evolved until the death penalty no longer exists.

i know most people love the death penalty though.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Meh I don't believe in having a penalty of death for anyone other than child murderers and rapists really.

Then again I don't really believe that these people deserve anything if there is no doubt they have comitted these crimes.

But I do agree with Darko that this ago old idea of killing people for their sins really makes us no better than them in a sense.

I think eventually we will probably just privatize the prisons and the corporations will do as they see fit with those who un-luckily get a one way ticket.

Besides, Lethal Injection and the Electric Chair are so 90's.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Meh I don't believe in having a penalty of death for anyone other than child murderers and rapists really.

Then again I don't really believe that these people deserve anything if there is no doubt they have comitted these crimes.

But I do agree with Darko that this ago old idea of killing people for their sins really makes us no better than them in a sense.

I think eventually we will probably just privatize the prisons and the corporations will do as they see fit with those who un-luckily get a one way ticket.

Besides, Lethal Injection and the Electric Chair are so 90's.

~Keeper

I oppose the death penalty altogether actually. It's just not a good idea. I don't care really about the people who get it, but we shouldn't harden our hearts. Even murderers, pedophiles and rapists have a family that loves them, and I think they should be allowed to visit them while they serve their life term (and i mean until they die).

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I my self do not have a problem with the death penalty , what I have a issue with is how many where on death row and have been found not to have done the crime or be anywhere near where the crime happened.
In till we can have law enforcement that we can trust I do not want to put someone to death , as it can not be undone.

Right now there are over a dozen people who are being released as it has been found that the prosecutor and police lied to get them convicted.
And how many more are there who did not do the crime!
When we get the government fixed and honest then we can see about the Death penalty and if we need it.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Okay here's the latest on this...

Gov. solicits public on death penalty abolition

Gov. Bill RichardsonGov. Bill Richardson, whose signature could abolish the death penalty in New Mexico, spoke publicly Saturday about his dilemma over signing the bill.

The governor said in the days after the attacks of 9-11, he supported the death penalty. But in the last couple of years, he says his thinking has started to change.

"You see prosecutorial abuse, you see inmates that have been wrongly incarcerated, you see DNA evidence that's faulty," Richardson said.

Those doubts could play a role in Richardson's decision to either sign or reject a bill passed by the New Mexico Senate Friday that would abolish the death penalty for life without parole. The governor has until Wednesday to decide.

"I've struggled with this. It's something probably that you get as governor once in a lifetime, so I want to make the right choice," he said.

The governor also says he understands the view that there should be an ultimate penalty for society's worst criminals, like cop killers.

"You want our police, you want our law enforcement officials to feel that when they put their lives on the line for the population, that there's going to be a deterrent for them," the governor said.

The governor said he is looking for the public's input before he decides.

"I want to hear compelling argument, factual arguments. I want to hear from the clergy-conscious arguments," he said.

Although the death penalty is still common in places like China, Africa and Middle-Eastern countries, The United States is on an increasingly short list of western nations that still execute prisoners--something the governor says he's aware of.

"It bothers me that America is one of the few countries that still has the death penalty," he said.

The governor's office has been flooded with thousands of calls and e-mails on the issues, with opinion split evenly. Now, the governor says he wants to go face-to-face with voters.

"We're going to be available all weekend to hear from constituents," he said. "I'm going to meet with constituents on Monday--anyone that wants to talk to me about this issue," he said.

the story goes on to say
You can call the governor at 505-476-2225. You can also e-mail him through his WebSiteunder the "contact the governor" link.
So as you can see this isnt a done deal yet

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by baseball101

... this will supposedly save 1 million dollars? how?
thoughts?

rawstory.com

The $$ would be saved by not tying up the court systems with appeals.

I for one, believe we should have "hard labor camps". As of now our prisons are more like retirement homes for the criminally minded. The majority of immates are "institutionalized" meaning they can't function in a civilized society.

The "Death Penalty" is nothing more than life without parole. These people make a new life within the prison system. We're not really punishing them by giving them "3 hots and a cot" along with cable TV,congical visits and all the other priviliges that goes with the stay. Sounds like a vacation spot doesn't it?

You hear from the "short-timers" about how bad it is but not so much from the "lifers". They make it their world, not the one we supposedly gave them for punishment.

One other thought-

The governor also says he understands the view that there should be an ultimate penalty for society's worst criminals, like cop killers.

"You want our police, you want our law enforcement officials to feel that when they put their lives on the line for the population, that there's going to be a deterrent for them," the governor said.

I think the governor should have thought this line through alittle bit. The Police have just as much right to live as the people they're here to protect
not any more and not any less. They chose their profession along with the dangers that go with it. To seperate the "Death Penalty" for "cop killers" is putting our law enforcement agencies above the American people.

top topics

join