It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US troop buildup in Afghanistan could be a defining moment

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66

Originally posted by stevegmu

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by munkey66

Could you please point me in a direction that says the US has kicked serious butt in the last 50 years and then went home.

Ever hear of the Gulf War?

Which Gulf war was that?
Was this the same Iraq that had just finnished an 8 year war with Iran?
The one that still left Suddam in power?

generally speaking, if you win a war you don't have to go back again in 10 years to do it again.

You may want to do a little research concerning the Gulf War. Our mission was to free Kuwait from the Iraqi invasion, and decimate Iraq's armour. Both were handily accomplished. Removing S. Hussein wasn't a goal.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

Good point!
I guess unless we walk out of the place leaving it in complete ashes people wont think that we kicked rear or won a war.
Sometimes I do think we should do just that.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   

and why was it up to the US to come to the aid of Kuwait?
where were the US when the Kurds where being killed off?

where is the US when the people of Darfur are being killed off.

This is not about winning wars, it is about politics, Iran was there to help the US in Iraq until they got a slap in the face.

No one has won any war, they are not meant to win wars.
If the taliban threw up their hands tomorrow the US would quickly have to find a new enemy in the region.
This is about money and control, not about terrorists.

And the reason Suddam wasn't taken out of power in Iraq during the Gulf war was because he said he would co operate, he then upset them and started selling oil for euros which caused him to some how get WMD's and a threat to the west.

put any spin on it what you want.
Bottom line is that war is business and it is a business that the US policy makers like, they are good at it and very good at making it last a long time.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Just for the record,
The US didnt win the war in Iraq.
The sectarian war, the civil war, what ever you want to call it.
What happened was, the Iranian backed shiites, sent death letters to every sunni in the baghdad area, advising the to leave, or be killed.

Majority fled to the outlying area's, while the ones that stayed were tortured, executed and dumped in mass graves.

The surge, didnt do anything.
By the time the surge entered the fray, the Shiites had already pushed so many sunni's out of baghdad, that there wasnt many left to kill or battle with, thus the civil war died down.

Iraq no longer exists, There are brocken states in Iraq, Kurish, Sunni and Iranian backed Shiite.

Id be very worried if I was an American solider in Iraq, one wrong move against Iran, by Israel and or the US, and you'll see all those Iranian backed Shiites that took baghdad, turn all there hate, and all those weapons theyve been stocking for the past, 2 years against the US Forces.

The US has basically allowed itself in baghdad to be silenty surrounded by Iran.

Its a very bad situation, and this is why Iran are blatantly spitting in the face of Israel and the US.
Because Iran know, to be defeated, US and Israel must use Nuclear arms, and until they do, America, and Israel will be hit jus as hard as Iran will.
And Iran knows the world will not sit by, as Israel/US drop nuclear weapons on Iran, especially after the haneous lies which led to the occupation and rape of Iraq.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Thanks for your version of the events
Noted. I guess next you're going to tell us that Iran found the cure for the common cold.

[edit on 18-2-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   

and why was it up to the US to come to the aid of Kuwait?
where were the US when the Kurds where being killed off?

where is the US when the people of Darfur are being killed off.

This is not about winning wars, it is about politics, Iran was there to help the US in Iraq until they got a slap in the face.

No one has won any war, they are not meant to win wars.
If the taliban threw up their hands tomorrow the US would quickly have to find a new enemy in the region.
This is about money and control, not about terrorists.

And the reason Suddam wasn't taken out of power in Iraq during the Gulf war was because he said he would co operate, he then upset them and started selling oil for euros which caused him to some how get WMD's and a threat to the west.

put any spin on it what you want.
Bottom line is that war is business and it is a business that the US policy makers like, they are good at it and very good at making it last a long time.

The Gulf War was a UN mission, led by the US.
We had no legal justification to free the Kurds.
Darfur is an African Union problem.
Iran is helping Iraq? What? Wow!
We had no legal justification to take out S. Hussein during the Gulf War, although we thought the Iraqis would do so themselves. The mandate was to free Kuwait.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Because Iran know, to be defeated, US and Israel must use Nuclear arms, and until they do, America, and Israel will be hit jus as hard as Iran will.
And Iran knows the world will not sit by, as Israel/US drop nuclear weapons on Iran, especially after the haneous lies which led to the occupation and rape of Iraq.

We could handily destroy Iran's war machine within 1 week using conventional weapons. A couple carrier fleets and a flight of B-2s would do the trick.
What would the 'world' do, other than berate us on forums? Would H. Chaves or R. Castro turn the tide in Iran's favor?
The Iraqi government has begged us not to leave. How is that an occupation?
Iraq doesn't have anything, except oil. Can you tell me which US oil companies received the sweetheart Iraqi oil deals?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

You dont think Iran are prepared?

You honestly dont think they learnt from Iraq, they taken the assistance from Russia and China, and prepared their defenses, their munitions and their strategies?

You really think that they are dumb enough to just let that happen?

An American backed Iraq, a seemingly endless supply of MEN, armed with American intel and weapons couldnt defeat Iran, infact, after their cowardly attack, they were pushed back.

