It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Can No Longer COMPLAIN! Look at this brave girl.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
How can people say this is truley inspirational?

The girl was born without arms so has never known any different to what she can do.

I know many disabled people who lost limbs through accidents who have accomplished things which where inspirational.

You never miss something that you never had and I for one find this type of story as a form of pity to disabled people.
My best friend throughout my schooling life only had 1 hand yet you would hardly call him disabled, captain of the football team, captain of the cricket team and also was working his way through the ranks in golf.
He never had a handicap, the only ones with the handicap where those who had pitty on him.

this story is inspirational
because both legs are amputated from an accident.
Legless sky diver inspires local students

www.kdhnews.com...

Please don't take what I say as being cold hearted or careless, She has accomplished something that most of us would find difficult even with arms, but we are looking at the story through the eyes of people with arms so we have a bias to reading the story, we imagine ourselves without arms and how hard it would be.
She can brush her hair and do her makeup with her feet that not many able bodied people can do, that is why we see these stories as inspirational.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns

Its amazing, but sometimes something drastic is what it takes to bring out the best in people.

Very true, in a good way too.

If EVERYONE took their bads as inspiration rather than an excuse for grievance, then there are that many more heroes to inspire the rest of us.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Am I the only one that get's annoyed by these "inspirational" stories?

Has she done anything to help anyone else? Has she helped the human race in any way?

I think this lady has some sort of emotional hang-up whereby she feels she needs to do things that one would not normally expect her to be capable of doing, in order to prove a point.

In short, she is in denial of her condition.

Big advances have been and are being made with bionic / prosthetic limbs. Do you think this lady would ever have one implanted? I think she would be afraid to, that it would take her out of her comfort zone.

She goes to extraordinary lengths to prove to herself and others that she is not limited by her condition and that in fact she can do better than "normal" people.

True courage and power comes with acceptance, letting go, not in tricking your brain.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

Thank you! Everything you've just said is quite true, and I can speak about that with first hand knowledge.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MajesticJax

I see this young woman as an inspiration to those that could use the push. She is not brave, as she did not lose something and have to learn to find the strength to replace the use of that which she didn't use.

Her story is great in the fact that it shows that the human spirit will find a way to overcome adversity, no matter the level...

I salute her for her perseverance. She is inspiring to all...

Rgds

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Another thing, why are some of you saying you're not sure it's ok to say she's attractive? Because she's disabled she's not a normal, sexual human being?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Heck, I've seen a kid born with pretzel legs and no parents in China. He put himself on a board and dragged himself around using his arms everyday screaming for his parents.

I don't see how we can no longer "complain" because of this "brave" girl. Her family, apparently, is well economically prepared.

I think Americans in general should not complain about the prices of goods and other nation's problems. That's what I think are the major problems. Truth is, Americans are still getting fed and have shelters, which is good enough for me.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I'm sorry but another person's bad draw in life does not trump my first amendment rights.

Who the @#$@ do you think you are telling me I no longer have my right to free speech?

Vas

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajesticJax
When some of start to feel sorry for ourselves, let's take a look here:

Jessica Cox, 25, earned a license to fly airplanes on October 10, 2008. Jessica also has two black belts in Tae Kwan-Do, a college degree in Psychology, and a thriving career as a motivational speaker.. What doesn't Jessica Cox have? Arms. A bilateral congenital limb deficiency doesn't stop Ms. Cox from achieving and surpassing her goals. From birth on, her feet became her hands. She can drive a car, type 25 words per minute, and fly an airplane using her feet, without any special adaptations. She is the first woman without arms to earn a license to fly.

"I highly encourage people with disabilities to consider flying," Cox said. "It helps reverse the stereotype that people with disabilities are powerless into the belief that they are powerful and capable of setting high goals and achieving them."

Jessica earned her Sport Pilot certificate after training with Able Flight, a North Carolina flight training company that specializes in helping people with disabilities learn to fly. Ms. Cox won an Able Flight scholarship and was able to train with instructor Parrish Traweek free of charge.

GREAT POST.........
ITS NOT ACASE OF WHEN WE ARE FEELING SORRY FOR OURSELVES WE SHOULD THINK OF THIS LADY.....
I IMAGINE THATS THE LAST THING SHE WANT TO BE HEARING...
THE BASIS HERE IS LIKE THEY SAY "MAKE THE MOST OF LIFE U ONLY GET THE ONE CHANCE(so 2 speak) ITS NOT A DRESS REHERSAL"......
I HAVE THE GREATEST OF ADMIRATION AND RESPECT FOR HER

LIVE LIFE TO THE MAX NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE......
Urmmh SHE HAS GOT A GREAT FIGURE I NOTICED,WILL HAVE TO BE HAVING ALOOK INTO THIS TAE KWON-DO,WOULDNT MIND HAVING A FIGURE LIKE HERS.............

