It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

paraplegic man suffers spider bite, walks again.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
cbs13.com...

"He has been confined to a wheelchair for 20 years. Now a paraplegic man is walking again, and his doctors call it a miracle."

It is an intriguing story... this is the type of random chance encounter that could lead to a new type of study on the effects spider venom and paraplegic cases.

I could not imagine the emotions this man has gone through in a short amount of time. Just goes to show there are so many things about this planet we do not understand, and the resources that are available to us that we squander.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Star & Flag! I like hearing stories like this- although after reading the article- he went to therapy to rehab after the spider bite, and that was how he found out his nerves were still active. So the fact he went to physical therapy and a very attentive therapist is the reason for his recovery.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

The expression bite me will have a totally new meaning for this man now
I hope his recovery will be permanent.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

This is crazy, definitely proof that venom from spiders and other animals has medicinal properties and that more research is needed ASAP. Nature has a lot of hidden secrets I just hope they are used for good not just exploited for profit by the big corporations.

Perhaps this guy'll start web slinging across New York and fighting crime too

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MajesticJax

Inventers and discoverers aren't the same thing. You must be assuming that every other doctor he's ever had is an idiot then? I think it's kind of a miracle that he saw so many horrible doctors that "missed" it, so regularly.

I like these kinds of stories to it kind of brings a guy hope a li'l bit haha.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo

I went to three or four doctors and three or four therapists when I had my first knee injury. It took 10 years to find one willing to just go ahead and put a scope in there to see what was wrong after it never healed right.

My second knee injury ended up with the dr and therapist saying that I'm fine. I currently can't even lay down without stabbing pains going through my knee, and my kneecap is on the side of my leg.

For every good dr out there, there are 5 that barely even take the time to glance at your chart or even ask your name.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
That could possibly be one of the scariest things i've ever heard. If indeed what happened to you happened to this guy, I'd be really really angry. I might even make use of my new lags to implant boots into certain places haha.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
my spidey-senses are tingling over this one.
awesome news.
but did he sprout 6 more legs tho?
no.
hmph.

-

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

You can expect it to get worse when the doctors are even more overloaded by nationalized health care.

Is your knee better now?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
That is awesome! Good for him.

At least he didn't have to get onboard Oceanic Flight 815 to walk again!

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

No, it's pretty much permanent. I'll need a replacement before it gets better.

I'm dreading the day that we get socialized health care. It's screwed up enough as it is.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
The problem with this is, its probably some kind of one off rare chemical reaction that has somehow caused his spine to heal.
The cells that make up the membrane to grow back.
However of course, if they could reproduce that reaction, there would be no people with damaged spines who cant walk.
But what the odds of them being able to re produce it?
They should have this man in the lab asap testing every single little thing.
Clearly this shows us, that anything is possible in relation to cures for diseases.
However the only research that gets funded is things that can make immediate quick money.
Perhaps if they found what this was, it would be free, so no one would pursue it.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Many of the topics on these boards can get you down.
A story like this puts a smile back on your face.

blujay gets a star from me cause LOST is the best show going

[edit on 14-3-2009 by GuyverUnit I]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Being that I currently work in the media, I am going through some of my channels to get in touch with the author of this article.

I have a few questions since the article is a little vague on wether the bite actually caused the reversal of his problem, or if it was just the reason he went to the hospital and the "nerve regeneration" just happened to be caught while he was there.

It may take a few days, but I will try to update when I can.

Regardless, for someone to not have ANY movement or sensation in his legs for 20 years, this is a profound story.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
The venom caused a twitch, if that didn't happen the therapist would never have realized that the guys nerves were asleep but still working. The venom did not magically heal the guy, it just woke his nerves from their slumber.

If people are wondering how doctors missed that fact, well they are just human. Most of them hardly remember the things they studied in college as do most of us. My mother, who is studying now, can diagnose what is wrong with patients on those medical mystery shows in 15 minutes or less. Some mysteries took multiple doctors years to solve, most doctors are a lot dumber than you would think.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
This article was so brief that I found it hard to tell whether the spider bite played a role at all.

Did the bite cause the spasm?
Or was he just in the hospital for the spider bite when the non-related spasm was noticed?

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

This is crazy, definitely proof that venom from spiders and other animals has medicinal properties and that more research is needed ASAP. Nature has a lot of hidden secrets I just hope they are used for good not just exploited for profit by the big corporations.

Perhaps this guy'll start web slinging across New York and fighting crime too

The spider bite might numb the senses or nerves.
I didn't discover bites until I saw red marks.

So this guy felt spider bites.
Some how a reaction helped in his case.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Ah, a love bite from a small critter. This goes to show that although some bites from a spider could be deadly nature has lots of surprises and we shouldn't go around harming our creepy, crawling 'enemies', just because it looks funny and packs a mean bite.

[edit on 2009-3-14 by pikypiky]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Electromotivation
This article was so brief that I found it hard to tell whether the spider bite played a role at all.

Did the bite cause the spasm?
Or was he just in the hospital for the spider bite when the non-related spasm was noticed?

I think that is what we are all wondering about...

Looking forward to an update to this article. There are too many "what ifs" for this story to be swept under the rug.

[edit on 14-3-2009 by TwiTcHomatic]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by GuyverUnit I
Many of the topics on these boards can get you down.
A story like this puts a smile back on your face.

blujay gets a star from me cause LOST is the best show going

[edit on 14-3-2009 by GuyverUnit I]

Thanks, GuyverUnit! Yes it is

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join