It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kennedy knighted?? what about the constitution?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Brown told the senator on Tuesday night that Queen Elizabeth II had made him a member of British nobility. In his speech, Brown referred to the senator as "Sir Edward Kennedy" and called him a "great friend."

Ok, so I get that it's a great honor for Senator Kennedy and that he's done a lot of good during his tenure and that he probably won't live much longer and that they probably wanted to give this honor to him while he was alive but WHAT ABOUT THE CONSTITUTION?????? Yeah the document's old and all but we American's always talk about it like it's supposed to mean something. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall anything in the constitution that says these requirements are void if you're really old and about to die! I'm seriously getting so disillusioned with everything political, not one person ANYWHERE has mentioned the fact that this is against the constitution - I was so sure when I checked ATS that someone would have caught this... but NOOOO. NOBODY CARES ANYMORE!!!

Article I; Section 9:
No title of nobility shall be granted by the United States: and no person holding any office of profit or trust under them, shall, without the consent of the Congress, accept of any present, emolument, office, or title, of any kind whatever, from any king, prince, or foreign state.

Ok, rant over... smile.. take a breath....

Edited to fix links... but then I heard a loud sucking sound coming from Senator Kennedy's website and found this:

Kennedy on Honorary Knighthood

WASHINGTON DC- Senator Edward M. Kennedy today released the following statement after the British government announced he will be designated a Knight Commander, Order of the British Empire:

“I’m deeply grateful to Her Majesty the Queen and to Prime Minister Brown for this extraordinary honor. I have always prized the opportunity to work with the British government and strengthen and deepen the role of our two countries as leading beacons of democracy in the world. I am proud that I was able to play a part in the decades-long effort to bring peace to Northern Ireland. I also think of my ties to Britain that stretch back across the years—from my childhood to the Kennedy Scholars today who come from Britain to study in America. It was from Britain that my oldest brother left for his last mission during World War II. It is in Britain that a portion of land at Runnymede, where the Magna Carta was signed, is now designated as American soil and dedicated to President Kennedy as a gift of the British people.

“So for me this honor is moving and personal— a reflection not only of my public life, but of things that profoundly matter to me as an individual. I accept this honor in the spirit in which it is given, with a continuing commitment to be a voice for the voiceless and for the shared ideals of freedom and fairness which are so fundamental to the character of our two countries.”

[edit on 4/3/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

Thank you for your compliance and understanding.

[edit on 3/5/2009 by kinglizard]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

It is honorary....not real.

I admit, it is kind of odd, but it is only honorary.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Okay? How about posting your sources. That may help your argument.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
This was the first I've heard of it. So thank you for posting.

Am I surprised? No.

Am I disgusted? Yes.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Blueracer

I don't know if you were talking to me, but here is a link to the "honorary knighthood" story.

Kennedy Honorary Knighthood

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1

Yes - its just an honorary title. The article below explains it a little better.

Times Online - Kennedy Knighted

Unlike British citizens honoured by knighthoods, Senator Kennedy will not be given the title 'Sir Ted', which is not permitted for foreign recipients. Instead, he will simply be allocated the initials KBE - Knight of the British Empire - after his name.

For what its worth - several others from the US that have been given honorary knighthood over the years - Bill Gates, Rudy Giuliani, Steven Spielberg, Ronald Reagan, George Bush and Alan Greenspan, etc..

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

According to him it's: Knight Commander, Order of the British Empire

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Did you read the story I linked to?

It is honorary only.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Well, After all ted is a killer and has worked very hard for the illegal immigrant community! He loves us to have flouride and mercury. He loves us to have tainted/leaded products. Raise those taxes don't build a fence says ted kill those babies and bring on NAFTA!

www.votesmart.org...

www.ontheissues.org...

Makes me wonder what they are thinking; not.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs

Yes - its just an honorary title. The article below explains it a little better.

