It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Comeback for Lamarckian Evolution?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

A Comeback for Lamarckian Evolution?

www.technologyreview.com

The effects of an animal's environment during adolescence can be passed down to future offspring, according to two new studies. If applicable to humans, the research, done on rodents, suggests that the impact of both childhood education and early abuse could span generations. The findings provide support for a 200-year-old theory of evolution that has been largely dismissed: Lamarckian evolution, which states that acquired characteristics can be passed on to offspring.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I think we have plenty of surface observations of different ethnicity that support these findings. We call them "stereotypes" and justly discarded as gross generalizations in application to all people of a particular culture... but i do wonder why i see the same reoccurring unique traits/behavior/pursuits among kin in kind. Looks like Jean-Baptiste Lamarck might have been more on target then given credit to.

www.technologyreview.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by The All Seeing I

Great find .

like the article said, if the findings carry over to humans ......

My textbooks are becoming redundant before my eyes.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
This could be supporting evidence for "Monarch Programming"...

Interesting find...

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
very interesting indeed. evidence that humans have genetic memory ? I've always been kinda skeptical of human genetic memory, but if what is in the article can be proven, or some more evidence gathered, I'm going to have to change my mind about it. again very cool article.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
This would explain what we perceive as "instinct" and "intuition".

If we were to draw some parallels between the micro and macro... we can for instance see the solar system in an atom and the human race as a virus. Cells replicate themselves, we reproduce. The data/experience/memory of a cell is passed on through it's transformation/mutation/adaption to the next set of cells. Just replace the word "cell" with "human-being" here and i think we get closer to what is taking place.

[edit on 4-2-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
It is interesting to think that for the most part DNA could have a “memory” that gets passed on to the next generation.

I wonder if this DNA sort of “memory” can be found and “erased”. I am not sure DNA “memory” is a correct term but it certainly seems to make some sense to me that way.

I think I recall reading something about this idea of passing “memory” on before. Who knows maybe some actual memory can be transferred somehow. I would be interested in seeing a larger study on this.

Raist

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Interesting to note:

Jean-Baptiste de Lamarck created and named the terms biology and invertebrate and developed the first comprehensive theory of evolution. But he struggled, and lived his life outside the scientific mainstream and like many of his followers his name became a byword for a discredited theory.

However, Lamarck and his ideas are now being re-evaluated. Author Ross Honeywill presents the history of the Lamarckian view of evolution and its place in contemporary scientific thinking.

Honeywill's interview on ABC Radio Counterpoint (mp3)
and details on his book...
LAMARCK’S EVOLUTION: two centuries of genius and jealousy

[edit on 6-2-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by The All Seeing I

This is just more of the nature versus nurture debate. Obviously, both come into play in reality. We just don't know to what extent both the genetics and the environment impact the development of an organism.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by The All Seeing I

If we were to draw some parallels between the micro and macro... we can for instance see the solar system in an atom and the human race as a virus. Cells replicate themselves, we reproduce. The data/experience/memory of a cell is passed on through it's transformation/mutation/adaption to the next set of cells. Just replace the word "cell" with "human-being" here and i think we get closer to what is taking place.

Man.... I've been saying this for years now. It's good to see it get some cred in the community.

And the micro/macro thing.... That's my mantra right there.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I am reminded of the "Powers of 10"... which accurately reveals our position in relation to/between atom and galaxy. Given what we now know, in making this perspective/awareness possible, i can see why we are now finally catching up with Lamarck's insights.

and here's a great parody by Matt Groening's Simpsons
www.videosift.com...

[edit on 7-2-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Originally posted by The All Seeing I

Man.... I've been saying this for years now. It's good to see it get some cred in the community.

And the micro/macro thing.... That's my mantra right there.

Then you'll appreciate this article:
Could the Universe be a Gigantic Brain Cell?

[edit on 18-2-2009 by The All Seeing I]

new topics

top topics

join