It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keep Smoking for the Children - US Congress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Please Note- Congress did not quote that (Its just the Subject)

Today, the House passed a bill that expands the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) by $32.8 billion, thus enacting it into law pending President Obama's signature, which is expected as early as this afternoon. The bill generates the needed revenue by increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 62 cents per pack, from 39 cents to $1.01 per pack. The measure will provide health insurance coverage to 4 million uninsured children.

Read rest of article here

Maybe when I see that .62 cents hit my smokes, I will stop. And hopefully Every Single smoker out there does it to.

...Its unfortunate that they will find something else to tax

[edit on 4-2-2009 by TrainDispatcher]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Yeah with this bill you only need a social security card to get health care. No Id.
Anyone can steel one now and use it for their kids. How nice.
It also includes illegal aliens. Not that I think any one should be turned away, in an emergency, but this just gives people more of an excuse to come here.grrrrr

And as if cigarettes do not cost enough already!

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I heard something about this on the radio. Didn't someone say to fund this, they need something like 24 million new smokers?

And that according to the bill, "Children" are people 30 years old and below???

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Pretty much....children are getting older and older these days.

And, if this is the case (and the $.62 per pack tax is the case), then they can take that $750 million out of the "stimulus package" for smoking cessation programs.

If they keep it in, all they are doing is shooting themselves in the foot (not to mention wasting millions and millions of dollars).

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be great if everyone stopped smoking in protest to the bill

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
just smoke e-cigarettes and get around it. Still get your nicotine, no taxes, no carcinogens, no places they can actually be banned - even on planes!

Stick it back at them, then watch the tobacco farmers ask for the bailout

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
All this law will do is promote more smuggling and a booming black market trade. People will then avoid the excise tax altogether, and the only real winner will be organized crime.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

Gunna agree with you on this one.

Screw this. Worthless addiction anyway. I'd say this bill is just the final motivation to quit for real.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I don't care how much they raise taxes on cigarettes I don't pay any. I make my own cigarettes and only pay about $10 a carton.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
LOL, great title. Works for me. I roll my own for 75 cents a pack.

Google Ed Ward MD for facts of this fascist government.

DrEd

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Fear not, if they have their way rolling tobacco and paper will also be taxed. They wouldn't make such an obvious oversight.

Although smokers are the scourge of society, they're still expected to pay for everyone else's health care. Why not increase the liquor sales tax or create a new illegal immigrant tax?

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I smoke but think the tax increase will help me cut back. For the kids to be able to get good health care, I gladly pay the extra .62 cents. I think it is a brilliant idea.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TrainDispatcher

Not surprising is it? They are putting a bill through to tax sugared soda, thereby forcing people to drink the aspartame poison, causing symptoms of multiple sclerosis, lupus, fibromyalgia, oligodendra gliomas(brain tumor), as well as many other diseases.

There will be other taxes like this shortly. It forces people to decide on the bad and accept it as good.

Soylent Greens is people.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Just wait until GE puts in the smart thermostats, and you are taxed higher when you want your air on higher than the government says is ok, all in the name of global warming or something.

I also roll my own smokes, well my husband does , I can not roll,lol
The regular smokes started getting too much filler and tasted like crap.

Ya know, I think I may quit myself over this.

top topics

join