It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How hard to find SSBN

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I am not an expert on submarine design so I could not tell you about the positioning of fins. I can tell you that the US subs are the best though - I know this simply from their operating record and from people I know who actually would know, such as my father who has worked on them, my uncle who was in the CIA, my dads best friend who was in the US navy ect ect ect. Like I said before - when you can ping your entire enemy sub fleet within less then half a minute without them knowing you were there before hand, I believe that demonstrates the dominance of US subs.

This is not to degrade British or even Russian subs, as both are very good, but in this case it is simply a matter of the bottom line - bottom line is, US subs are top dog.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND
Russian ones are easy to find, so are the Chinese.

Then the French
Then the UK
Finally the US

Good luck finding a US SSBN.

Please back this # up.

I am pretty sick when people just spit random # all over the board.

"The Improved Akula SSN, which went to sea in 1990, soon revealed that the Soviets had surpassed the U.S. Navy in some areas of acoustic quieting--the Improved Akula was quieter than our newest attack submarines, the Improved LOS ANGELES class. Admiral J.M. Boorda, the Chief of Naval Operations, told the House."

Out,
Russian

[Edited on 16-4-2004 by Russian]

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
I am not an expert on submarine design so I could not tell you about the positioning of fins. I can tell you that the US subs are the best though - I know this simply from their operating record and from people I know who actually would know, such as my father who has worked on them, my uncle who was in the CIA, my dads best friend who was in the US navy ect ect ect. Like I said before - when you can ping your entire enemy sub fleet within less then half a minute without them knowing you were there before hand, I believe that demonstrates the dominance of US subs.

This is not to degrade British or even Russian subs, as both are very good, but in this case it is simply a matter of the bottom line - bottom line is, US subs are top dog.

Ok let me tell you something.

If you ping you give your position out first so the enemy will see you first before you get the feedback from your ping. A ping is a short burst of a radio wave. You soot this wave and if an echo comes bak then you got something. But when you ping the sub that is close to you will clearly see where the ping came from. Also pings dont travel a very far distance.

So if the US Navy goes around pinging as you say then so much for the quietness. Everyone in the world will be able to locate them.

Out,
Russian

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Russian

If you ping you give your position out first so the enemy will see you first before you get the feedback from your ping. A ping is a short burst of a radio wave. You soot this wave and if an echo comes bak then you got something. But when you ping the sub that is close to you will clearly see where the ping came from. Also pings dont travel a very far distance.

So if the US Navy goes around pinging as you say then so much for the quietness. Everyone in the world will be able to locate them.

Out,
Russian

Like I said - I'm NOT AN EXPERT, I am going on what I have been told. Please excuse me if my terminolgy is wrong. However - bottom line is, I was told that US subs "targeted" (whatever that entails - i thought you used a ping to do this, but apparently I am wrong) The Russians subs all at the same time during the cold war. I was told this both by people WHO ACTUALLY WERE ON THESE SHIPS and by people IN THE INTEL BUISNESS. For me they are all in a better position to comment on this then anyone here because I know them and they actually do this for a living. I am simply retelling a what I was told by people with actual experience.

If my terminology or technical grasp of how subs work is wrong, I readily admit such as I am not in the Navy, do not read that much about it ect ect.

BTW Russian - aren't Akula class and LA class attack subs?

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:19 AM
link   

BTW Russian - aren't Akula class and LA class attack subs?

Yes they are both SSNs.

Nuclear attack subs.

Out,
Russian

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:59 AM
link   
well then if we are discussing SSNs and not SSBNs wouldn't it be more fair to compare the latest Akula to the latest American SSN, AKA the Sea Wolf????

Now, since you want some backup to claims...

The Ohio class submarines serve the United States Navy as the virtually undetectable undersea launch platforms of intercontinental missiles.

The Ohio class submarine is equipped with eight launchers for the Mk 2 torpedo decoy. Electronic warfare equipment is the WLR- 10 threat warning system and the WLR-8(V) surveillance receiver from GTE of Massachusetts. The WLR-8(V) uses seven YIG tuned and vector tuned superheterodyne receivers to operate from 50MHz up to J-band. An acoustic interception and countermeasures system, AN/WLY-1 from Northrop Grumman, has been developed to provide the submarine with an automatic response against torpedo attack.

