It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bang for your buck?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Hi, Sorry if this has been asked before...

But I am looking to use my tax refund for something worthwhile namely Weapons, I am already the proud owner of two Springfield XD pistols one 9mm one 45mm acp, I also own a S&W 500 (which is extremely impractical but fun as hell).

I am getting about 2000 back and I am looking at either buying an assault rifle either an Ar-15 OR and FN PS90.

I have not made up my mind but I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice On what to buy, like i said i have about 2000, would I be better served buying shot guns? or is there a recommended rifle to get? OR should I stockpile ammo for my existing guns, this is all part of my Prep incase SHTF.

Thanks in advance.

[edit on 13-2-2009 by benrl]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I would go for something more reliable/less moving parts....AK47, SKS, something of that nature. With that kind of money you could buy a couple of SKS's and all the ammo you need.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Oh also I am in CA, stricter gun laws, If that helps with the advice, Part of the reason I bought the 500 because when it came out there was talking of CA banning it so I purchased it before anything could go through.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Hard to go wrong with a 12 gauge pump. Mossberg 500 always has nice reviews and plenty of after market customization can be done. But for pure inspiration for those up to no good, there is no other sound as unmistakable as the pump chambering a shell. Not even the rattlesnake can make the same claim.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I'd say definitely go with an AR for sure. Slap a Bullet Button and 10 round mag on that puppy, and you're g2g. It's totally modular, refined, accurate as heck, and you'll never stop finding things to put on it. It's like Legos for big boys.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Ahh just spotted that you live in California, and I'm not familiar with the laws of foreign nations.

Seriously, with the magazine limits, I'm not sure what makes sense for you. But I know that SKS rifles are available in Kali, they are a very effective weapon, and won't cripple your wallet.

I'd strongly suggest stocking up on ammo though, that's what the bringers of light and peace will be going after next. I'm talking thousands of rounds.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Good luck getting an AR. If you want one you need to order it ASAP. Lead times are outrageous. You can still find PS90's, but they're becoming scarce. I think that they'll go the way of the AR with time (long lead times).

The PS90 is good out to maybe 200m. You can accurately hit targets out to 500m with the AR, but its effective range is about 300m.

Ammo for both is expensive. If you're going to get an AR, then spend the money and get one with a 1 in 7" twist chrome lined barrel. That barrel effectively stabilizes 62gr steel-core and 64gr tracer ammo.

You can't go wrong with a good AR.

Anyway, you need to spend the money now and get one of those rifles and lots of ammo.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
In regards to the AK's, they are good rifles also. They are less accurate than the AR, but are cheaper to obtain and are easier to maintain. Ammo is also cheaper for the AK.

I've been shooting AK's and AR's for over 15 years. I've owned many AK's, but I prefer the AR. Most of the horror stories about AR malfunctions were due to magazine issues (specifically the followers). The newer mags, like the MagPul P-Mag are very good. I've had no feed issues with my AR's with mags with the improved followers. BTW, I never had a malfunction with any of my AK's.

If you only have $2000 to spend and you want a rifle just to defend yourself, then go with an AK + ammo. AK's are plenty accurate out to 200m.

top topics

join