It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FOX news accuses Al Jazeera of biased news!

page: 1

join
share:
TPL

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Today Fox News accused Al Jazeera of being biased in its coverage of Iraq, and of inciting unrest in Iraq.

May I remind you that Fox new itself was under investigation for the very same reasons last year!

www.commondreams.org...

Although later cleared: www.digitalspy.co.uk...

It brings up a question of whos telling the 'true' truth in the current coverage of Iraq. Whos more reliable in the Media, whos not clouded by bias?

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
HAHAHAHAHA!!! Fox news claiming that ANYONE is bias is hilarious.

TPL

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
HAHAHAHAHA!!! Fox news claiming that ANYONE is bias is hilarious.

Exactly!

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
All i can say is that they ALL put their own spin on it. Its up to the individual to gather their news from as many varied sources as possible, and filter out the BS on their own. The truth can usually be found somewhere between the lies/propaganda that passes as news.
Theres an old saying around these parts...
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Did you actually see the story?

FOX News quoted an Iraqi official. Al Jazeera broadcast that this official had resigned from the US backed temp Government in Iraq to protest the US. In reality, he had resigned his office to accept a higher position within the government. The quote that FOX News broadcast was from the Iraqi Official saying how pissed off he was at Al Jazeera and the other Arab station for misrepresenting him.

TPL

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
Did you actually see the story?

FOX News quoted an Iraqi official. Al Jazeera broadcast that this official had resigned from the US backed temp Government in Iraq to protest the US. In reality, he had resigned his office to accept a higher position within the government. The quote that FOX News broadcast was from the Iraqi Official saying how pissed off he was at Al Jazeera and the other Arab station for misrepresenting him.

Yes, but you cannot deny Fox News is biased, thats the point im trying to make.

[Edited on 13-4-2004 by TPL]

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
FOX isn't the only fellas, Reuters, keep running your mouths and not checking those news sources, k?

New Iraq Security Chief Accuses Arab TV of Bias

seekerof

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Perhaps they do have an American bias, however I don't think they are wrong in this case and am glad they did this particular story.

Name any news source that is not biased...

TPL

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Perhaps they do have an American bias, however I don't think they are wrong in this case and am glad they did this particular story.

Name any news source that is not biased...

Euro News, you can only get it in europe i think. All it has is video, and two or three people who tell you the story while it playing, with only the facts. No news desk and no 'personal views'.

www.thebatt.com...

This argues my case.

Fox and the war in Iraq
A year-long study by the University of Maryland's Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA)[7] reported that Americans who relied on the Fox News Channel for their coverage of the Iraq war were the most likely to believe misinformation about the war, whatever their political affiliation may be. Those mistaken facts, the study found, increased viewers' support for the war.

The study found that people who watched Fox News were, in general, convinced of three untrue propositions which supported the Bush war in Iraq:

There is evidence of close pre-war ties between Al-Quaeda and Saddam Hussein (even President Bush admits there is no such evidence)
Troops have found evidence of Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq (the American weapons search team has not found any)
World opinion was in support of the war on Iraq (It was difficult to find any country other than Britain in favor, and even the British population was, in the majority, against the war.)
As the Washington Post reported[8], "The fair and balanced folks at Fox, the survey concludes, were 'the news source whose viewers had the most misperceptions.' Eighty percent of Fox viewers believed at least one of these un-facts; 45 percent believed all three."

As Alternet reported[9], "For each of the three misperceptions, the study found enormous differences between the viewers of Fox, who held the most misperceptions, and NPR/PBS, who held the fewest by far. Eighty percent of Fox viewers were found to hold at least one misperception, compared to 23 percent of NPR/PBS consumers. All the other media fell in between."

In 1998, a Fox station in Tampa, Florida fired investigative reporters Jane Akre and Steve Wilson over a dispute involving their reporting on the Monsanto company's marketing of genetically-engineered bovine growth hormone.[10]

Fox however has a thin skin when it come to criticism of its conservative news content:

In October 2003 the creator of The Simpsons, Matt Groening, revealed that Fox News had threatened to sue Fox Entertainment - which makes the show � over the satirical use of rolling ticker lines on the screen. �Pointless news crawls up 37 per cent... Do Democrats cause cancer? Find out at foxnews.com... Rupert Murdoch: Terrific dancer... Dow down 5,000 points... Study: 92 per cent of Democrats are gay... JFK posthumously joins Republican Party... Oil slicks found to keep seals young, supple...,� read the ticker on the program that sparked the threat. "Fox said they would sue the show and we called their bluff because we didn't think Rupert Murdoch would pay for Fox to sue itself. We got away with it �But now Fox has a new rule that we can't do those little fake news crawls [tickers] on the bottom of the screen in a cartoon because it might confuse the viewers into thinking it's real news," Groening told National Public Radio. Fox denied that it threatened legal action. [11]

Fox has threatened legal action against the Faux News Channel, which sells a parody T-shirt that carries the logo, "Faux News: We Distort, You Comply."[12]

