It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Race to Find Alien Earths

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Race to Find Alien Earths

cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com

NASA is gearing up for a space race that's expected to point to the first truly Earthlike worlds beyond our solar system - and, like the race to put the first human on the moon, this marathon will take several years to run.

Next month, NASA picks up the pace with the launch of its Kepler satellite, equipped with a planet-seeking telescope that has some advantages over Corot. Astronomers expect Kepler to turn up some true Earthlike planets, in Earthlike orbits, around sunlike stars.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this was post'd already but, I believed it was too good of a news article to pass up.
NASA is planning to discover many "earth" like planets within the next few years thanks to this project.

Possibility that we may have some actual proff of other life out there wether it be simple microbes, creatures, plants or actual intelligent life. I'm pump'd up!

cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
What do you want to bet they know where some of these Earthlike planets are? I'd stake an Obama re-election on it. Another Kennedy looking to put humans among the stars? Looks like history might be repeating itself with this. I wonder what NASA's budget would look like if they found an Earthlike planet within weeks or months of observation time shortly after launch?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I think this is a great project.

One way to detect an Extra-Solar planet is to see the star 'wobble'.

Usually, this means it's a big planet causing the 'wobble'.

Not 'earthlike' of course...but, we're takling about great distances here.....

It's not science fiction....NOT a Hollywood movie, this is REAL science, and should be funded!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I agree. We should definitely be funding space exploration. It is the frontier in which our future survival is guaranteed. They do, however, need a boost in their budget and there are political agendas in Washington against that.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
What do you want to bet they know where some of these Earthlike planets are? I'd stake an Obama re-election on it. Another Kennedy looking to put humans among the stars? Looks like history might be repeating itself with this. I wonder what NASA's budget would look like if they found an Earthlike planet within weeks or months of observation time shortly after launch?

I know what you mean

Being on these boards has made me question(sometimes too much) the type of information governments and agencies put out there.

They are so "certian" that they will find these planets within a few years makes me wonder if they already have found them and are just waiting for permission to reveal their locations... more disclosure of sorts...

Or they just did the math and figure mathmatically they should have something by that time

Either way I find it very interesting and am Very Excited with what the results will be

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Great article. I hope NASA don't time release information or use dangling carrot tactics... like when they need more government funding.

I think this type of plan will succeed in finding ET before SETI does.

For example, I believe in the not too distant future we will be able to refine the the technology to search for particular particles etc on earth-like planets that can be associated 100% with industrialization and so on... not just gases such as methane, oxygen, hydrogen etc.

I'm sure advanced ET civilizations have been able to do the same for a long time. Many people point to the detonation of the A-Bomb as the time when we raised ET's eyebrows and started the modern UFO visitation era.

I think they probably detected us a long, long time before that with the very technologies we are trying to develop today to search for other Earth-like planets... but that's just my spin on things.

IRM

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tevis69

Just in time it seems we are about ready to blow this old one sky high.
It wont help anybody that's presently alive but I'm all for the science.
I'm just as proud as the next American but we really do have more pressing matters to tend to.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Great article. I hope NASA don't time release information or use dangling carrot tactics... like when they need more government funding.

What? You mean like right now?

In any case. Short of The Great Pyramid of Giza cracking open to reveal a stargate inside; or an indigo child transmuting into Dr. Manhattan the chances of anything getting to a "Earth-like" planet in our lifetimes are approximately zero.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
all this is is a plan to find a new planet so the illuminati can take off in there super high tech spaceships and get the heck out before niburu comes.......DUHHH

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Yet another money grabbing/making scam from NASholes who know only to well there is other " Intelligent Life " out there............

6 months into there search they will say .. " ohhh we have found what we believe is life on such and such a planet BUT, we have run out of money.....oh why dont we take it of the American Public like we have always done......sure yea, thats it.....bla bla bla.....same old same old "

The search for life out there.........give me a break NASA

Just sayin....

IP

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Im inline with the thought that NASA probably has some spotted currently...or at least has some suspects. I seem to remember that there have been several headlines mentioning "Earthlike planet found" dadada...

