It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gold and Silver are no Good

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I would just like to point out, that there are many peoples around the Med, ie: Turks, Greeks, Arabs, etc, that spend a lot of their 'spare cash' in gold jewellery such as necklaces, rings, bracelets etc which they store at home.

Because they are 'small' items, these can be exchanged for cash or whatever a lot more readily than gold/silver coins. Also, a point to note is, in these countries, silver just does not cut it and is looked down upon.

In my opinion, gold storage has its place, but, I would not invest too much into it. When you are hungry in a starving world, gold will be worthless, whereas a bag of rice would be worth a small fortune.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
continuiing with the theme from the OP on this thread...

When you are starving and or hungry in a collapsed economy....neither will legal tender cut it or suffice. THe tendency will be to go more to a barter economy. The interesting piece of history seldom spoken about in public schools is that after wars and other conflicts when the government issued currencys are worthless..people began trading in gold, silver, jewelry, watches, cigarettes, alcohol etc...usually commodities which were valuable and portable. These commodities had the ability to hold or store value more than the paper moneys issued by governments.

Many olde timers told me of the people after WW2 in Germany swapping thier jewelry, watchs, etc for food and other staples. Many a GI was running black market goods and had some kind of cigar box full of jewelry, watches, pearls or whatever the Germans would swap and held value for food and other staples which the GIs had in abundance and the Germans had not. Spam in a can was valuable. So was Coffee.
The point here was that the German Moneys were useless after the war..but people themselves determined what would swap and created their own economy...slowly and crudely at first but they determined for what they would swap goods and services when government had no currency of value or stability.

My Father had a German gunsmith convert a German Mauser rifle to an American Caliber and add a telescope, custom stock, and other sporter features such as a double set trigger. The cost for this was twenty dollars American..plus two cartons of Lucky Strike Cigarettes. In the German post war economy and with two cartons of Lucky Strikes and twenty dollars American..this gunsmith was a wealthy man.

People are not that stupid...they will figure it out on thier own. They dont need government to do this for them. In the end..in the long run ...government of intellectuals, wise men, educated men only mess it up and for lucre. History is replete with this happening when government no longer offers stability and a storehouse of value.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Goathief
As another poster has mentioned a lot of the NWO bigwigs are selling off gold at a rapid rate, if that doesn't raise alarm bells then I don't know what will. If gold could be produced very cheaply then people who invested in it will be screwed in a big way - if all the orchestration behind the current crisis is true then they would have foreseen the increased demand for gold and planned for it.

Think about that in earnest.

Well the ppl at the SPAWAR facility in san diego managed to use
liquid palladium oxide to replicate, 100% of the time, the cold
fusion effect.

US Navy SPAWAR facility replicates cold fusion with ease

Further experiment noticed that they had precious metals made
as a by product of fusion.

So in a way there is at least one method on the table to make
an infinite amount of the precious metals.

Not to mention infinite clean power...

Good Luck to you all !

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

What is the cost of the gold they make by this process?? Is it more expensive than gold bought across the counter??

The problem I have heard concerning these processes is that the prescioius metals they produce are more expensive than those dug out of the ground by the time all the costs are figured in. Now if the costs of doing such can be lowered below the dig out of the ground costs ...that might be an inducement to cheapening and selling off gold. An inducement to not hold gold as valuable.

The process of which I know involves bombarding baser metals such as lead and by this changing or altering the atomic structure to that of gold. By baser metals I mean those with cheaper price and already having an atomic structure close to gold.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Gold has 79 protons, and 79 electrons. Mercury has 80 each, and lead has 82 each.

By bombarding similar elements, (like mercury), with high-energy neutrons, through a process called "electron capture", a neutron can enter the nucleus, causing the destruction of a proton, basically creating an atom of gold.

Just the sheer amount of energy needed, even with today's linear accelerators, the probability that any cost effective process of creating gold is about nil.

According to physicists (at George Washington University), a penny's
worth of gold from mercury will take about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.

Don't expect cheap gold to be "stamped" anytime soon.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

yeah...lernmore...was thinking the same though I dont know all the specific details or the specific atomic weights. I do know that the weights need to be close to gold.

However was also thinking that the expense of the process...one would not be able to make cheap gold. Make gold yes...inexpensive gold..no.