The main machinery is the pressure water reactor GE PWR S8G with two turbines providing 60,000hp and driving a single shaft. The submarine is equipped with a 325hp Magnatek auxiliary prop motor. The propulsion provides a speed in excess of 18 knots surfaced and 25 knots submerged.

www.naval-technology.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 06:01 AM
link   
mad man have u ever hear of the perisher course the hardest submarine course in the world
we train captains from all over the world our captains are the best in the world

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Please back this # up.

I am pretty sick when people just spit random # all over the board.

"The Improved Akula SSN, which went to sea in 1990, soon revealed that the Soviets had surpassed the U.S. Navy in some areas of acoustic quieting--the Improved Akula was quieter than our newest attack submarines, the Improved LOS ANGELES class. Admiral J.M. Boorda, the Chief of Naval Operations, told the House."

Out,
Russian

[Edited on 16-4-2004 by Russian]

His exact quote was that they had reached a sound level similar to the Flight I LA's, not the LAI's.

BTW You do know that the only reason that you got the quieter subs was technology that we gave the Japanese who passed it on to you.

[Edited on 16/4/04 by COOL HAND]

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Out,
Russian

Okay, let me tell you something as you obviously do not know how the system works.

When you send a ping, which by the way is a sound wave, the wave goes from you to the target. The target knows he his it when the wave reflects off of him, he can then attempt to localize the direction of the wave. By that time the wave has returned to the source who, using simple geometry, now has a exact location of your sub.

BTW the ping can travel a lot further than you think depending on the water conditions.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 06:37 AM
link   
pinging works both ways

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
pinging works both ways

Only if your sonar is pointed the right way.

US subs almost always ping from behind the target. It allows them to get an exact position off the opponent and does not allow the opponent to use his active sonar.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
i thought that subs had thier sonar all around the boat

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   

i thought that subs had thier sonar all around the boat

No, it has a blind spot towards the rear of the boat called the baffles.

That is why you do a baffle clearing manuever every now and then. To make sure no one is behind you.

Did you ever see "The Hunt for Red October?" They refer to the manuever as a Krazy Ivan.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
aye i knew about the baffles but i thought u meant they had a blind spot like away from the props
got worried for a sec thier
my mate served on 1 of the tridents for a couple of months

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Both Russian and U.S Subs are the the most suffisticated and most quietest SSBN's out there.

The U.S specialize in Nuke counter-attack and fast movement, when the Russians specialize Nuke launch and quiet movement, also the Russians have the largest of the nuclear subs possible, such as the corsque class subs(although there was a major accident with one of the first nuclear subs of that class).

Basically, the Americans first began their nuclear sub program ahead of time and were advancing gradually, and efectively, where as the Soviets, finding out that the Americans were making nuclear subs, they rushed directly into production unaware of the unsafteyness of doing so.

As a result, Russian subs experienced many problems such as the K-19 widowmaker experiencing a leak in the nuclear reactor, all the men that went in died eventually from the radioactive poisoning and althought the sub survived, it was ill prepared for such an event.

But to this day, the subs are built better and stronger, and are alot safer, a huge technological advancment on the Soviet or Russian part.

Shattered OUT...

[Edited on 16-4-2004 by ShatteredSkies]

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
i wonder what the MOD is cooking up in thier labs?
the mod doesnt let very much slip does it

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND

Out,
Russian

Okay, let me tell you something as you obviously do not know how the system works.

When you send a ping, which by the way is a sound wave, the wave goes from you to the target. The target knows he his it when the wave reflects off of him, he can then attempt to localize the direction of the wave. By that time the wave has returned to the source who, using simple geometry, now has a exact location of your sub.

BTW the ping can travel a lot further than you think depending on the water conditions.

Thank you

I thought that is how it works...
this is used to target submarines is it not?

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
yeah ingenius idea
still being locked in one of those tin cans for months would scare anyman/women
still at least now ur safer imagine being in one of those old u boats

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   

mad man have u ever hear of the perisher course the hardest submarine course in the world
we train captains from all over the world our captains are the best in the world

Yes - I am well aware of the extensive training of you captains

It is the subject of much debate is it not? I heard they spend some crazy amount of money to train them like 45 million dollars or something.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
No it is not used to detect other submarines, it is used to signify friendlies of your current position.

Shattered OUT...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join