It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians Opinion Wanted

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Is it a disservice to God when we are driven to seem like we know the answer to every problem or question set before us?

I ask this because of my own actions. I have found myself on this board at times feeling like I had to have an answer to every criticism or question posed to me by those that don't believe or want to make Christianity out to be a negative. I remember times in the past when I would search for 30 min on Google for an answer that simply agreed with my previous posts.

Looking back I can see times when I acted proud, stubborn, dishonest and childish. It's embarrassing and I ask for God's and your forgiveness.

I feel that I did a great disservice to God and his teachings by not just saying eight simple and honest words....

I'M NOT SURE but I still have FAITH

Just a passing thought when reviewing my own actions on this board.

Blessings...

[edit on 2/22/2009 by kinglizard]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

I forgive you Kinglizard. I'm searching my soul for the answers too and it's hard to admit when your wrong or just plain ignorant. I'll be the second to admit that I don't know it all and I've spent my life searching for answers. That's why I come here. I want to know what everyone thinks, not just the most popular or Christians, Atheists, Mormons, and on & on. I want to hear the new guy just as much as the seasoned guy. I find myself thinking I know it all. but I think when it all goes down and we see the truth for what it is we will all be ignorant.

Edit to say that I'm not a Christian but I'm not an Atheist either. Don't know if that's worth anything.

[edit on 2/19/2009 by Solarskye]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Yea I agree, I feal the same way KL.

God has taught me many things through grace and suffering, but I still don't know anything.

Like onetime I asked where is corozain and got no answer.

but also on the contrary, it is good to defend the faith from lies and misunderstanding.

peace.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I feel that I did a great disservice to God and his teachings by not just saying eight simple and honest words....

I almost cried reading that. Such is the heart of strength. While I'm not a christian per say, I can still say with all sincerity, God bless you and peace be with you.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Is it a disservice to God when we are driven to seem like we know the answer to every problem or question set before us?

I believe it does when our intentions are based on pride, having to be correct, or 'owning' a critic of Christianity.

On one hand, the New Testament tells us:

Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you with meekness and respect. - I Peter 3:15

When I was new to ATS, my heart was in the right place and that passage was my very first signature. It was very important to me to share the truth, answer questions, and debunk conspiracies against Christianity in love. However, as time went on, I forgot the 'with meekness and respect' segment. Then my heart was no longer right and instead of wanting to help people, it became having to be right and, to be honest, I felt like I eventually became somewhat of a show off. I was no longer answering questions to help but to make the critic feel foolish or to flaunt my own knowledge.

That kind of behavior definitely does a disservice to the faith, I believe. There is nothing wrong with saying we don't know or walking away from an argument that will never end or admitting their question is an aspect that takes faith. I don't recall ever being intentionally dishonest but I definitely had some ego problems and actually laughed at people once they were owned. That was a pretty repulsive attitude on my part and it no doubt displeased God.

It shows strong character that you can admit that, KL. I think most long term Christians on ATS have felt that way at one time or another. It's always good to reflect on our actions.

Although we are to be bold for God according to the Bible, we're also to have a spirit of meekness, humility, and do what we do out of love- not ego. And although we are to have an answer, we're also told to walk away when that answer is not being received. We plant the seeds and they will grow where they will. We can't stomp them into the soil or till a garden out of our own pride.

Very good thread.

Edit to add: Looking back on some of my older posts it honestly makes me cringe. All we can do, though, is learn from that experience, acknowledge our error, and continue to mature in the Spirit.

[edit on 2/19/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Thanks for all the comments!

It's an easy boundary to cross. We can go from from promoting and protecting God's word to promoting and protecting our own ego and pride in defense of the word very quickly. I am more aware of it today than I was but it's a very slippery slope for me personally. I know myself enough to say it can be a problem for me specially on a board like ATS or BTS.

I'm also reminded of casting pearls which is important, but easy to overlook.

I don't know I just thought there is a lesson in my own mistakes that could help someone down the line.

[edit on 2/19/2009 by kinglizard]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I think we all go through phases in this subject. There are times I want to help, times I want to be right, and times when I feel frustrated and don't want to even reply. The main thing to keep in check is your attitude. If you're doing it out of sincerity and honesty, then it's not wrong to want to find the answer that someone is looking for.

In the end however you are correct. There is an element of faith that you can't put down in words. It finally comes down to "I believe" despite the lack of exact evidence.

"I'M NOT SURE but I still have FAITH"

Yes, that's hard to say some times, but ultimately true.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Excellent post KL.

