It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you support a military coup?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I'm reading more and more posts on various sites where people come right out and say the words "revolution" and "civil war," particularly in light of liberal threats to re-impose the censorship ("fairness") doctrine. Despite the fact that liberty-loving Americans own millions and millions of firearms, no revolution is likely to succeed without the cooperation of the military. As our country races toward Marxism, what would be your reaction if you woke up one morning to hear that a military coup had taken place? Most people in the military (with the exception of the "black ops" scoundrels) are genuine patriots, and many are likely very concerned with the direction our country is taking.

I'm not advocating a violent overthrow of the government that used to belong to us. The sacrifice would be enormous, the consequences unfathomable. I'm just opening this up to discussion. I'm genuinely interested in what people think about this possibility. Also, I'm not a government agent. Although let's face it, if I were, I'd lie about it. Anyway, I'm probably opening myself up to an IRS audit or a wiretap or worse. The "truth squads" are welcome to come visit me since I'm about as straight and legal as it gets.

So, thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
No, I would not. Violence begets violence and there is NEVER any winner in any war. It would just mean millions would suffer and die for no reason and the same type of power hungry people would end up ruling anyway (because they are on both sides).

But why now? Bush is gone. Why not 2 years ago – at least it would have made more sense back then…

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I tnink if times get really bad here, our military members will stand along the rest of us. Lets hope this never has to happen. The government would have to be doing more stupid things (they have no clue!) and more than 20 percent of the people would be starving and homeless. Not a plesant thought.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
EVER HEARD THE EXPRESSION, I WOULDNT TOUCH IT WITH A 10 FT POLE???

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I believe if your not willing to die for the sake of freedom and honor of our founding fathers... well you don't deserve to be called American.

I would support the military if they chose to do this.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I was wondering the same thing:

""Service Guarantees Citizenship!"

[edit on 10-2-2009 by SumnerKagan]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by allgoodnamesaretaken

Most people in the military (with the exception of the "black ops" scoundrels) are genuine patriots...

There is NO WAY I'd side with the likes of you who feel he/she can judge other people's patriotism without knowing the person. Judging a book by it's cover is just as wrong as what you say you're fighting against.

The main thing is though that a lot of the people who advocate an uprising of the people against the government in forums like this will never even raise a single finger if it ever does come to fruition.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Violence sometimes is the only way. And to be honest, it seems to be the only thing they understand. Look at the violence we impose onto other countries? Many millions have protested, and not accomplished a thing. Many millions of us have voted, and not accomplished a thing. Many of us have sent calls and e-mails to our representatives, and not accomplished a thing. Really, you remember the bailouts? They had to take their phone systems down in many places because the bailouts prompted too many of us to bombard them.... And the mail? They had to stop reading them, there was so much.

They do not give a damn what we think, because none of the methods we have tried have gotten through to them.

I think many of us are waiting for them to incite violence upon us first. Many Americans have been stockpiling weapons... Which is obvious by the problems getting ammo, when every store you go into says "Sold out". This has been the case eversince Obama won presidency.

When is enough, enough?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
The problem with this post is the third sentence: "As our country races towards Marxism..."

Do you even know what Marxism is? Do you actually believe that Obama and crew are going to abolish capitalism?

Seriously dude, put your guns away and go huff a little more paint with the rest of the morons.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Thanks, chiefbluefeather, for calling the millions of people who identify Obama as a neo-Marxist morons. So much for intelligent discussion.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Dang it! I accidentally flagged my own post AND hit "ignore" regarding chiefbluefeather's post. I've never posted a thread on this site so I'm not used to the rules. Chief, you're welcome to re-post your comment.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by allgoodnamesaretaken

Don't worry, his post is still there. When you ignore someone.... only you cannot see what they type. And for his rude reply, I would ignore his attempt at trolling/baiting, too.

Don't stoop to his level, just ignore it. He could have asked, in a polite way, if he sincerely wanted an answer.... without throwing insults.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Ah! Thanks for the clarification. Very nice of you.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Yes IF it was to RESTORE the constitution.

