It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlantis and Cloud-Cuckoo-Land

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
There is only one ancient literary source that deals with Atlantis, Plato's Timaeus and Critias. There is also only one ancient literary source that deals with Cloud-Cuckoo-Land, Aristophanes' 'the Birds'.
Why then is no-one looking for Cloud-Cuckoo-Land?

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Because we already found it.

These days it's called the "Ancient & Lost Civilizations " section of the Above Top Secret forum!

Harte

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte
Because we already found it.

These days it's called the "Ancient & Lost Civilizations " section of the Above Top Secret forum!

Harte

you know harte i was looking at the list of people who can legally say "we found it" and you aren't on it. you have stated that you tried to get on it but you confessed you were rejected. has something changed?

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
So you started a thread just to make fun of people who believe in Atlantis.

Cute.

Vas

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
actually it is pretty accurate only i've never heard the bird called a cuckoo before.... the people of the hau skies who live in the land of the zu bird.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasilis Azoth

Hello Azoth,

How many threads are there on ATS that discuss the Atlantis theme? I do not know for sure but I imagine there must be a fair number. I find it surprising then and not a little unsettling that yet another thread concerning Atlantis is allowed to get off the ground and continue to run.

But perhaps this thread is allowed to run because it is having a pot shot at those who believe there is more to the story of Plato's Atlantis, that - like Troy - it may actually have existed in reality.

But that particular argument is not my concern here, nor the reason I have made this post. My concern here is about the inconsitency of moderation.

There are numerous threads on ATS discussing the theme of Atlantis. There are also numerous threads on ATS discussing Ooparts (Out of Place Artefacts). The thrread (link below) was discussing such artefacts recently and was more or less immediately shut down because it was apparently discussing a topic that had been discussed elsewhere on ATS on numerous occasions. And yet this thread discussing Atlantis (yet again) is allowed to continue.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Fair enough you might say. Except when you actually look at the content of the thread that was shut down and see that there is a post in there (from myself) which actually refers to a recent paper published by a team of geologists that presents new evidence that dates the Great Sphinx at Giza to around 1 million years old!!! This has to be the biggest (if not oldest) Ooopart known to man. This paper has only recently been released therefore the Sphinx as an Oopart has never been discussed as an Oopart in relation to the timescale of this particular geological paper.

And yet the moderation team (Byrd) felt it necessary to end the discussion on this before it had even begun; shut down by a moderator who - incidentally - is also a moderator at the Hall of Ma'at site where such controversial discussions are generally unwelcome - and especially so when they can actually present hard, empirical evidence in their support.

It begs the question then why this particular Atlantis thread is allowed to continue when there are many other previous Atlantis threads on ATS?

From where I am standing, it seems that if an anti-alternative thread such as this is permitted to continue (one assumes with full editorial backing) and yet, at the same time, legitimate pro-alternative threads with serious points being made and evidence presented are shut down - then something truly is rotten in the state of Denmark.

I guess I've just issued the death-knell for this particular thread. Apologies in advance.

Regards,

Scott Creighton

[edit on 12/3/2009 by Scott Creighton]

[edit on 13/3/2009 by Scott Creighton]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Let me clarify the issue I was trying to raise. It seems strange to me that Atlantis should occupy such a large part in contemporary Western consciousness, when there is only one source that deals with the place. It appears that most 'lost civilisation' theories get bound up with the Atlantis story. Why is there such a fascination with the place?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Osmoses
Let me clarify the issue I was trying to raise. It seems strange to me that Atlantis should occupy such a large part in contemporary Western consciousness, when there is only one source that deals with the place. It appears that most 'lost civilisation' theories get bound up with the Atlantis story. Why is there such a fascination with the place?

you can get ever larger groups of international scientists and scholars together because they know that what the common man thinks they know is a laugh. the sad fact is that you were educated on the subject by a grade school teacher and thats where it stopped. feel empowered?

the national geological institute of a european union country say they've found it. that is who they are... who are you? are you an important person? do you represent your government? no you represent miss crabtree from 3rd grade.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I have no idea what grade school is, American I imagine, and am unacquainted with this Miss Crabtree of yours.
The abstract of the paper by Ticleanu, Constantin and Nicolescu isn't very well translated, but they appear to advocate a site on the Pannonian plain destroyed in 9541 BCE. Is this what you are referring to?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
school levels 1-6

those are the fellows.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Osmoses

Probably the same reason that the idea of God...or any other (possibly) mythical being/place/creature ends up in our consciousness and handed down through the generations.

