It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark matter galaxy evidence of type 3 civilization?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Thanks, Kandinsky.....hope we're not straying off-topic....

But, based on OUR post, how does 'tilting' amount to a 'day/night' cycle????

I mean.....hate to be crass, but consider a light bulb in a lamp. The Lamp shade gets light, all-round, as lonbg as the bulb is lit, correct???

A ring, or a sphere (props to the OP) would receive constant light.....UNLESS there was a mechanism of some sort....solve THAT! And, we have a solution to the dilemma....

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
If you could make the ring spin one revolution every 24 hrs then I guess it would be like earth, although the sunrises and sunsets would be instant lol.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by FortyTwo

Wait, 42.....THINK about it.....

first off, spinning the imaginary 'ring' once every 24 hours would create a centrifugal force, simulating 'gravity', that would be incompatible with Human, or ANY life on Earth, for that matter.

Let's ponder this, with our 'thinking caps' on, for a few moments.

Firstly, let's consider 'PI'. Pi is, in ten-digit mathematics, approximately 3.1416

It is the ratio, of a circle compared to its radius.

More exactly, the circumference of a circle, compared to its radius.

This ratio, 'Pi', is useful in mathematics. We can use it to describe the area of a circle. "PI*R squared)

Or, to imagine a circumference....2(Pi)r.....where 'r' is the radius of the circle....so, for our 'ring' around a given star, we'd have to choose, firstly, the proper distance.....based on the type of star, and energy it gives off....gets complicated, doesn't it?

Let's say, we use Earth as an example.....96 million miles. My calculator needs new batteries....but, microsoft is clever, THEY have a calculator.....

OK.....perhaps my math is incorrect, but just first look? To build a 'ring' around our SUN, in the orbit that approximates the Earth, would require a path of over 3 BILLION miles.

Look....a Type 3 Civililization???

Cone on....if they haven't perfect interstellar travel by then, they are extinct!!!!

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I didn't say it was feasible, I was just pointing out how day/night could be simulated. I presonally think this ring would be more useful if it encircled the star, and made to rotate for gravity. The people would just have to deal with not having nighttime.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Exactly, 42....in this 'imagined' world, there would be no 'night'....

But, again I ask....a 'type 3' civilization would not need this....they have better tech!!!!!

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Small, extremely interisting Excourse:

Dr. Michio Kaku: 3 types of Extraterrestrial Civilizations:

ADD: Please don't drift into NWO discussion when you hear what this man has to say about the transition from type 0 to 1. Please....

[edit on 2.3.2009 by SiONiX]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

.....to imagine an ENTIRE GALAXY encased in a sort of Dyson's Sphere? I've read a LOT of Science Fiction....but, come on!!!! To encase an ENTIRE Galaxy would require more matter than existed in the Galaxy to begin with!!!!!

[edit on 3/2/0909 by weedwhacker]

OK how are you not getting this? Imagine a dyson sphere around every star in the galaxy except for those with habitable planets, hence the "couple hundred visible" quip in the article. These spheres could then contain an almost inexaustible amount of energy for whatever epic project you want to undertake.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
All this talk of Dyson spheres being impossible because of material aquisition... Think out side our lil human box for a moment folks. If you are capable of the technical knowlege and man/machine power to attempt to build one, chances are you already know a great way to access materials. Hows this for an idea? Our solar system (taken as an example) is surrounded by orbiting junk. Throwbacks from the cosmic cataclysm that spawned our world, and all the worlds in the system. All that material could be harvested from that orbiting junk. Further more, rather than building nanotech to combat or nullify the fury of a sun, why not make nano which REQUIRE those outputs as their energy source. A reactive system, the more power released by the sun , the more effective the spheres containment becomes. Self policing system there eh ?? Just a thought.
Where Galaxy containment is concerned, I think there would be a case for attempting a null feild round the galaxy rather than a solid structure. Mind you that is technology completely removed from current scientific thought .

[edit on 3-3-2009 by TrueBrit]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Dyson Sphere's are still the stuff of Star Trek as far as I'm concerned. Nice idea but I'd like to see someone make one! lol!

[edit on 1/3/09 by InfaRedMan]

Short of 'Food replicators' and 'Warp Drive Technology', we are living in an age where most of the tech from good ol Star Trek IS actually becoming a reality. Scientists have realized a milestone recently in a step to achieve Mr. Roddenbury's dream of teleportation. 'Phazers' are now a very large possibility, and according to the military channel are in existence now. 'Personal Communicators', ie. Cell phones. Holograms are a reality. We are truly living in amazing times, with these unthinkable advances in technology we've been seeing recently. A Dyson Sphere would be an improbability, but only when you are considering the human race to be the architects of such a device.

The "Stuff of Star Trek" isn't so far off, IMHO.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
All this talk of Dyson spheres being impossible because of material aquisition... Think out side our lil human box for a moment folks. If you are capable of the technical knowlege and man/machine power to attempt to build one, chances are you already know a great way to access materials. Hows this for an idea?

See, the 'Replicators' in Star Trek would come in handy here. If they find that 'God Particle' with the LHC, there's a first step to getting a replicator working, imo. Once you can manipulate/create atoms/sub-atomic atoms, and give them their mass/makeup, the amount of materials needed to construct a dyson sphere becomes nil.

Theoretically speaking, I guess.

Once a civilization reaches these technological levels, one would assume that a dyson sphere would be wholly possible, if not a high probability.

J

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Right, because those ST replicators take energy and convert it into matter (in this case it would be solar energy). So if these nanobots automatically constructing a sphere had some kind of replication device, the process would feed on itsself and the sphere is contructed at an exponential rate.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by FortyTwo]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Well yeah thats one way round it. See the thing is , we here on earth have a lot of handy devices , and ways around things. But thats the key thing isnt it ? Here on earth? We havent got the out of neighborhood expirience to automaticaly imagine the things that might be occuring out there. Imagine if all our collective imagination , were mixed in with the collective information in the brains at Nasa... Jeez we'd be terraforming our whole solar system by next weekend.

More to the point. Dark matter? Hmm. I cant see why that would be evidence of a "type 3" civilisation to be honest. Even if there was a galaxy of the stuff , cant see a reason why that automaticaly means theres a civilisation going on. Course I dont see a reason why there couldnt be but its a bit to firm to call it evidence.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Dark Matter....

should be put in 'quotes'

BECAUSE, it really implies actual mass that is not visible, because it doesn't 'shine'!!!!

Clever people here have postulated 'Dyson's Spheres' encapsulating the stars....implying a HUGE, possibly dead, number of ancient, or maybe active, societies....OK, sounds like a good read....

BUT, in a more simplistic view, the 'dark matter' is just....matter?

IF we, from Earth, can see a nebula, which is really the remnants of a SuperNova....it's likely because there are active Stars shining within, or behind....

In the course of the Universe, trillions of stars have likely exploded, and spewed mass....which is, of course, not 'brilliant' to astronomers.

Our own Galaxy is said to be rotating faster than it should, based on observed 'mass'....that is, visible 'mass'. BUT, we cannot see all of the mass, can we?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join