It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Images sought for police database

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Images sought for police database

news.bbc.co.uk

People are being asked to donate their images to a police video database that needs to be constantly updated.

Surrey Police said the system is used as part of ID procedure and helps to prove suspects' guilt or innocence.

The spokeswoman said the database currently contained "thousands of images" but it had to be updated constantly in order to keep up with different styles, and to provide choice.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Banish Big Brother: The state's surveillance powers must be curbed, say Lords

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Oh, so now instead of just having your picture taken when you get arrested you can voluntarily submit your ID to the police for their data base....

what on earth is going on.. just what types of public profilers have they got working on their teams..they realise that not everyone is going to be a criminal but they still want everyone on the database so they ask for 'volunteers'.

I cannot see how an innocent persons ID is going to help to prove them guilty or innocent of any crime committed by someone else... it just dont make sense... must be costing millions to process and build as well..

"Keep up with different styles"... I guess that means for the majority of teenagers who have piercings or different hairstyles over a period of months or years.. I guess that they hope for us all to submit every detail of our daily changing lives to be recorded.. this can only be about psychological profiling for future reference than crime reduction...

'Provide choice" !!!! How? Who for? what choice are they talking about? Choice of criminal, choice of innocence? Choice of different 'suspects' for witnesses to look at? Choice of 'top brands' to sell to the highest bidding court?

pure nonsense... I am shocked that such a silly, nonsensical story even made it into the MSM, but then again I am not surprised..it's this type of idiotic thinking that TPTB want us sheeple to follow and believe in..

Just the way it is worded is dumbfounding enough.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-2-2009 by Extralien]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
They probably need those for the automatic face recognition software they use, for example, in soccer stadiums.

I don't know if they are going to get many, even after asking so politely.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Why do you need to have a photo in their database to be proven innocent now? I thought the procedure is innocent until proven guilty.

No, here's what we're going to do Big Brother. We're going to take all those cameras down from public streets that are an infringement on our rights to begin with.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
They probably need those for the automatic face recognition software they use,

Bingo!!!

Think about it..
you have never commited a crime ,but give us an updated picture of yourself..
makes sence to me.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
It's double think and double speach again...right outta 1984...

An almost completely valid Orwellian statement as if it was taken from 1984 directly.

It's astonishing what they are, and have, been trying to flush into our lives.

I know one thing... the queue at the job centre will be much longer than thier queue...

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
So another example of "the citizen" is the criminal tactics.

? - Oh, never mind... More insanity from the UK.

What the hell do they put in your water over there? I swear to god that the whole island has went insane.

Testing ground for a prison such as "escape from New York" maybe?

Criminals are protected and citizens are treated like criminals. None of you trust your law abiding neighbors but fear defending yourselves more than fearing the criminals who cause the problems in the first place. You allow yourselves to be treated like criminals while the real criminals prey on you and you defend the criminals more than you defend those citizens who actually defend themselves against them.

A model of a "police state" in which the citizens are to afraid to even defend themselves and property let alone their "civil rights" from being taken away by their government.

Sorry to generalize "everyone" into the description but a vast majority of people in the UK just seem either insane or naive to me when it comes to the topics of governmental controls, crime, gun / knife / spork control, immigration, domestic policy, etc.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Yikes!!

Completely 'round the bend, I say.

Never, never, never, ever.

Tell you what: set up an image database for cops, that way we will be able to clear the innocent ones much more easily. It'll be for their own protection, promise, cross my heart and hope to die.

Come on, Brits, grow a pair and tell them to shove it!

Again...Yikes! Double yikes!!!

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
everytime you renew your drivers license they take a new photo of you for it, why dont they just use the D/Lic. database thats full of photo's of everyone who drives?

its constantly being updated as people renew their lic.

i am not for this type of thing, however they have the info readily available so why ask for volunteers? its right there on the DMV computers, which is a govt department anyway

[edit on 7/2/09 by Obliv_au]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin

Why do you need to have a photo in their database to be proven innocent now? I thought the procedure is innocent until proven guilty.

your taking it out of context and twisting what they say.
nowhere does it say you need to prove your innocence

"it may prove guilt OR innocent."

if your on false charges it is possible it may prove your innocent, especially if it has just proven someone else guilty of the crime.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Yeah, looks like theyre asking for a sampling to train the algorithms. Kind of like training bayesean email filters etc. Need a large sampling to determine closeness of results.

reply to post by ArMaP

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by visible_villain

Nice pic... a friend of mine at work refers to Cheney as "Lord Vader"

Got a photoshop pic of Cheney inside the vader mask from return of the jedi when Luke removes the masK??

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I agree this is kind of scary yes?

So in years to come when they are basically demanding images be updated if one does not comply you will be automatically targeted as being "guilty of something" seeing as you do not wish to be deemed innocent by providing a picture.

Reminds me of a situation a friends going through regarding a polygraph...it's offered to prove innocence but f refused you are "labeled" guilty even though it's 100% voluntary and non-admissible in court.

the word innocence will be faded out...we'll all be simply guilty or less guilty I suppose. I feel sorry for the English being the guinea pigs for all of this "Big Brother stuff"...it's very bizarre.

I don't imagine North Americans will be too far away from it though. Seems to be the way it's going.

I am surprised they haven't implemented a mandatory picture ID card for people. At least this they could lobby legislation to make it mandatory that it be updated yearly or revoked along with any licenses until it is updated. (shhhhhhh don't mention it to them they might get an idea)

top topics

join