It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unidentified object in the night sky. (NOT Venus)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Could it have been a some sort of high-altitude cloud?

That is my thought as well.

It does change its position and shape a bit. Being in Norway, could it be an auroral effect within the ionosphere?

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

The NV device stands for Night Vision. He is using binoculars that have that latticework as a part of their optics, for some reason.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by waveguide3

Originally posted by PauligirlWhere would this comet be in relation to where you were looking?

In the Northern hemisphere, Comet Lulin is still a morning object in Libra with just about naked eye visibility. There's no possibility on Earth that the object seen near Betelgeuse is that comet or any other currently doing the rounds.

WG3.

Ok, thanks. That's what I wanted to know.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
What does the object look like without the NV? That may help to answer the question regarding the possibility of it being a high-altitude cloud.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

That is correct, it's the tubular object, later lenticular that is just below Betelgeuse.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The observation period was longer than what is just in the first clip..all in all it lasted for 30 to 45 minutes and during that time the object basically followed the angular movement of Betelgeuse although at a slightly different pace. A high altitude cloud would hardly follow the movement during all this time.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
-UPDATE-

On request, I earlier filmed Betelgeuse again at about the same position and time and a brighter star (Procyon) aswell in order to rule out that it was an optical anomaly like lens flare.

The new vid can be seen here

media.abovetopsecret.com...

(P.S. The music is better than my shuffling )

And OOPS ...the recording was on 02/14/2009 at 23:43 NOT 02/15/2009 it was just the movie making that took me to 02/15 ..sowwy

[edit on 14/2/09 by icblue]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Thanks for the additional test. The seeing is much better in this one. Limiting magnitude has improved dramatically. As I suspected, the anomoly will be virtually impossible to locate again. Just to eliminate all possible artefacts, I think you should await the Moon and repeat some shots in proximity to the Full Moon. Excellent experiment.

WG3

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
That's in front of and alot closer than Betelgeuse.
To say its near Betelgeuse isn't right, because Betelgeuse is very far away.
This looks to be in between you and Betelgeuse.
We need more zoom.I doubt that's a cloud.Its to far away to be a cloud.
But I guess it could be a pile of dust and space junk.
Who can get more zoom?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I saw the comments on page 2 about commet Lulin and just thought I'd add this information for those that know where to find the 'fixed star' called Spica. Apparently, that's where commet Lulin can be seen. Is Spica anywhere nearby?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Comet Lulin is currently a predawn object in the East for observers in the Northern Hemisphere. It's located in the Libra constellation. The possiblity that this object is Lulin or any other comet, is zero.

WG3

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
i dont know about all of this stuff...but ive been observing Venus lately (i live on the coast of California so i have a very clear view of it over the ocean.

I must tell you it is BRIGHT...as # and getting brighter. I
It was so bright last night it was lighting up condensation in the air giving it that little 'aura' look about it that the full moon often has.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by icblue

That is a comet is it not? Info on Godlikeproductions and astronomy links.

Great pictures.

Keith

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Any more news on this one? I haven't had a chance to look myself as the weather here has been cloudy.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join