In light of 1 John 1:9i "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." I am guilty as charged on occasion. There are just a lot of really bad, poorly thought out, objections to Christianity posted here and it is really easy to fall into the trap of just mocking them in like kind.

I started picking my battles a little more selectively due to what happened to some of the of the conservative posters I observed here on ATS and this verse.

"He who corrects a scoffer gets shame for himself, And he who rebukes a wicked man only harms himself." Prov 9:7

I don't know if you guys are familiar with Francis Schaeffer, if you're not - you should be. I just finished his book "True Spirituality" and I can not recommend it highly enough. One thing I read the other day in that book is how "love your neighbor" means everyone including the skeptics that provoke me.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

I have an ego that God is still working with me on. I also like to be right hence I have really become conscious lately that if it wasn't for the grace of God I would be one of them too. Before I was saved - I made fun of Christians and the Bible too. Once your eyes are opened by the Holy spirit its hard to believe how blind you were - its like a bad dream. Satanic brainwashing or something - so we need to stand for the truth - yet have some compassion as well. It's a fine line and it is warfare but our weapons are not of the flesh.

Yet all that being said, I think we are charged to fight with ideas and this is the primary text...

2 Cor 10:3-5

For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I know how you feel king. Sometimes I am worry that I am preaching the wrong word. My beliefs are different from others. And sometimes I think I know to much and too little. Sometimes I wunder if I even have the right to speak when i am not always pure.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The bible says that in teaching you learn. Consider what you were doing as part of that process! Just the kind of people we need.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
You can look at my points and see that I'm not a prolific poster, but if you guys only knew how many times I've typed well thought out and researched responses, only to delete them before I hit the "post" button - you would be truly amazed.

I think it's hard to find a balance between saying too much or not saying enough. It's almost like taming my tounge because I need to tell others what is being whispered in my ear, but I don't want to cast my pearls before swine. I wonder which is worse in God's eyes - saying too much or not saying enough? It doesn't matter though, because I'm guilty too, either way.

I forgive you too, hope you will forgive me.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
You need not ask for my forgiveness. I think that it is wonderful that you seek to educate people on the subject. It is obvious that you have a kind spirit and thankfully, God looks into our hearts and He knows that you are good and kind and have the best of intentions! Keep up the good works!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I forgive you KL, now may I ask your forgiveness for me. I too have sometimes posted answers because of pride, or like you said to be right.
It is funny that you have started this thread, because during my time with the Father the last couple days, well he has been letting me know to work on some rough edges.

It is hard to see someone come on ATS or BTS and make fun of Christians and our walk with our Lord. Part of me wants to try so hard to show them why it's real and how sweet the communion with the Father can be. It hurts inside when I can't help them see or understand. I wish so bad for them to know what I/we know and experience. Ashley was right, all we can do is plant the seeds and someone else will water them and someone else will get to see and help it grow. I can be content to plant a few seeds.

Peace to you,
Grandma

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Great question KL, and great answer Ashley D. I struggle with almost the opposite problem. I'll frequently read threads and shake my head and come up with several potential responses. More often than not, I don't bother.

In my opinion, it's almost impossible to do real justice to the topic in the confines of a forum post. If I have a sense that someone is really asking a sincere question, I might provide some input. Frequently, it's someone whose mind is made up and they just want to fight. Frankly, I just don't have the energy for it. And I wonder if that's a mistake. When I think about it, these forums are read by far more lurkers and bystanders than participants and when you reply, you're speaking to many more people than just the ones on the thread. So there's an opportunity to get some info out, even if the person you're replying to is paying no attention.

Are errors of omission as egregious as errors of commission? Beats me. On my best day I'm just groping along. If nobody gets hurt, that's a win.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

# 2 Corinthians 2:10
Anyone whom you forgive, I also forgive. Indeed, what I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, has been for your sake in the presence of Christ,

Mark 11:25
And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses." [Some manuscripts add verse 26: But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father who is in heaven forgive your trespasses]

Nuff Said Brother!!!!

Semper

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I'm so blessed to have such understanding, faithful and intelligent men and women around me. I learn so much from you guys every single day. Thank you....

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Hey there KL

I’m fairly new around here although you may have seen me around.

I forgive you.
I’m not sure what to say about my faith it seems to go through a constant state of flux lol which at time’s I feel I have no control over. To be honest, I think it’s just a constant learning process and that is what is so great about ATS, in that you can have part of the jigsaw piece to a puzzle and like wise someone else can also have another part of that puzzle and this can help your overall understanding of the bigger picture. So in a sense people help each other to grow and move forward in their individual understandings, even when someone is wrong about something, it can actually help to clarify a specific point.