NICE TO STUMBLE ACROSS SOMETHING THAT HAS YOU THINKING POSTIVELY ON READING IT..........

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
There is an amazing girl like this in my town. She is 17 and has not arms and no LEGS! All she has in that department are 3 toes on one of her leg stubs adn they're more like fingers. She is the administrative assistant at the forest service office. She answers the phones, helps customers and does the payroll. She does it all! She's a senior in high school, she's on the debate team and in the choir. She's going off to college next year and she wants to be a motivational speaker.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
Heck, I've seen a kid born with pretzel legs and no parents in China. He put himself on a board and dragged himself around using his arms everyday screaming for his parents.

I don't see how we can no longer "complain" because of this "brave" girl. Her family, apparently, is well economically prepared.

I think Americans in general should not complain about the prices of goods and other nation's problems. That's what I think are the major problems. Truth is, Americans are still getting fed and have shelters, which is good enough for me.

The girl that I refer to in my other post - the 17 yr old without arms and legs is economically disadvantaged. Her mom isn't in the picture. She lives with her grandma in a trailer park.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllTiedTogether

I see this young woman as an inspiration to those that could use the push. She is not brave, as she did not lose something and have to learn to find the strength to replace the use of that which she didn't use.

Her story is great in the fact that it shows that the human spirit will find a way to overcome adversity, no matter the level...

I salute her for her perseverance. She is inspiring to all...

MY THOUGHTS ENTIRELY
LIVING LIFE TO THE MAX
IN BELIEVING SHES ACHIEVING WHAT SHE WANTS TO DO IN LIFE

AND SHE IS DOING JUST THAT,I SALUTE HER......
ITS MADE ME HAVE ABIT OF A THINK ABOUT MYSELF TOO.....
FAIR PLAY TO HER...

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoArmsJames
Another thing, why are some of you saying you're not sure it's ok to say she's attractive? Because she's disabled she's not a normal, sexual human being?

How can someone say she's not attractive? Very attractive and seems to have an excellent personality and great self esteem. Would be a wonderful life time companion to anyone.

Rgds

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
We had a guy come to our school with no arms. As a result of that medication(forget what it is called) that they gave in the 60s that caused deformities. He could play the piano, eat, do all sorts of things.

he said that since he didn't have arms to begin with, he automatically started using his feet for everything since birth.

amazing what the human can accomplish.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasilis Azoth
I'm sorry but another person's bad draw in life does not trump my first amendment rights.

Who the @#$@ do you think you are telling me I no longer have my right to free speech?

Vas

WHOS VIOLATING UR FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS

WHO SAID YOU NO LONGER HAVE UR RIGHT 2 FREE SPEECH

awaiting ur reply with intrest...............

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
This story is a very sad commentary is on mankind. People see someone who's different and call it inspirational because they do the same things you and I do. I don't care if you're born that way or had an accident and had your whatevers chopped off. That's no excuse for not living your life. Our society is populated with lazy slackers, so self involved with their own woes that they see someone who is enjoying themselves and think it's special, worth recognition, worth hero worship. It makes me sick really.

I've heard that man is to evolve in the future, beyond anything we can imagine. I find that hard to believe since most can't imagine what they are right now.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ron Paul Girl

Originally posted by die_another_day

The girl that I refer to in my other post - the 17 yr old without arms and legs is economically disadvantaged. Her mom isn't in the picture. She lives with her grandma in a trailer park.

So, you're suggesting that food and shelter is not considered as economically prepared? She got flying lessons and went to college.

How would you classify the 20000 children that die from hunger everyday?

[edit on 2/12/2009 by die_another_day]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I have a syndactly on my left hand. The fingers are way shorter than normal and on top of that im missing some knuckles. I am like ubsessed with video games and I type about 75 words a minute when im trying (no looking at keyboard). When I was born they said I would need a special keyboard and that I would never be able to drive.

Proved them wrong.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

This is pretty nuts, I think I've seen this girl on TV before though, maybe Ripley's, I'm not sure...

But regardless of how internally motivated this girl is I can still complain all I want... Some people just aren't intrinsically motivated and its a hard thing to change and while some rise up and overcome adversity others are pushed down time and time again by the cold world. We're all living under the shadow of Greed and feeding off the scraps of the Elite, some are motivated enough to succeed in that stacked against us type of system, others don't even bother trying...

Its an impressive and inspirational story, especially the black belt, planes these days almost fly themselves but getting a black belt without arms

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join