It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has ATS been hacked again

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I went to the "hacked" FTR site and Geocities (Geo#IES in my opinion) has terminated this member's account. Maybe the folks here at ATS notified them?

IF SO, GOOD JOB.

Some people are just SO DARN INCONSIDERATE.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
ok dont diss hackers they are people too and very smart skilled and talented individuals

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by marckiuy
ok dont diss hackers they are people too and very smart skilled and talented individuals

WHAT!! Where is Skeptic O', Simon...
marckiuy

marckiuy plus DarkG

not that smart...

Darkgov',

Powered by XMB 1.8 Partagium Final SP2
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group � 2002

AboveTop:Board
Based on XMB By Aventure Media & The XMB Group

[Edited on 17-4-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by marckiuy ok dont diss hackers
r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-i-ight... I'll diss loser hackers as much as I like, thank you.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Right, I got taught last night by my mate (who takes computer stuff v. v. seriously) that hackers aren't actually hackers, they're crackers... so the guy who did this is a cracker, not a hacker, a hacker is someone who does it legally, or something...oh ignore my babbling.

But some hackers only test their own security systems etc.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Pure bunk... an attempted by former-hackers turned legit to alter the original meaning of the word, "hacker". I've been involved with computers, networks, and security since before the term "hacker" emerged. The term was indeed coined by groups of people attempting illegal access to computers and computer networks in the 1970's. Only recently has the term "hacking" been applied to legitimate tasks such as altering programming code, server settings, performance optimization, etc. There are plenty of other terms available to describe the tasks and goals where "hacking" is used; computer security, code optimization, performance tuning, performance enhancements... etc. Instead, former "hackers" attempt to improve the perception of the term. Computer hackers... use illicit techniques to seek entry into computer systems and networks for the purpose of damage or financial gain. Computer crackers... use similar techniques (though usually less talented) to seek entry into computer systems and networks for the purpose of mischief, but rarely related to damaging intent or financial gain. Script kiddies... use found, pre-programmed pieces of code that provide entry to computer systems and networks for the purposes of defacement and mischief. The etymology of "computer hacker" is indeed long established as someone with the intent to cause harm. Knowing that... there are dozens of alternate terms available for those who would normally use "hacker" to describe their legitimate activities.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by marckiuy

maybe if they used their skills to benefit others and not just themselves, or if they didn't jack up websites, the world wouldn't see them for the asshats they are.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Some of these aholes, end up working 4 i.t. companies,
through face to face blackmail. MONEY
S.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The Dark Flame...Hi. Why do i get this when i link?
AOL SUPER COOKIE...NOT.

file:///private/tmp/501/TemporaryItems/AOLTemp.html

S.

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 03:30 AM
link   
When I was in High School I took a college course in corprate hacking and security bypass. It was taught so that students could go out and make money from companies that needed to test their security systems from the outside. So not all Hackers are bad. I was a good hacker that helped people make their computer storage and servers more secure. I assure you that I only use my skills for work. I don't get my jollies off of hacking others for fun, although I wish that I had seen the page before it got fixed. -Muzz

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzz I was a good hacker
Then why not call yourself a computer security consultant instead of "good hacker"?

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Because "hacker" sounds more cool.

S.O. doesn't like the term hackers, kiddies & pros, so don't try to defend the use of this word here. Besides, he's older and wiser than most of us here, and knows a damn lot about the whole "hacker" history.

Don't waste your time trying to outsmart him.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by muzz
I was a good hacker

Then why not call yourself a computer security consultant instead of "good hacker"?

Because hacker seems to be the term of choice these days. -Muzz

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Didn't this website start out as some kind of "hacking" website? I remember seeing an early version that said that...anyway, some hackers break into systems and don't deface anything and just notify the admin of the problem, which would be fine for my website if someone did that...but it is still illegal. The two biggest problems of the internet are
1) Hackers/Crackers/Script Kiddies/Virus Writers, whoever...someone who wants to illegally damage someone else's computer. They are all the same.
2) Spammers/Aggressive Advertisers. Now I don't think of opening IE without pop-up blocker running, as almost any website you visit will bombard you with pop-ups, flash ads complete with annoying sounds, etc. And I get tons of spam each day, it annoys the hell out of me. When will advertisers learn that if you have ads that are so annoying, people will never come back to your site or buy your products...a simple banner ad will get my attention much more, and I continue to boycott any site with pop-ups, pop-unders, scripts that install adware, etc. Maybe this belongs in the rant section...

[Edited on 21-4-2004 by Shoktek]

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Spammers are now hackers. I've done a great deal of research on that very subject... some of it surprising. Yes, early in the very beginnings of ATS (around 1998) Simon had a page with some links to hacking info. As it is with all people first getting used to being online and computers in general, an interest in hacking happened. Some people move on and get serious (Simon), others don't and cause problems (hackers).

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Spammers are now hackers. I've done a great deal of research on that very subject... some of it surprising.

Many of them are...most use mass e-mail programs that take advantage of servers running outdated version of sendmail to fake e-mails through other's mail servers...it is easy to do, but the sheer amount that they send puts strain on other's servers and bandwidth, and I suppose it is illegal...I guess if you define "hacking" as gaining any unwanted remote (or physical) access to a host, then yes it is...I have heard talks about more government regulation on spam (and internet advertising in general) to come very soon, as it clogs up bandwidth and costs money..

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
so... did this fool strike again then or what?

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join