It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Can No Longer COMPLAIN! Look at this brave girl.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
When some of start to feel sorry for ourselves, let's take a look here:

Jessica Cox, 25, earned a license to fly airplanes on October 10, 2008. Jessica also has two black belts in Tae Kwan-Do, a college degree in Psychology, and a thriving career as a motivational speaker.. What doesn't Jessica Cox have? Arms. A bilateral congenital limb deficiency doesn't stop Ms. Cox from achieving and surpassing her goals. From birth on, her feet became her hands. She can drive a car, type 25 words per minute, and fly an airplane using her feet, without any special adaptations. She is the first woman without arms to earn a license to fly.

"I highly encourage people with disabilities to consider flying," Cox said. "It helps reverse the stereotype that people with disabilities are powerless into the belief that they are powerful and capable of setting high goals and achieving them."

Jessica earned her Sport Pilot certificate after training with Able Flight, a North Carolina flight training company that specializes in helping people with disabilities learn to fly. Ms. Cox won an Able Flight scholarship and was able to train with instructor Parrish Traweek free of charge.

*Note To Mods- I hope this is in the proper cat. Please feel free to move.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Holy #. I am impressed. In fact this is the most impressed I have been for a long time. Good for her absolutely amazing. I did Tae Kwon-Do for 2 years and I struggled against people above blue tag with both my arms.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
When I was in highschool a guy with no arms came to do speak, it was pretty cool. Just like this girl he could do everything we do with our arms, but with his feet.

He explained his awkward encounters at the drive-thru window, when he pulled up - using his feet, then grabbed his bag of food - using his feet.

He ended his presentation playing the piano, and drums, all with his feet. It was neat.

He used to be my hero, until this woman one-upped him and got a pilot license!

Mod Edit: removed offensive term and replaced it with "woman".

[edit on 12-2-2009 by Byrd]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
If everyone could only have a fraction of this girl's spirit think of the things that could be done.

That is an amazing story thank you for sharing.

Inspiration is difficult to find in these times, this young lady's story is quite inspiring.

No we can't complain. Look at what she can do!

And now I admit that I feel silly about complaining about back pain yesterday.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
i really dont know how to go about this in a PC kind of way so im just gonna say it. i think shes HOT!

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I think it's brave.

But what about buttons that are located above you in an airplane?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

HA HA HA!!!! My sentiments EXACTLY, just didn't think there was proper to say it. Thanks for doing it for me!

And the picture of her as a little girl got me right in the heart. She's a spitting image of my Brianna. What an amazing set of parents she must have. What courage. It makes our problems pale in comparison.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

Double Post- Sorry.

[edit on 12/2/09 by MajesticJax]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Well I would hardly call a 25 yr old a "girl", more appropriately "young woman".

I have seen many with disabilities go byond the limits of their impediment and even go byond what they would have done before the disability.

Its amazing, but sometimes something drastic is what it takes to bring out the best in people.

SnF!!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MajesticJax

no problem bro. i never had the patienct to think about PC so i kinda just say whats on my mind.

anywho i think that society can learn a lot from a person like this.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Well I would hardly call a 25 yr old a "girl", more appropriately "young woman".

Touche.

I'm 40 and to me, 25 is very young. But you are correct.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
My God I just could not believe this incrediable young lady. If I wasn't twice her age (still look good though) I would be on my knees begging for her hand in marriage. I am stunned, shocked beyond words. This young lady is absoutely the most beautiful and motivating human I have ever had the honor to witness. Thank you for sharing this and please forgive my stupidty and at times, my big dam mouth. She has humbled me to the bone so words just seem empty.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I wonder with the latest advances that we have these days, that she would even want any devices such as implants to make things easier for her.There was a news program on her recently and I missed it.

www.metacafe.com...

[edit on 12-2-2009 by aleon1018]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
When you don't know what you can't do, there is no limit to what you can do.

Adam Bender--Where There's a Will, There's a Way

Are You Going to Finish Strong?

[edit on 2009/2/12 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by king9072
When I was in highschool a guy with no arms came to do speak, it was pretty cool. Just like this girl he could do everything we do with our arms, but with his feet.

He ended his presentation playing the piano, and drums, all with his feet. It was neat.

When I was like 6 some guy came to my school too, he would show things he could do, like write with his feet, and he would explain how he can drive etc.

Is this a regular thing that happens? what country are you in?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by gaslaugh123
If I wasn't twice her age (still look good though) I would be on my knees begging for her hand in marriage.

If I were you I wouldn't say "can I have your hand in marriage" I don't think that will work out well lol.

Amazing girl, pretty too.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Originally posted by king9072

When I was like 6 some guy came to my school too, he would show things he could do, like write with his feet, and he would explain how he can drive etc.

Is this a regular thing that happens? what country are you in?

Im in BC Canada, and im pretty sure the guy came to our school every year, and as far as I know he probably still visits my old high school.

I think this is a case of people over-coming enormous disabilities, thus they are likely to become motivational speakers, especially for kids... considering kids are so special... and all.. and such... ya.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
This young woman has one heck of a spirit! And just goes to show what a person can do when you set your mind to what you want to do in this life!

She grew up learning how to deal to overcome, and how to make the best of what she had to work with!
This in turn gave her the strenght that most people do not have..
She has proved to herself and everyone else she is not handicapped.
Not in the least bit! She has gone beyond what most would expect from people with 2 arms, and 2 legs..
Not to mention she is also a very good looking young woman!
I wish her the best.. And this is one of those postive stories that I like to see!
She didnt allow others to tell her who she was, and what she could and could not do.. She made the choice!
And that should teach us all a little bit about life!
The only limits are the limits you set for yourself!

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MajesticJax

yeah this girl has truly accomplished a lot ... i once saw a video of her not sure where, but it showed her driving the airplane with her feet ... truly an awe inspiring accomplishment

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
She's probably got money though to, those licenses and everything cost money. Sometimes spirit isn't enough. Imagine if she was born in a ghetto with one parent who was a drug addict, her spirit wouldn't of mattered unless there was a charity but still.

But she did have the option to do it, so thats ^^^^^^ commendable. Pilots license, tae kwon doe, motivational speaker. She's got enough motivation for the rest of us apparently.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join