It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Safecontent.net" popup while browsing ats - is it safe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
It starts as a gray box that moves from the left hand side to the center/bottom of the screen, where a colored circle logo comes in and asks you to take a survey.

I'm just wondering if this is something you guys know about/endorse, or if it's more malicious spam stuff.

By the way, I'm using google chrome, and I very rarely get actual popoups, so I figure moderators probably know about it, I just wasn't sure...

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Right after I posted this I got a prompt saying "Whoa, Google chrome has crashed" with restart or cancel options, then a "send error report" prompt, and all my windows closed.

I didn't click on the popup I mentioned above, it disappeared before I could finish looking at it.

This is probably the 20th time or so ats has crashed my stuff, with firefox, IE, and now google chrome.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I have never encountered this pop-up that you are referring to.

And how are you sure that it is ATS crashing you?

You refer to many windows being open; could it not be another site?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
This was the first time I saw the popup, and it was probably less than five minutes before the error.

When I ran firefox and IE, the second I opened up the recent post page the same thing would happen, and I've read stuff from other people with the same problem.
I'm not saying my computer is perfect or doesn't have anything to do with it, but something definitely gets triggered by this site.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
As an experiment, why don't you try viewing ATS with Firefox, if u still have it, but with all the script blockers and ad-blockers turned on, and see what happens. The problems you are having are more likely to have something to do with one or more adds than with the site itself.
And then let us know if it made a difference.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
FWIW, I just got the same ad described while reading an article on CNN Money...

Annoying...

[edit on Thu, Feb 26th 2009 by Djarums]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
As an experiment, why don't you try viewing ATS with Firefox, if u still have it, but with all the script blockers and ad-blockers turned on, and see what happens. The problems you are having are more likely to have something to do with one or more adds than with the site itself.
And then let us know if it made a difference.

Already tried it. I've even reinstalled it three different times and kept getting the same problems. It got to the point where as soon as I open a firefox window, it was already crashing.

I know my computer's messed up, not saying it's all this site's fault, just that it happens most frequently while I'm on here.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

ok, looks like u are in for a major "cleanup" of your computer - probably worth taking the time to download some (or a bunch) of the free software pgms. out there that will scan your computer for adware, malware and whatever else.
Its a never ending battle these days. I swear 1/2 of my processor time is used up by these programs running all the time in the background - thankfully I have been free of viruses tho for a long time. touch wood!

new topics

top topics

join