It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wireless Tasers extend the long arm of the law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Wireless Tasers extend the long arm of the law

www.newscientist.com

TASER stun guns are going wireless, doubling their range.

The Taser XREP is an electrically charged dart that can be fired from up to 20 metres away with a 12-gauge shotgun. Upon impact, its barbed electrodes penetrate a victim's skin, discharging a 20-second burst of electricity to "distract, disorient and entice the subject to grab the projectile", says Taser. But grabbing the dart routes the shock through the hand, making it difficult to let go and spreading the pain further.

While the XREP delivers a lower voltage for a longer time, a spokeswoman for Taser says its effect is similar to existing versions.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
YEE-HAAAWWW!

Get ready for a whole new electrocution experience people!

Now you get blasted with a high voltage tranquilizing dart, shot out of a shot-gun.

Oh, I'm sure this will be SO much safer than the previous versions, with no potential for abuse...lol.

More toys to unleash the fun on the civilianry...

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry to much except for being tasered in the head. Sooner or later, ordinary people will be able to buy vests to protect themselves from being tasered.

Something similar to this story.

An Arizona inventor has been granted a patent on his Taser-proof fabric, which he intends to sell to police officers to protect them from villains toting electric stunguns. However, it has been argued that protective garments of this sort will in fact endanger policemen's lives.

www.theregister.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I wonder what happen if you hit someone around the heart area. Extra volts across the heart cant be a good thing.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I have been shot with the 12G Taser round when I went through Taser Instructor School. It hurts..lol. It works good, but can be non affective depending on what the suspect is wearing. With a thick down winter coat on it still shocked but not anywhere close to with just a tshirt. As for the shooting in the head, it won't kill, but it WILL leave a lump. One of the deputies in my class took a round just above his upper lip...still shocked him but the welt and bruise last MUCH longer!

Like anything else, if used properly this will be a good tool for certain suspects.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by InSpiteOf

I got hit in the center of the chest, it didn't do anything to my heart. You have to understand how it works. Its the AMPS that matter, voltage don't mean anything when it comes to less lethal like this.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
Like anything else, if used properly this will be a good tool for certain suspects.

Like everything else, it won't be used properly.

I give it 2 months after release before someone uses this at point blank range while the victim is already cuffed.

... or someone uses it on a man with a heart defect who isn't resisting.

It doesn't matter how advanced the tool is, it cannot compensate for human stupidity.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
LOL...you always bring such a positive vibe johnsky...

Anyway...a persons heart conditions IS NOT our problem if their acting like a retard. If your fighting and threathing someone or us to bad. Noone can be expected to stand their and interview a cracked out ahole about his physical condition...so thats just stupid to say.

As for the misuse, i'm sure it will be misused, just like eveeything else is in this country by EVERYONE. Not just Police...when that happens you can come here and cray about it then, and if it was blatant misuse then i'll be on your side...but instead of being negative ALL the time, I'll wait till it happens.

It doesn't matter how advanced the tool is, it cannot compensate for human stupidity.

True...not just for LEO's either...look at mankind in general...not to bright anymore.

[edit on 3/12/2009 by rcwj75]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

Good to know about the thick winter down coat vs. t shirt. Since the Arizona guy is only selling to LEO's, this information may come in handy. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
What else would you expect from those criminals in uniform that call themselves law enforcement officers. No they enforce the laws of their masters and not the people. Well its a good thing that the US citizenry are well armed because very soon now they will be using those weapons on the perps and the pawns who do their bidding.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
Good to know about the thick winter down coat vs. t shirt. Since the Arizona guy is only selling to LEO's, this information may come in handy. Thanks.

use it how you want whitewave, just understand that if your doing something to get tasered wear that coat on purpose to continue the behavior, the next level of force might not be in your best interest...nor will your jacket work with that. So try it at your own risk...

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

You know, I grew up being taught that "the police are your friends. They are there to help you in times of trouble." Just one of the many lies I was told growing up.

I am not a lawbreaker. My dealings with LEO's over the years have shown me who the real lawbreakers are. Apparently you don't have to actually be breaking the law to get tazed by a LEO.

You just have to irk them or frighten them or insult them. You don't even have to do it intentionally or out of spite. Just raise your hand to wave "hi" and down you go. Just ask them for clarification like "now or ever?" and you'll get wrestled down and forcibly stripped of all your clothes.

I've met a LOT of cops that were very pleasant and charming people socially but even they have told me they get in a different mind set when they put on that badge and gun.

I'll continue to do whatever is necessary to protect myself from what I KNOW is the REAL danger and threat. And cops need to understand that their abuse has gone on so long that they are not the only ones with weapons.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

12-gauge shotgun. Wow.

top topics

join