It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China: How to make the US fall

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I know but most stuff from China is good quality i mean could it made as good anywhere else??

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I strongly disagree with Chinese products being of high quality. Some things may be of similiar quality but many cheap inferior imitations of western products exist.

I believe someone high up in politics (president Clinton perhaps?) entangled the US economy with the Chinese economy.

Walmart definitely would feel the pain of any tariffs since about 10% of all Chinese imports into the USA are for Walmart.

You might have to wear very holy clothes too (with suddenly high tariffs) since almost all of our clothes are going to be made in China very soon it looks like. I read a number of something like 500,000 textile jobs in the carolinas should be lost to China by 2005 with the lifting of quotas on certain textile products. That should just about kill off most of the remaining textile industry in the states. I believe outsourcing is a hot issue.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
I strongly disagree with Chinese products being of high quality. Some things may be of similiar quality but many cheap inferior imitations of western products exist.

Maybe you disagree cos its the truth why do you think Sony products work well? cos the parts are made in China.

[Edited on 15-4-2004 by drunk]

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   

I believe someone high up in politics (president Clinton perhaps?) entangled the US economy with the Chinese economy.

Walmart definitely would feel the pain of any tariffs since about 10% of all Chinese imports into the USA are for Walmart.

You might have to wear very holy clothes too (with suddenly high tariffs) since almost all of our clothes are going to be made in China very soon it looks like. I read a number of something like 500,000 textile jobs in the carolinas should be lost to China by 2005 with the lifting of quotas on certain textile products. That should just about kill off most of the remaining textile industry in the states. I believe outsourcing is a hot issue.

Naaaaa - Clinton just sold nuclear secrets to China.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Unfortunately quality seems to be not the only issue. If a chinese product is similiar to an American or other foreign product but 2 or 3 times less expensive, guess what gets purchased?

If if a product is slightly inferior and gets only half the usage out of a product life, then it still makes sense to buy chinese. I stand by my opinion on quality though that alot of American products are better quality than alot of foreign products made overseas such as in China. I believe that is changing though.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   
O..k not all products from China are top notch like batteries, i bout some batteries witha wierd brand something like Loufong and they batteries only lasted 20 mins max.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

Originally posted by drunk
Dont forget most stuff is now made in Chinese factories

Nike gear, electrical gear etc the ones whoi will suffer will be you cos stuff is made cheap in China.

Remember this - China isn't the only place in the world that has cheap labor. It'd be really easy to convince a host of other countries to take on the jobs providded by American super corporations. Hence why the US will always hold the upper hand

Wrong, the US doesn't hold the upper hand, US corporations hold the upper hand. If the US held the upper hand we wouldn't have companies moving headquarters to Bermuda for tax savings and we wouldn't have 1,000,000 Indian programmers and call center workers taking our jobs. I know, I know, that's another can of worms which we debated a few weeks back about the American worker pricing themselves out of the market.

But my point is that the US government doesn't control the corporations -- that's the cornerstone of laissez-faire economics. Thus the US government does not have the upper hand.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunk

Maybe you disagree cos its the truth why do you think Sony products work well? cos the parts are made in China.

[Edited on 15-4-2004 by drunk]

Drunk, another problem is this:

URL: www.gamemarketwatch.com...

Weapons Grade� Playstation Not Made In China

Over concerns voiced by the United States and Japan, Sony has stopped plans to manufacture the Playstation 2 in China. The reason both countries have asked the corporation to reconsider its plans is that there are concerns that the Playstation 2�s hardware, particularly the DVD capability, could be used by China�s military.
The Playstation 2�s hardware has come under scrutiny before for its power, theorized to be powerful enough to guide missiles. The true danger, according to analysts, is that China may gain access to the chip designs employed by Sony for its console.

Asustek Computer and Acer, two Sony outsourcers, were seeking to build the hardware in Chinese plants. However, for the time being, there will be no Playstation 2 consoles originating from China.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Maybe if America tried working with other countries instead of trying to beat or control them, then there would be a lot less problems. Unfortunately profits always seem more important that quality and humanity. Think how many sweat shops are funded by products designed by American (and other) companies and made by people in "poorer countries". I think a lot of economic problems are a lot closer to home than a lot of people realise.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
1,Chinese Gov negotiated the WTO deal with US before its entry to the organization(It took roughly 20 years.difficult?yes.)

2,Does it against the WTO rules that China takes 'advantage' of its cheap labour?No.
And the situation in China is huge numbers of rural farmers seek jobs in the city,and 100$/month is Well-paid,however,the unemployed rate still stands at around 8%.

3,Does China willing to see the trade dificit soaring between China and US?No,China intend to buy more so-called High-Tech products from US to ease the trade inbalance between two countries,but it was turned down by US. And China itself runs a trade dificit too.

China doesn't need to make US fall,as the Globalization goes more deeper,the relationship between two becomes more closer.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
All of you can say what you will, but it won't change much. China is only getting started...they're still quite young in the international business game, but they're only getting stronger by the minute. Watch for more coming out of there.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Only if the US economy gets so bad and the mega companies start losing billions and then decide to take the shiftless way out and take the blue collar worker for a ride to get as much money as they can before it falls.

Then the public will demand homefront action and wont want to hear about helping other countries when things crash. Example do a stock search for JDSU or Nortel one JDSU pumped up from 6 to 130 a share in a few yrs then crashed to 4, the big boys made millions the money they made was from the investors that didnt know what was happening. IF this happens on a magor scale it wont be pretty.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I may be wrong here but I don't think the real issue has been raised. COST of LIVING in the US!

Imagine trying to live in the US making $3,000 a year. A cheap apartment in a bad neighborhood is $500 a month if you're lucky. That's $6,000 right there so you're # out of luck. Add electricity which normally runs $100 a month. Add in Gas, Water, Sewage and Trash. After all that is paid off, then and only then can you go out and get some FOOD.

So what does that say exactly? Corporations kept raising prices and inflation kept going up. Resources were privatized. Then the corporations say they have to pay us too much money so they go to China for some $0.60 an hour slave labor. Do you get it? Do you see?

The Americans are now used to paying these insane prices that give CORPORATIONS 100-300% profit. So when the CORPORATIONS can make it even cheaper do you think they will lower their prices in America?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join