I think on ATS and in real life we all make mistakes but that it takes a brave, humble and wise person to admit when they have done something wrong, which is what you have done here today.

One of my Christian friends (real life) sent me this blessing a few days ago…I hope it cheers you up…

B-egin your day with
L-ove in your heart
E-xpect blessings
S-hare goodness
S-hine like the sun
I-nspire someone
N-ever forget
G-od is with you always
S-mile because God loves you

- JC

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Kinglizard we all fall short of the glory of God. No matter how hard we try to stay on the path of righteousness and grace we will all fall. Ashley had a great answer. When we let the flesh overtake us and start acting on pride. It does a disservice to God. But thankfully we have a great and forgiving God.

As I said we all stray and God willing we find are way back. And those of us that believe We see God everyday. We have been through experiences that has put God right beside us behind us holding us up or carrying us when we could not make it alone. For me that reason alone is why I get worked up and want to have all the answers for myself and not for Gods will. IMHO we all have went through this and may go through it again, hopefully not too many times.

If I can put this in to context for ATS I fell it may help us all.

Psalms 23:4
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me

Ye though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death.
The threads denouncing God’s existence

I will fear no evil.
The disbelievers that do their best to deny him.

For thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
We know he is with us guiding our words and keeping us humble so that we may get his message out.

I am by no means an expert and I know I will never be as long as I walk this earth. IMHO if we look at this verse the way I broke it down it may help keep us humble and selfless as we should be.

Off topic but Ashley your interpretation of Psalms 23 really moved me and I am glad that I heard it and felt blessed after. I would like to thank all of you for reaffirming what I should be doing on these threads thank you.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Well, as usual I have a bit of a different take. I think it's great you spent 30 minutes looking for an answer. Did you learn anything from it in the process?

Pride and such is a bit of a double edge sword. There is a such thing as too little pride, as well as too much pride. I try to think of it like this - are you putting yourself above others? If the answer is yes, then you have too much pride. Are you letting others step all over you? If yes, then you need to take more pride in yourself.

Jesus says to love others as yourself. But if you don't love yourself very much, then how can you truly show and love others? So you have to love yourself in order to love others as yourself. There is nothing wrong with loving yourself, as with pride it is a matter of too much or too little.

I think it is wrong for anyone to deny what god has given them. Do not shrink to others for their comfort, because woe to you when all men think well of you. Shine as bright as you can. Look at what Jesus told and required of his disciples and why. There is a difference between putting yourself above others, and appearing to put yourself above others because they shrink down. Of course, at the same time you can't go forcing things on people. So there is a bit of a balance there as well.

I get accused of pride quite a bit. But I do not see it in the same way, because at the end of the day I honestly do not feel I am better than anyone. I'm just not going to shrink down for the comfort of others is all. I might not agree with them, but that doesn't mean I think I am better than them personally. I speak when I know, say I don't know when I don't or just don't say anything.

I was raised to speak up for yourself, because nobody else is going to do it for you.

Imagine if Jesus had shrunk down for the comfort of others. People will hate you if you are speaking the truth, count on it. Jesus didn't come in peace, meaning he didn't compromise or just go along with things to keep peace. He came to show the truth no matter if they liked it or not. Hardest thing for me is just wiping my feet at the right time.

I'm not familiar with your posts to comment on it too much. But this is an area in general that I find people in confusion over. Too many people put themselves down. Like an overcompensation kind of thing. Just make sure you don't cut yourself short. Gotta know our limits, and go to the line without crossing it. Every step short of that line is not living up to your potential, and every step beyond it is getting a bit carried away. We all find ourselves outside the line from time to time, but that's part of learning where the line is.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   

It's embarrassing and I ask for God's and your forgiveness.

Just a passing thought when reviewing my own actions on this board.

'Knowing' the Father is truth and not knowing the Father is the lie. The first step in coming close to the Father is self-examination and realizing that what you thought you knew wasn't correct after all and that in times past it manifested itself in your life in disservice to God by not loving thy neighbor in whatever 'ways' it comes out of you the person, whether a moderator or just some guy who sits around an apartment eating zingers all day.

Once you catch hold of the true spirit, you will find out just how 'wrong' you have always been and you will be glad it humbled you, for then you will know that you are a true child of God. For God humbles his own children so that one day they may truly 'see' not with two eyes, but with one.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join