Fox's motto, "fair and balanced," is parodied in satirist Al Franken's book, Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right. Fox responded with a lawsuit that claimed that his use of the phrase "fair and balanced" infringed upon the company's trademark and that photos of Bill O'Reilly should not be used on the cover. [13] U.S. District Judge Denny Chin dismissed the Fox claim: "There are hard cases and there are easy cases. This is an easy case in my view and wholly without merit, both factually and legally ... Parody is a form of artistic expression protected by the First Amendment and the keystone of parody is imitation ...It is ironic that a media company, which should be seeking to protect the First Amendment, is seeking to undermine it by claiming a monopoly on the phrase, 'Fair and Balanced.'," Chin said. [14]
Trumpeting "the capture as ex post validation of the coalition's invasion. Since Sunday December 14, 2003, FNC has been almost one continuous Saddamathon with the now-famous footage of the latex-gloved frisker searching Saddam triumphantly showing on the channel almost every hour on the hour." [15]

www.disinfopedia.org...

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Yes, FoxNews is biased. So is every other media outlet out there, even if they claim to be fair. Let's face it, we all have opinions, and even if we try to hid them, they come through in our use of words reporting stories.

However, that wasn't all the article on Fox was about.

www.foxnews.com...

The article not only talks about Al Jazeera possibly fanning the flames, etc. It also says that it's possible they may be in bed with the terrorists, so to speak.

It often has the first video of hostages, including the Italian security guard who was killed on camera last week. The network also regularly airs footage of roadside bombs going off and other attacks on coalition forces, leading some to wonder if their crews are being tipped off in advance.

It just seems odd that their reporters happen to be the "lucky" ones who are on the scene where a roadside bomb, burried, just happens to be, while a US convoy drives by.

I know many of you hate Fox News because of their bias to the right, and some of you that hate Fox News exort NPR as the final bastion of truth. You know the station, the one who fired a conservative radio host in Michigan for "ideological differences". But to condemn them for a reporter writting an editorial is just deluding yourself. All news agencies are biased, and if we just dismiss their stories as drivel and lies because we see a slant in their reporting, we will have no way to get the news but to go out there and witness it ourselves. Frankly, I don't have the money or ability to be everywhere at once waiting for a story to break, so I will look into stories through many sources. I do have the time to do that, and then form my own opinion after filtering out the bias from all sides.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Jake, the problem is that FOX news is not only not neutral (as none are), but cater to the majority of the population's conservative view. People who do not subscribe to the conservative viewpoint, who believe the left-controlled mainstream media is right on the money see FOX as being VERY biased. Anyone who would even begin to see Al Frankin's writings as anything more than entertainment and actually see it as a parody of a truth is more confused than anyone who doesn't realize that FOX, like all the others, has it bias.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
FOX isn't the only fellas, Reuters, keep running your mouths and not checking those news sources, k?

New Iraq Security Chief Accuses Arab TV of Bias

seekerof

Good one, Seek. You da man!

So, it wasn't actually Foxnews accusing Aljazeera but someone whom they had misrepresented? Oh, I see. Seems that misrepresentation of the facts is a desease thats catching and now ATS members have been infected as well.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Well as far as who's reporting it I really don't care but it's about time someone did. as I've said in the past I think Al-Jazeera not only gets insider terrorist information I think they set up terrorist attacks and participate in them. They run their news like a muslim super-hero network where non-muslim views are the bad guy so violence is acceptable. I wonder how long ti will be until they get on the terrorist funding and organization list.

In my own words: "They refused to air the part of an interview with Bin Laden where he says he is indeed a terrorist. They Lie about events, they get terrorists on film killing people and they slant the story to make it seem like the arab terrorists are the real victims."

More on this topic: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TPL

Then perhaps you picked the wrong example with which to prove your point.

TPL

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TPL

Then perhaps you picked the wrong example with which to prove your point.

I'd be happy if they just dropped the 'Fair and Balanced'
, its probably wouldnt bother me as much if they did.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
There is no "conservative view" ever expressed in the mainstream media...and certainly not by FOX News. A conservative seeks to conserve. All major media in this country are acting as change agents to paint a rosy picture about the desirability of world government, and, conversely, the "old-fashioned-ness" of national sovereignty. All major media in this country is pro-UN, pro-Imperialist, pro-Iraq War, pro-British "special relationship," pro gun control, pro "living breathing Constitution" (i.e. interpretative v. original intent), etc.

They are avidly anti-conservative in every major form of the term that means anything.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
There are only two words I can use as my response to Fox's comments ... Kettle and Black.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
no media in the world, unless it is some kind of a documentary, is objective. fox, cnn, bbc, (reuters), euro news no matter what broadcast...they all have their intentions of shaping your opinion. even when intentionally presenting an objective view, it is becoming subjective. the best to avoid discrepancies is just to watch different broadcasts at the same time and herewith give yourself the possibility ti pick out all the information which you for yourself consider to be essential and correct.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I agree that all are biased...HOWEVER.

Its one thing to present the news with a biased slant..

its quite another to present total fabrications and aid in terrorism to create news.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Spare me the defenses of a group of people that is somehow able to get videotapes from known murderers including footage of actual murders being committed and has no problems protecting and being supportive of those people.

new topics

top topics

join