That means if a government got into power in the US and tried to take away our rights under the constitution it would no longer be a lawful government and the military would have the right with the backing of the people to restore the constitution

When one enlists in the United States Military, active duty or reserve, they take the following oath:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice."

National Guard enlisted members take a similar oath, except they also swear to obey the orders of the Governor of their state.

Officers, upon commission, swear to the following:

"I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter."

You will note for enlisted that "I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic;" comes before "I will obey the orders of the President of the United States"

And the officers has nothing about "I will obey the orders of the President of the United States"

This is so that if the US was invaded and the President surrendered or the country was otherwise taken over by a foreign or domestic group and the constitution was abolished the military would no longer be required to fallow orders of the new power.
They would be free to fight to restore the legal power of the constitution.
and that any surrender by the government would be illegal and non binding to the military.

Would this be a military coup????

example

Would the military fallow orders and go door to door to disarm the population of the US as it would be a violation of the second amendment of the constitution and a unlawful order. this would come under the Posse Comitatus Act making it unconstitutional so any orders would be unconstitutional and unlawful.
en.wikipedia.org...

Would veterans have the right as having taken the same oath be forced to give up the constitution or would they join the military in restoring the constitution.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
What the heck am I seeing here? How the heck can a military dictatorship be constitutional? And you would want them to reinstate the Constitution? How, at the point of a gun? This is beyond stupid. And you guys are the patriots? God help us.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameneter

No military dictatorship.... If I read right, I think the OP was implying having the military help by taking out the current leaders. That is in the Constitution (that they swear to) as a responsibility when government stops representing us.

I don't believe he was talking about military taking over, and being the government. Just making taking out the current gov't that's there....

Did I just read it wrong?

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I never said anything about a military dictatorship.

Only about the military restoring the constitution.
There is bound to be someone that can act as a civilian leader while the military restores order, a group of state governors etc
en.wikipedia.org...

If the United States was hit by a nuclear attack and presidential line of succession was wiped out the military would be in charge anyway till a replacement was found.
and that may take hours to months.

I knew a navy officer that was a base commander that stated that if the US government surrendered to anyone his last act would have been to open the base armory to all military and veterans to arm themselves and to release all military personal to act independently to retake the US.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
the question :

would you support a military coup ?

is utterly meaningless unless you supply context to it , like the nature and policy of the current regieme and the make-up and intent of the coup leaders

for example a hypothetical coup leader who promised to exceute the current government of the republic of ierland , retake ulster by military force and withdraw from the EU would get no where - and only be supported by a few rabid republicans

OTOH - a general who promised to turn the zimbabwe regiem of robert mugabe over to a international war crimes tribunual and instal a caretaker cabinet of respected oposition leaders with a 3 month mandate to run the country till internationaly supervised free elections could be held would get massive support

those extreme examples IMHO show why the question is meaninlrss unless you know who is launching a coup against who , and why AND what thier motives are

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
People: Elections are institutionalized revolutions...that is the beauty and genius of the American system. The 2006 and 2008 elections, for those who disagree with the outcome, are just temporary setbacks. Obama and the Democrats have many many constraints on what they can do, not the least of which (for the members of Congress at least) the need to face the public in two years. A military coup is so antithetical to American ideals that the simple contemplation of such a thing leads one to question whether the contemplator really understands what America is all about. The system is good, trust in it and know that if you don't like the way things are going, find like minded people and use the system to set things aright.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I would object.

I'd have no problem with the enlisted going AWOL for the cause of liberty but I would definitely have a problem with some force other than the people themselves cleaning out Washington.

I wouldnt be surprised if a staged military coup, one which would have many of those chanting D.C. is corrupt cheering for, was the final nail in the coffin of America ushering in absolute totalitarianism.

Frankly anybody calling for some other entity or individual to do something or wanting for a "leader" of any kind or desiring to be a "leader" of any kind makes me suspicious.

No liberty-minded individuals want to be led and none want to lead other people. The leader-follower relationship is not conducive to freedom.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join