People NEED something to believe in.
They NEED a reason to keep going, or they did back when most of this stuff was happening....now it is just a part of human consciousness... impossible to just forget.
It is ingrained in our psyche...

It is escapism and fantasy..but if people get something out of it or enjoy it, then it's a good thing.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

It is escapism and fantasy..but if people get something out of it or enjoy it, then it's a good thing.

could you cite your scientific or scholarly source that categorically says it never existed at all anywhere? i've been trying for a long time with no success.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parta
could you cite your scientific or scholarly source that categorically says it never existed at all anywhere? i've been trying for a long time with no success.

Well as the OP quite rightly stated, there is only one known source of the origin of this myth/tale/legend.

I was merely stating my opinion and agreeing with others who feel the same.
I did not see in my post that i mentioned a scholarly source or a scientific one so i take it you're being facetious....

Could you possibly cite your sources that categorically state that it DOES exist or did exist somewhere some time?
As you may or may not be aware....the burden of proof is on the believer, not the person taking a more realistic or skeptical stance.

Thanks,

Blup

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

the national geolgical institute of a european union country said in november that it exists. that is a good scientific source that would normally be the entity that killed such a claim.
exeter and goethe have now plopped themselves down on what would then be the real troy [iarcuri] and intend to stay there for the foreseeable future.
the serbian government is hovering around the great cowpen they've discovered they've got. all in all its going to be alot of fun.

your fantasy escapism angle is backed up by who now? you? who are you?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parta
the national geolgical institute of a european union country said in november that it exists. that is a good scientific source that would normally be the entity that killed such a claim.

So instead of posting your sources I'm just going to take your word for it?
I'm not saying that there are no lost cities anywhere underwater or that parts of the earth/earths crust/continents have not fallen in to the sea....obviously.... that would be ignorant.

BUT...not as ignorant as saying that ATLANTIS....the actual place described by Plato, with gold walls and all....existed??
I mean....are you actually serious?
And I'm in Europe...so which EU country says with 100% certainty, that Atlantis existed??
I would love for you to divulge this information.....I'm salivating at the thought of it...

your fantasy escapism angle is backed up by who now? you? who are you?

Anyone with an ounce of intelligence.
I keep an open mind... i believe there COULD have been somewhere like Atlantis ( a city that got swallowed by the sea/collapsed into the sea) but to say that THE actual Atlantis existed is just preposterous and cannot be validated.

You may as well cite the weekly world news' article that bigfoot existed too....

And i am who i am....i don't need to tell you anything about me to validate my OPINION....yet you are claiming extraordinary things....and what do extraordinary claims require.... that's right....extraordinary EVIDENCE!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
in november in athens at the olympics of atlantis conferences, the romanian national institute of geology presented a paper saying that they have found it. the authors are mentioned in another topic by another poster... last page in mu and lemuria. maybe you can ask that individual for the url to the report if you are interested.

exeter, goethe and the fantasical 1800hectare late bronze/early iron age city of iarcuri is yours through google. exeter goethe iarcuri

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Parta

So as you're not responding I'll take that as a no then.
they have NOT found Atlantis....as described by Plato...but they have found some underwater ruins of a long-lost city, society.... not quite the same thing is it??

Ah well......carry on..

[edit on 13/3/09 by blupblup]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

what are you talking about not responding. you have the institution name, a national institution of a european union country and the authors... they have annouunced publically at the proper venue that they have found atlantis as described by plato on dry land in the middle of europe and anyone can go and see very easily. what is this underwater nonsense and not the same thing.

you seem rattled?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Could you post a link to the paper then Parta?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Osmoses

oh it was in here and not the other topic sorry.. don't you have it? you said "Ticleanu, Constantin and Nicolescu" 9451bc pannonian plane and poorly translated...

they have the copyright and the only access i am aware of is directly through them. i thought you must have communicated with them or found the link.

it is quite clear in googlemaps what they are talking about. its pretty hard to miss. fills the whole window

another angle

[edit on 13-3-2009 by Parta]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join