It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Democrats propose $410B spending bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
You have got to be kidding me?
When are you people, citizens that it, going to say enough is enough?

We have got MSM, Senators, etc. telling us to start taking to the street and protesting.

news.yahoo.com...

WASHINGTON – House Democrats unveiled a $410 billion spending bill on Monday to keep the government running through the end of the fiscal year, setting up the second political struggle over federal funds in less than a month with Republicans.

The measure includes thousands of earmarks, the pet projects favored by lawmakers but often criticized by the public in opinion polls. There was no official total of the bill's earmarks, which accounted for at least $3.8 billion.

The legislation, which includes an increase of roughly 8 percent over spending in the last fiscal year, is expected to clear the House later in the week.

Democrats defended the spending increases, saying they were needed to make up for cuts enacted in recent years or proposed a year ago by then-President George W. Bush in health, education, energy and other programs.

Republicans countered that the spending in the bill far outpaced inflation, and amounted to much higher increases when combined with spending in the stimulus legislation that President Barack Obama signed last week. In a letter to top Democratic leaders, the GOP leadership called for a spending freeze, a step they said would point toward a "new standard of fiscal discipline."

Either way, the bill advanced less than one week after Obama signed the $787 billion economic stimulus bill that all Republicans in Congress opposed except for three moderate GOP senators.

Apart from spending, the legislation provides Democrats in Congress and Obama an opportunity to reverse Bush-era policy on selected issues.

It loosens restrictions on travel to Cuba, as well as the sale of food and medicine to the communist island-nation.

In another change, the legislation bans Mexican-licensed trucks from operating outside commercial zones along the border with the United States. The Teamsters Union, which supported Obama's election last year, hailed the move.

The Bush administration backed a pilot program to permit up to 500 trucks from 100 Mexican motor carriers access to U.S. roads.

The legislation covers programs for numerous Cabinet-level and other agencies, and takes the place of regular annual spending bills that did not pass last year as a result of a deadlock between the Bush administration and the Democratic-controlled Congress.

Congressional expenses are included. The bill provides $500,000 for what is described as a Senate "pilot program" that will defray the cost of mass mail postcards to households notifying them of a nearby town meeting to be attended by any senator.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I say we all got to Wal-mart and buy monoply money and just start using it. Or just start using Buttons. Hell there are alot of old shirts to get buttons.

This Govt. is useless at this point.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by j2000

Aren't you glad to know that the money will be going to things like this?

$1.8 million for Swine Odor and Manure Management Research in Ames, Iowa

Or this?

$2.2 million for the Center for Grape Genetics in Geneva, NY

blogs.abcnews.com...

I'm past being angry. I've moved on to bewilderment.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
About 9000 earmarks to be precise.

"We need earmark reform," Obama said in September during a presidential debate in Oxford, Miss. "And when I'm president, I will go line by line to make sure that we are not spending money unwisely."

www.cleveland.com...

What happened to him making sure that money wasn't being spent unwisely?

The two examples I posted previously don't make for wise spending in my book.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by soldiermom

He is no different than any other. Say what needs to be to get elected.
I can't believe how caught up some people get with this Lawyer clown.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Didn't they just pass a huge spending bill disguised as a stimulus package like ten, eleven days ago?

This is getting beyond ridiculous. :shk:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Yes they did!

And yes it is!

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I wonder if they worked on this bill some in their "fiscal responsibility" meeting yesterday?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Genetic testing of grapes in Geneva???? I live very close to Geneva and had to laugh when I read that one. There is no industry anymore in the finger lakes region so they are now trying to make it the new wine country, but this is ridiculous!!! Manure odor??? Hmm, I lived in a farm area and that is just one unpleasant part of spring in the country. I can remember we kept the windows closed when the farmers put their winters worth of stinking manure on their fields. Are you telling us that the good old government could have spared us that smell.

The things they waste money on are just over the top. I guess now that we speak in billions and trillions just tossing in a few billion is now no big deal. Gee, if billions are a drop in the bucket do you think we could get old Uncle Sam to make a deposit into our accounts.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by j2000

Caught up they are but before too long, they'll see him for what he is. Another tax and spend happy politician.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by redhead57

Farm oder??? I guess they are going to put a filter on a pigs butt.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

At least when the other butt hole, Bush, did it, he created jobs through building the millitary.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

"Fiscal Responsibility" is a oxymoron you know...as is "Military Intelligence"...and that's all I got to say about that...(think Forrest Gump)

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Anybody involved with this massive spending bill saying anything about "fiscal responsibility" is a joke.

It was just a PR stunt.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
When a government is allowed to run free without the strong hand of a population holding the leash the end result is what we have now.

The nations population is bigger and stronger than government but we the people has forgotten through years of been handle crumbs that if is not for the people it will be not government.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by j2000

He is no different than any other. Say what needs to be to get elected.
I can't believe how caught up some people get with this Lawyer clown.

I wouldn't say that he is no different than any other politician. Obama and the democraps in the legislature right now are the most corrupt government this country has ever had. For all the whining and moaning these cretins did over the previous 8 years about Bush and the Republicans they sure are proving themselves to be far far far worse then the other side could ever even hope to be. The worst part about it is they are truly in our faces about it and even smile at us will the are bending us over; not to mention the fact that, with the help of the left wing media, they will get away with it.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
When a government is allowed to run free without the strong hand of a population holding the leash the end result if what we have now.

The nations population is bigger and stronger than government but we the people has forgotten through years of been handle crumbs that if is not for the people it will be not government.

Wow! Someone with some sense!

Thank you for your input.
star for you.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by LiquidMirage

No argument here.

I did notice that the Obama Kool-aid drinkers on here don't come to the defence much in the last week or two. Just the really ignorant ones that will never get it.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Wow, so much for Obama and his wonderful ideas.

Give away trillions of dollars, yet says he's going to half the defecit. Just how are you planning on doing that, you asshat?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Anyone watching Helicopter Ben talking to congress?

When asked if Banks were parking money in Treasurys...he did just like before and side stepped it...this is all pointless...apparently congress has no Idea who their dealing with and every tough question they ask gets the run around and they just blow it off...5 minute rule...right...no real answers to anything...double talk...hold another windbag meeting and waste more time...we really need to call the bankers bluff!!!

you hear that??? The Fed has no Congressional mandate to help with States bonds troubles...The Fed has no congression mandate to exist at all!!!!

[edit on 2/24/2009 by Hx3_1963]

top topics

join