That has been the dream of bankers and money lenders for milleniums..how to make cheap money and have it pass for valuable. The problem has always been that when money is cheaply and inexpensively made ...to much of it will be made or issued and the value of moneys ...fall. Moneys will cease to become a storehouse of value, which is exactly what we see happening once again.
Runnaway inflation and massive government spending always cause moneys to lose its purchasing power...its storehouse of value.

This is more difficult in a metalic system using gold, silverl, and copper. These metals have historically caused governments and peoples to have sound fiscal policy and by this ...fiscal dicipline. This because they cannot create this moneys out of nothing a la...paper and electronic accounts.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
silver rings and coins were used by the argentine people a few years back when their banking system collapsed. in fact, i saw a story about it written by a person who lived through it. it was just easier then carrying bartered goods, hoping to find someone to trade with. plus silver rings and coins stayed hidden in your pocket, thieves attacked people that were carrying goods

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

This makes sense to me. People won't immediately turn into cavemen; we recognize the intrinsic value in things like silver and gold and the worth of them in bartering. I may not be able to eat a silver coin, but if I can turn around and give it to you for a loaf of bread, and you turn around and give it to someone else for a canister of coffee, then that's a system that makes sense. It may not be this way at first, but eventually things will stabilize and goods will have monetary value again -- just not in dollars.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidLight
reply to post by jimmyx

This makes sense to me. People won't immediately turn into cavemen; we recognize the intrinsic value in things like silver and gold and the worth of them in bartering. I may not be able to eat a silver coin, but if I can turn around and give it to you for a loaf of bread, and you turn around and give it to someone else for a canister of coffee, then that's a system that makes sense. It may not be this way at first, but eventually things will stabilize and goods will have monetary value again -- just not in dollars.

Agree here Liquid Light,

Notice here that we are talking about a system where the people have or will determine for what, when, and where they will swap for goods and services. This is something determined by the people themselves. Particulary after the government moneys fail...government moneys or what is called legal tender. People will themselves extablish what will be a lawful tender....or lawful moneys.

What is so seldom told to peoples is that a good money system is a system of weights and measures like the measuring spoons or measurinig cups in Mom5 ia's kitchen. We are measuring a real substance..some real stuff against what we are willing to give up our goods and services.

Note that an original Silver dollar ..before 1963/64 was actually a dollar weight of silver or a dollar of silver by weight as it is written in the laws...so to with the Half dollar..it was a half dollar weight of silver and two half dollars in silver 90% fine weighed the same as a one dollar weight of silver 90% fine in newly minted condition. So too with four quarters...ten dimes..and also twenthy half dimes in silver 90% fine.
One silver dollar came to 416/417grains at 90% fine to the dollar weight. Divide by half for the half dollar, by 4 times for the quarter, Ten times for the dime and of course 20 times for the half dime.

What we have here is a system of weights and measures in silver...90% fine. A system in silver of just weights and measures. This measurement system is called dollars and cents. It is a system of weights and measures.
Instead of troy ounces as precious metals are weighed..this new system of weights and measures is called in this country ...dollars and cents.

It is the same in gold 90% fine. There was at one time a 50 dollar gold piece...a twenty , a ten, a five and a one dollar gold piece all 90% fine.
Once again a system of weights and measures in gold. A standard/fixed if you like.
It is called honest or hard money ..and moneys which could not easily be created out of nothing if favor of the issurer.

Nonetheless when the moneys collapse to valuelessness...worthlessness....people will find a real substance for which to trade or swap thier goods and services. That commodity which is the most common yet " swappable" ...and holds value ...a storehouse of value for a long time will become the commonly accepted moneys. This will be determined by the people themselves ...not by government.

The historical tendency of government will be to force thier worthless moneys/legal tender on people for which these people will not be able to replace the materials, goods or services for the same price or price plus a bit of profit. People will eventually stop doing what they do best because they will take a loss with worthless legal tender if they dont.

It is very easy to inflate with paper moneys..or legal tender. This is not so easy with precious metals because they cannot be created easily out of nothing...hence Monetary Stability in favor of the public/people...not the government.

Whatever becomes the most recogizable and swappable will become the new money..not legal tender. Dont let anyone kid you about this.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Not everyday that I can agree with Magicmushroom. So Ill take the chance to partially do that now.

Yes, TEOTWAWKI, food, guns, etc... will far outweigh the value of any metal, well, maybe not lead. However, eventually, people being people, they will again look for "portable property." Gold, silver, trinkets have held this use since the dawn of time. Eventually precious metals will again be used for this as its easier for people to trade a bar of gold than a cow for something.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join