I bet this is a way to get a better look!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
not sure where the article was, will find it but making a placeholder with this post, in the mainstream media 19th FEB 2009 'they' have already found a planet that mirrors earth. . Will find a link. with respect leave me alone until I do locate my verifiable refenence, unless somemeone else can find 28 hours in every as well, and then there will be a co-joining of like souls... appreciate discretion without flames- humbley yours.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by guessing]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Even though the effort is a good one, with all of the planets out there, I somehow believe it will not be an easy task to find another planet like Earth unless, as others have pointed out, they already know where to look.

Even if they find one, what would be the next step, we can't even afford to send a maned mission to our neighbor, Mars for exploration. Another questionm if we sent a probe to one of these earth like planets, depending on how far it is, it could take many years to get there, and if it is not shot down by the military of that planet, would we get any dat back from it' or would we have to set up a sort of network of relays as it goes to the planet to ensure we would be able to recieve data about the planet?

Just a few thought on this.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
its really news we have all heard before heres the links.....

astrobio.net...

future prediction article.. mainstream...

www.guardian.co.uk...

older pre article asetting the stage

www.youtube.com...

it is intersting how each report realtes to a particular demographic

setiathome.berkeley.edu...

From the land of the stingy things

www.sydneyobservatory.com.au...

please not the comment by hbryne on 02/03/09. this is relevant

digg.com...

mass media "cough"

www.newscientist.com...

Finally my thouhgts evolved and does it really mattr if another "earth like planet really does exist? i love my wife and daughter and have little time for meeting these other "potentials". if indeed they really can communicate on our known earthly intellect!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Well you can call me mad, crazy, dumb or whatever... But I agree to the theory that aliens are here living on our planet. Yes - I know not the most popular idea ever expressed.

Anyway I believe that there are trans dimensional reptilians and grays controlling humanity behind the scenes. They are planning to take power through Illuminati, The Brotherhood.

And they are also main brain behind this project. But the case is that I don't see a point in searching earth like planets if that in what I believe is true.

Well of course if it isn't and we have been living on the earth and evolved like Darvin says we did. Then this is brilliant project.

But as I believe that we humans aren't just evolved Apes... and that the ancient people didn't talk of gods because they were on drugs or they wanted just to # with future people brain. I think the proof is pretty big if you look into ancient texts that there were indeed aliens that came to Earth and turned Homo Erectus into Homo Sapiens by crossing their genes with ours.

But hell... I am not sure of that whether this opinion or the most popular one that we are alone now. And we haven't contacted with aliens is true.

I think this project is like searching for your glasses when you have them on your eyes but you don't know it. Aliens are on earth but majority does not know it.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by tevis69

The world is in a recession and these idiots are out blowing loads of money on space junk. How about cleaning up the upper atmosphere? NASA has more than likely already accounted for these worlds. They more than likely have been conducting exploratory programs for many years now. This is just another one of those empty boxes were presented. It's nicely wrapped and has a big bow on top. Surprise!!! I could of bought something far better. Take it back. Bring your gift receipt. It's a simple process that's made for our convenience and one we do not need to support. Shut NASA down right now! Dismantle it and send it to the recycling plant. These people are getting paid to play around with remote control vehicles taking video and pictures of rocks. That junk is not even worth that much. Aluminum foil and balsa wood. Good act but no cigar. Where the hell is our electric car? How about we just kick the staff out from the old man and laugh when he falls?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tevis69

So it has NOTHING to do with the planet x that is racing towards our Earth that will mess up the magnetic fields.......

Even though Nasa saw plant x in 1983.....and have had plenty of warning!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
It's about time we finally start to seek aliens instead of telling the public that they don't exist. The government should use their funds to establish contact with another sentient race. Hey, we found water on Mars, there's hope yet.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Well that's great news.

But let me guess.. the mission will take place in 2025?!

NASA = drip.. drip.. drip

top topics

<<   2 >>

join