Times Online - Kennedy Knighted

Unlike British citizens honoured by knighthoods, Senator Kennedy will not be given the title 'Sir Ted', which is not permitted for foreign recipients. Instead, he will simply be allocated the initials KBE - Knight of the British Empire - after his name.

For what its worth - several others from the US that have been given honorary knighthood over the years - Bill Gates, Rudy Giuliani, Steven Spielberg, Ronald Reagan, George Bush and Alan Greenspan, etc..

For the record, the Time Online article was posted before it was announced. When PM Brown was announcing it he referred to him as Sir Edward and on Sir Edward's website he himself says his title is "Knight Commander, Order of the British Empire". In any case, honorary or otherwise it's still a title of distinction which is unlawful for a sitting Senator.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
What the hell difference does it make if he did get an honory knighthood. It doesnt give him any special powers or anything.

Honours from foreign powers are confered to foreigners all the time.

If i was awarded the ''American Congressional Medal of the Grand Poobah with Double Oak Leaves and Gold Cross'', would that make people jealous and make me special? ......... if so, I want one

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
If President Obama can be “GOVERNED” by Great Britian, why can't a lowly US Senator be awarded an honorary Knighthood?

Governed by Great Britian

US Constitution
R.I.P.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I think people seem to think the founding fathers were stupid or something. This is the reason they put these types of rules into their constitution, into their Bill of Rights etc. The reason you wouldn't want anyone having a Knighthood in the US government is that although you think it only in title, it also carries with it duties. If someone holding a Knighthood was to talk against the monarchy, they would have the title removed. He speaks well of the monarchy in his daily dealings and his secret dealings that are exact what got him this title in the first place.

Just like all the big singers that get Knighted. They have put forth their contribution to the masses for the monarchy. They push the agenda forward and cover up and assist the corrupt politicians which get them noted by the ruling classes. Bono, Jagger, Striesand, all recognized in some way for their contributions toward the NWO. All very political too....

Rgds
S&F

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AllTiedTogether

I can't possible think that Ozzy Osbourne is politcal in any way. Ozzy was given the honary knight hood.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
What the heck? The above posts prove to me that this honorary title isn't worth a dang. Ozzy Osborne? Ted Kennedy? Give me a break. This world is seriously nuts!

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Yea I don't care that he gets knighted, unless there's some conspiracy linked to it. Which there could be. I don't get why Americans are getting knighted in the first place. Why is it an honor? Who cares about some old farts honoring you. they have no power or relevance.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

His lyrics incited certain people to act in certain ways. Anyone who listens to it is affected in some way. I know people who listened to him and believed he spoke for the devil and therefore read about and dressed in black like the devil. Music is not the only example. You will find the same in other types of media, the monarchy also gives Knighthoods to media like Ed R Murrows and Alistair Cooke.

Each person is more or less a public speaker for the monarchy. Like a KofC fourth degree member, its an honorary title. Like the mason 34th degree is honorary I believe(don't jump on me... it's not a mason thread). You may hear them speak in favor of the monarchy or they may do something to the monarchies benefit that you don't know or hear about. Like maybe doing something politically that would enable your country to be taken over by the EU or the monarchy. You get the point..,.

[edit on 4-3-2009 by AllTiedTogether]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I'm struggling through Kennedy's online biographies to find a single good deed he did for the United Kingdom to justify such an award.

I can't find a damned thing.

In my mind he's notable for his interference in British/Irish politics with his perceived support for extreme Irish nationalism, having called for British protestants in Northern Ireland to "move to Britain" if they couldn't stomach a united Ireland & having called for the removal of the British Army from Northern Ireland at the height of the civil disorder in the early 1980's.

This award is, well, a bit perplexing.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
What the hell difference does it make if he did get an honory knighthood. It doesnt give him any special powers or anything.

Don't you be so sure. Have you ever seen Bono lifting cars with just his mind?

Well nor have I, but he can, I read it somewhere, some time......honestly....

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by AmericanDaughter

Makes me wonder who he's really working for

Interesting list:

Americans knighted by The Queen of England

JohnnyR

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join