It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US troop buildup in Afghanistan could be a defining moment

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

US troop buildup in Afghanistan could be a defining moment

www.csmonitor.com

Washington - President Obama's decision to deploy 17,000 additional US troops to Afghanistan may be a defining move that will either reverse the deteriorating situation there or mire the new administration in a war with no foreseeable end.

The president's announcement yesterday answered a months-old request from Gen. David McKiernan, the top US commander in Afghanistan, who is trying to reverse a two-year slide in the battle with Taliban and Al Qaeda insurgents. Last year produced the most US combat fatalities, 155, of any single year of the Afghan war.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Well Ladies and Gentlemen tighten your seat belts we are in for one hell of a ride! The new Great Game is about to begin. The story goes on to say

About 55,000 NATO troops are in Afghanistan now, about half of whom are Americans. The decision expands the total US force by more than 50 percent.

But even more US troops could be on their way. Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, has indicated the Pentagon ultimately may send 30,000 additional troops to Afghanistan in the coming year or so.

"This is the beginning of an almost unending need," says one Pentagon official. Indeed, it is the first prong of a broader effort that will include nonmilitary efforts in Afghanistan and in neighboring Pakistan, the source of much of the insurgency.

www.csmonitor.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-2-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Oh I love this part here

At the same time, the Obama administration still has not settled on a comprehensive strategy for Afghanistan and does not yet know its endgame. That strategy is being debated by senior US military and civilian officials. A decision isn't expected for another two months.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Very defining. It will no doubt be ironic that the guy who blasted the anti-war cry about Iraq could soon be blasted with the same anti-war cry about Afghanistan. Obama better pry that this war doesn't turn into another Vietnam. How long before NATO troops start bailing on us and we become the lonesome dove in Afghanistan?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The New Great Game - Afghanistan

The war for Afghanistan is increasingly being staged from across the Pakistani border. Although Pakistan's government claims to support the US, it is reluctant to take on the Taliban in tribal areas.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Canada is out in 2011, for sure.

Active personnel 65,251[2] (ranked 55th)
Reserve personnel 25,000

That is weak.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Yup
This is going to get much worse before we are going to see the light. The real fight will be on the Pakistani side of the border.
I pointed this out in another thread I posted here. Pakistan Makes a Taliban Truce, Creating a Haven

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I am really beginning to believe that the surge is happening so that we will have troops to replace the NATO force once they start leaving. How long before the Afghans start turning against our mission?

DEFENCE Secretary John Hutton slammed Nato last night for leaving British and US troops to die alone in Afghanistan — as two more Brits were killed.

www.thesun.co.uk...

As President Obama continues in earnest with his promised military “surge” in Afghanistan, which will double the number of American forces on the ground, it was expected that NATO would enhance its commitment to the seven year long military commitment as well. That seems increasingly unlikely.

Indeed, most European leaders have promised at best only meager numbers of additional troops, and many have ruled out sending troops at all.

news.antiwar.com...

Great thread Slayer

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
You can have all the troops you want there, but you still aren't going to be able to enter Pakistan. Unless we want to take the leap and go in to Pakistan, it wont change much.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
This is going to be of no use unless we again take the gloves off and take out their Swat hide out and yes Innocent people are going to die but if they are all held up in a certain area I say take the gloves off.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

That is and has been the problem of our military for a long time. We never take the gloves off. We are more concerned about reaching the hearts and minds of people and what the world will think of us. With Obama wanting to appease the world so they will like us more, I truly feel that those gloves will be glued on. Unfortunately, those glued on gloves will cost many more American lives than if they were to be taken off. Sooner or later the US is going have to give these terrorist a damn good message on why they shouldn't mess with the USA.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

We have wasted so much time, energy, manpower and lives in Iraq when the real war was always in the hills of Afghanistan and now on the Pakistani border area I get confused sometimes we have one report telling us the Taliban are being pushed into Pakistan and then another thread saying the US and NATO are loosing ground in Afghanistan

So what gives?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Let's see. Afghanistan is slightly smaller than Texas. In Texas, we have about 25 million people and have plenty of land left or around us. In Afghanistan, we have a combined force of 50,000 troops (NATO/US) to cover all that land. I can see where the Taliban might have regained land we abandoned and using Pakistan as a command control area. I really don't believe that we are pushing the Taliban back into Pakistan. We just don't have the force to do that especially considering that a part of that 50,000 are not combat troops. They are force support groups.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I think it might be possible to fix Afghanistan to some degree, I doubt we could ever completely solve Afghanistan.

But Pakistan? We couldn't invade Pakistan. So what could we do?

This is what I see happening (not that I really know, but): We will build up troops in Afghanistan and things will get a little better there, but never completely fixed.
We can do some cross border raids in Pakistan the will help a little, only a little.

Then things will get worse and there really isn't much anyone can do about it now, except keep buying some time.

(In my humble opinion, we're all going to need a miracle).

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Afghanistan is just too vast, rugged and harsh to be able to control fully . The Taliban are as strong as ever to the point of where they're attacking our boys in Brigades of more than 250 men. They're attacking outward bases and they're regaining footholds in places where they'd been previously removed.

I'm glad the Americans are sending more men to Afghanistan. This will help but it won't be enough. We need everybody involved to send more men, so we can really push on and try to stabilize the country. I say stabilize because I don't think this conflict will ever be completely won.

The Americans, Canadians and the British are taking the brunt of the Taliban insurgency, this has too stop. If we are to win this war then we need our other allies to start getting more involved in the conflict.

[edit on 18uWednesday09/27/08 by paul76]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
This makes me think of other post's here.

The post about Russia offering to allow over flights of Russia proper, to supply American/NATO troops in Afghanistan.

The post on Pakistan allowing the towel-ban to basicly do as they please in Pakistan.
(like run to Pakistan when Afghanistan is being bombed/overrun.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Without an active deployment, the military industrial complex cannot justify it's never-ending revenue stream. Prior to 9/11 we discovered $2.3 Trillion in funds to the DoD that were of unknown 'disbursement'. That was forgotten, written off, and we moved on to Iraq/Afghanistan. What have we accomplished? Well, they are a lot richer! And as long as there is the unfinishable war on terror, it will continue to bleed this country's wealth.

Do you think anyone is going to challenge that?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by paul76

This will need more than 17.000 Obama mentioned more like 30.000 and that's just for starters also expansion of air assaults in swat

[edit on 18-2-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Well in my other thread link above We will have to go after them in Pakistan there is just no other solution. I hope this doesnt become another Vietnam where they were able to duck across the border and we were not able to follow them

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by xbranscombex

Well that will be just in time for our full withdrawel from Iraq

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join