It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass whale stranding in Tasmania

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Mass whale stranding in Tasmania

news.bbc.co.uk

Australian authorities are racing to save dozens of pilot whales and a small pod of dolphins beached on an island.

The mammals have stranded themselves on King Island, in the Bass Strait between the mainland and the southern state of Tasmania.

Reports say about 140 out of nearly 200 whales have already died.

More than 400 whales have died in Tasmanian waters in recent months, in a phenomenon for which scientists still have no definitive explanation.

----------------

Mass strandings of whales occur periodically in Australia and New Zealand, as the whales migrate to and from Antarctic waters, for reasons that are not entirely understood.

Theories include disturbance of echo-location, possibly by interference from sound produced by human activities at sea.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
100+ whales, dolphins die in Australia beachings
This is a previous thread from the same area but from 2004!!

[edit on 2-3-2009 by BigC2012]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
With recent talk of problems with earths magnetosphere it seems like these events with whales and dolphins are happening more frequently. A while back the royal navy admitted to having been running underwater sonar experiments in an area where a load of dolphins beached but this seems pretty extreme and may not count in this case although we might never know.

It seems like there are plenty of things happening with our GPS magnetic orientation too with a noted increase in plane crashes and other accidents like the sattelite collisions and nuclear submarine crash.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Just to link in some other threads possibly related to this:

Visible evidence of the degradation of the magnetosphere

A giant breach in earths magnetosphere

200 dolphins flounder in mystery beaching

Is it possible that all these factors are connected in some way, maybe a pole shift already underway? We don't know much about these mysterious animals but they do use sonar and earths magnetic lines in some way to navigate, maybe they are the signs we need to take heed of.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Thread started already here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Apparently some are seeing a correlation between earthquakes and beaching whales..

Interesting the thread you linked to was in Nov of 2004, and there was a major earthquake and tsunami in December. Perhaps you can add that info to the other thread.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   

The state of Tasmania has experienced about 540 beachings in the past 22 weeks, including four mass strandings in the past three months - and to make matters worse, many rescue efforts are ineffective and cruel, the crew of whale conservation group Sea Shepherd says.

"Dolphins don't beach. It just doesn’t happen unless an individual has a brain disorder. So to get so many whales and dolphins stranded at once is extraordinarily unusual," Sea Shepherd’s national director for research, Ness Pearce, said.

"When you find that the areas where the animals are commonly stranded are those where there is coal, oil and gas exploration going on through the use of siesmic activities, there is undoubtedly something going on here other than nature."
news.ninemsn.com.au...

I would say it was more man induced than from natural events

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

Thanks lernmore for pointing that out, my search didn't drag that thread up but strangely sent me to a similar thread from 2004, weird indeed!! I have posted the info in that thread.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I read somewhere that this was a result of damage from sonar to the animals from submarines. Makes the whale pod deaf.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

From this event in Tazmania? Have you a link to that news on the net because I remember an event in britain about 2 months ago where the royal navy admitted they were using sonar in that region but nothing more came of it.

new topics

top topics

join