Irans leadership and military thinkers, are clearly smarter than the US Counterparts.
I mean, they taken baghdad, while you spent all the money and did all the fighting.
They are spitting in the face of Israel and the US on a daily basis, and all they are getting is further support from other nations.
Theyve managed to setup war crimes trials against Israel,
While forcing America to lose its superpower status in Iraq.
They did all this without lifting a finger in comparison.

You think your smart bombs, jets and ships will defeat Iran in a week?

Your dumber than that Iraq who sat in his pill box at the start of the invasion, beliving he could take on the invader.

Thankfully though, I think Israel and the American government are to cowardly to take on Iran any way.

Which is why they have to revert to sending in spooks to do hit and run missions.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

www.guardian.co.uk...

British and US companies win Iraq oil contractsMatthew Weaver guardian.co.uk, Monday 30 June 2008 10.12 BST The Iraqi government is to award a series of key oil contracts to British and US companies later today, fuelling criticism that the Iraq war was largely about oil.

The successful companies are expected to include Shell, BP, Exxon Mobil, Chevron and Total.

Non-Western companies, notably those in Russia, are expected to lose out.

your not honestly saying that US oil companies ARENT receiving sweetheart deals are you?

This same government, that is being hunted and killed by Iraqi militia dont want the Americans to leave, because as soo nas they do, they will be tortured and hung in the town square are called traitors, for collaborating with the US.

This should be obvious to anyone!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Fundly enough, my version of events are documented.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I like Obama a lot more than I thought I would as a republican war monger I enjoy winning wars and I need to win both these wars in A-Stan and I-Raq.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Yeah and Iran will rule the middle east I'm sorry still doesn't fly.
Still not buying it sorry!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   

You dont think Iran are prepared?

You honestly dont think they learnt from Iraq, they taken the assistance from Russia and China, and prepared their defenses, their munitions and their strategies?

You really think that they are dumb enough to just let that happen?

An American backed Iraq, a seemingly endless supply of MEN, armed with American intel and weapons couldnt defeat Iran, infact, after their cowardly attack, they were pushed back.

Irans leadership and military thinkers, are clearly smarter than the US Counterparts.
I mean, they taken baghdad, while you spent all the money and did all the fighting.
They are spitting in the face of Israel and the US on a daily basis, and all they are getting is further support from other nations.
Theyve managed to setup war crimes trials against Israel,
While forcing America to lose its superpower status in Iraq.
They did all this without lifting a finger in comparison.

You think your smart bombs, jets and ships will defeat Iran in a week?

Your dumber than that Iraq who sat in his pill box at the start of the invasion, beliving he could take on the invader.

Thankfully though, I think Israel and the American government are to cowardly to take on Iran any way.

Which is why they have to revert to sending in spooks to do hit and run missions.

I would reply, but don't bother with those who resort to personal insults.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

www.guardian.co.uk...

British and US companies win Iraq oil contractsMatthew Weaver guardian.co.uk, Monday 30 June 2008 10.12 BST The Iraqi government is to award a series of key oil contracts to British and US companies later today, fuelling criticism that the Iraq war was largely about oil.

The successful companies are expected to include Shell, BP, Exxon Mobil, Chevron and Total.

your not honestly saying that US oil companies ARENT receiving sweetheart deals are you?

This same government, that is being hunted and killed by Iraqi militia dont want the Americans to leave, because as soo nas they do, they will be tortured and hung in the town square are called traitors, for collaborating with the US.

No one is getting sweetheart deals, as Iraq is a member of OPEC.

Isn't the democratically elected government of Iraq the voice of the people?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Why don't people understand they kill to get rid of us from their countries (not because "dey haetz uhar freedum" you ignorant fool), yet we send over another 17,000 and build a bunch of permanent bases in Iraq. Does Obama seriously not get this or is this just a political move to satisfy those I was speaking of, the majority in this country. Most likely he's just bought off buy the military contractors and elite in general.

To the guy commenting on Canada's military, I'd say that's a good size for a military of a medium industrial country to be. Big enough to defend itself, not big enough to go around bullying the world with your tax dollars.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by stevegmu

www.guardian.co.uk...

No one is getting sweetheart deals, as Iraq is a member of OPEC.

Isn't the democratically elected government of Iraq the voice of the people?

they are a member again

Many opponents of Gulf War II have thought all along that President Bush's motives must involve oil in some way. It would be silly to suggest that the war has been a secret plot to get Iraq back into OPEC. .
www.slate.com...

Posted Thursday, Sept. 25, 2003,

Iraq started selling oil for euros.
very strange how Iraq was selling oil for euros and then got invaded over somewhat fictitious reasoning
even stranger when you discover that Iran also started selling oil for euros about the same time they became a nuclear threat.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

This could be the notorious "big test" for Obama. Personally I believe the test is (if there really is na explicit test) that it will either be what he will do in Afghanistan or whether or not he will authorize the printing presses to go crazy. Given that he has little to no "power over the press" I'll call it, I suppose the test would be this Afghanistan crazy idea of his. I believe he will chose war over peace but it would be so devestating to us if he does that I just hope it does not happen at all.

Regardless of how bad things are, you can do things that make the situation just a lot worse. More war is definitley one of those things that can be done to make it so much worse.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Aakron

I hear you but the fact is that we are going in whether we get NATO support or not.
I'm reading a report right this very second I'll post a new thread.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join