It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charles Darwin vs. Abraham Lincoln

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

Oh and on the issue of slavery.
Modern slavery thriving in the U.S.
Huh? I thought that was abolished, I must be mistaken.

According to Darwin...the natural theory of selection would bolster ones humanistic belief that to own another as chattle is just well the natural course of things!

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
As above, they’re just not comparable. Both accomplished great things but what factors do you use to weigh the two? Does 1000 freed slaves equal one disease cured as a result of Evolutionary understanding? What?

It really is like asking what is better a potato or a television.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
FYI Lincoln did NOT nor never intend to free the slaves.

link   
reply to post by burntheships

According to Darwin...the natural theory of selection would bolster ones humanistic belief that to own another as chattle is just well the natural course of things!

No, your just making a misdirecting argument. NS is about survivability in regard to mutation and the environment. Slavery only has any remote relevance to anthropology which has nothing to do with evolution or darwinism.

link   
reply to post by Mike_A

I vote potato!

They can power clocks ya know... LOL

however... there may be a reciprocating relationship between the two... Television breeds potatoes...

wow... its late... LOL my creativity is sneaking up on me...

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Yeah but come on without TV there’s nothing worth powering; no good my alarm telling me to get up when there’s nothing good to watch. Really, is this the calibre of members ATS attracts, jeez!

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

Erm.. you forget... most of the time... its like 700 channels of pure crap...

screw TV... watch YOUTUBE!

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

I haven't got enough potatoes to power my computer for long enough.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by nj2day

Originally posted by burntheships
It is a measure of their accomplishments. Lincoln's was greater.
For mankind, and good!

can't compare the two... I think thats what everyone has been telling you all along...

Apples and oranges and all that...

Apples and Oranges? You are rather pathetic in your attempt to say that these two famous men born on the same day in the same year, are not comparable in any way, just because their occupations are different! They are to be measured like any other man. They were peers of age, born under the same zodiac sign (if you believe that crap).

One man's life has been measured by how many he turned away from God...the other will be measured by how many he turned to God!

Rather, it's because the scientist and the politician each touched off a revolution that changed the world.

And by the way...Unitarians and Anglicans are not Christians!

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

Philip j. Fry (Futurama) said. "Man. 7000 channels and only 128 have anything good on." I'm recalling from memory so the numbers would be completely different.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike_A
As above, they’re just not comparable. Both accomplished great things but what factors do you use to weigh the two? Does 1000 freed slaves equal one disease cured as a result of Evolutionary understanding? What?

It really is like asking what is better a potato or a television.

I challenge you to give one verifiable example that Darwin's theory of evolution of natural selection has cured one disease! Please list a source.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   

I challenge you to give one verifiable example that Darwin's theory of evolution of natural selection has cured one disease! Please list a source.

Any treatable genetic disease is an example, extend that onto gene therapy.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by nj2day

It is a measure of their accomplishments. Lincoln's was greater.
For mankind, and good!

can't compare the two... I think thats what everyone has been telling you all along...

Apples and oranges and all that...

Apples and Oranges? You are rather pathetic in your attempt to say that these two famous men born on the same day in the same year, are not comparable in any way, just because their occupations are different! They are to be measured like any other man. They were peers of age, born under the same zodiac sign (if you believe that crap).

One man's life has been measured by how many he turned away from God...the other will be measured by how many he turned to God!

Rather, it's because the scientist and the politician each touched off a revolution that changed the world.

And by the way...Unitarians and Anglicans are not Christians!

You really can't be serious can you? seriously?

wow...

Since mankind has found many ways to circumvent natural selection in our own species... please don't procreate...

its for the good of the species...

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Good Wolf

No, your just making a misdirecting argument. NS is about survivability in regard to mutation and the environment. Slavery only has any remote relevance to anthropology which has nothing to do with evolution or darwinism.

No I am stating my opinion.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   

actually, there's an entire scientific website specifically for doctors and scientists...

The Evolution and Medicine Network

This website is for scientists, scholars and clinicians working at the interface of evolution and medicine. While evolutionary biology has long provided a foundation for studies of antibiotic resistance and population genetics, its contributions to many other areas of medicine are just now being developed. No journal or scientific society yet provides a network for communication and coordination of work in this area. This website is a project undertaken by the evolution and medicine community to create an Evolution and Medicine Network for sharing information.

www.evolutionandmedicine.org...

Go ahead and start reading...

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Then you must be ignorant to what the actual theory of evolution states. It's got nothing philosophical or metaphysical to it saying that one individual is somehow better than any other, from which caste systems and social hierarchies can be constructed, NO! All it effectively says is that an individual (human or not is irrelevant) that is adapted to an environment is going to have more survivability than an individual less adapted to said environment.

Evolution and God are not mutually exclusive, which is why most christians around the world believe in evolution and most people who believe in evolution are christian, or at least so says the Gallup polls.

[edit on 16/2/2009 by Good Wolf]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   

See nj2day and GW’s posts.

But that is not the point, what I was asking is on what terms do you judge these two people’s achievements? Why are Lincoln’s greater than Darwin’s?

If it is how many they have converted to or turned away from God do you have the statistics to back up your conclusion?

Disregarding the significant number of people who believe in both God and evolution I can see how it could be argued that prima facie evolution must turn people away from God. But how on earth does Abraham Lincoln convert people into believers?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Good Wolf

Any treatable genetic disease is an example, extend that onto gene therapy.

[snip] Name a source or get off this thread.

While I am not as jaded as you to take over some ones thread, I still will get a mod. Get lost!

Edited to remove inflammatory comments.
Civility And Decorum Are Required on AboveTopSecret.com

[edit on 16-2-2009 by dbates]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   

see how that works out? if you're stating an opinion, why are you trying to state "according to darwin" when it is most obviously false?

Don't you mean according to what your own personal beliefs are?

I would like to see a quote supporting this statement that natural selection supports slavery... you know... a quote from Darwin, since you suggest that one exists...

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   

nj2day got you the information you aught to look at so you shouldn't get so angry. Such hostility is a sign that you know your premise is getting beaten to a pulp. www.abovetopsecret.com...

You also could always address my other points.

[edit on 16/2/2009 by Good Wolf]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join