It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sit-X Rationing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I have yet to see a thread here about this, so I thought I'd pose the question.

We have numerous threads about what type of things to stockpile, how to grow food, take game in a myriad of ways, what I havent seen is anyones plan on how to properly ration their stash in a Sit-X.

Granted, the type of emergency will dictate what we do. Being caught in an ice storm and losing power for two weeks when you know order will be restored is a much different problem than TEOTWAWKI.

So I'm wondering what plans if any do you have in regards to your food stocks, how much food you can grow/forage/hunt, and how you will disperse it.

Will you simply eat whatever is frozen and in the fridge first and hope your staples hold you until you can produce your own?

Will you put yourself and family on a rigid ration plan right from the get go?

Will you be able to produce an abundance so you not only refill your pantry but have enough to trade for other goods?

How about you will young children, will you be able to ration your children long term knowing they may need to go to bed hungry once in awhile, or do you choose to let them eat as normal as long as possible while starving yourself?

Thank you in advance for your well thought out replies. One thing I can always count on in this forum.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Gathering meat will be no problem where i live, so that won't be a problem. Veggies on the other hand will be. We have a lot of pine trees so the ground is very acidic. Finding a place to grow is kind of hard. I can survive a lot longer without the vitamins they provide than my kids can, so they will get all of them i can scavenge or grow.

I just won't try to take down a bull Moose like two Utah fish and game officers i just saw on the news. They shot it with a tranquilizer dart and while it was still running tried to tackle it. It's shoulders were at eye level with both officers. Not to bright

[edit on 4-2-2009 by Anuubis]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
At this moment in time only I know how much food I have stocked and I intend to keep it that way. This is sounds selfish but it also gives others plausable deniability. Thing is, in TEOTWAWKI situation you can bet your buttons to Brazil that hoarding will become illegal. The state has shown time again that it does not like independent actions by its citizens and will act accordingly.

What I have in reserve I intend to keep precisely as that. It is my fall back; my worse case scenario and one that I shall use as a last resort.

With that in mind what will I do until then or normality resumes?

I don't have to worry too much about rationing the family. In any case there is no point starving myself at their expense. I've said it time and time again, if I'm not in a position to care for myself how can I expect myself to care for others. I know the concept of well-fed aid workers caring for an African famine-village is galling to some but that's as good a metaphor for now.

I will try to grow my own. It will possibly take on the look of a survivalist garden. This means it won't look like a garden at all. Think of the other thread here where it was suggested making a map of local produce.

I now yield to someone more edumacated...

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Using the winzip food planner I have plus various recipes and a list of our favourite foods I think we can eat fairly well for an absolute mimimum of 3 months, then ona restricted diet for another 3 months.
Naturally priority is given to feeding the children first.

One issue that causes much heated debate in my circle is the members who are already overweight, some of them think they should not have to eat the same as those who are not overweight because the extra stress on them would be unfair.
I think that issue is now resolving itself as the fatties have not been contributing fairly to the groups plans for ages so they are being advised to go elsewhere.

Future candidates will have to demonstrate a very very basic level of fitness, very light stuff such as being able to touch their toes once, walk up a flight of stairs without puffing and panting, being able to stand for 30 minutes, being capable of lifting a few 10 lb bags of potatoes etc, no combbat fitness etc , just being completely average.

Of the adults only those doing full physical work such as farming or guard duties will get a full ration each day when food starts to get short.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal
At this moment in time only I know how much food I have stocked and I intend to keep it that way. This is sounds selfish but it also gives others plausable deniability. Thing is, in TEOTWAWKI situation you can bet your buttons to Brazil that hoarding will become illegal. The state has shown time again that it does not like independent actions by its citizens and will act accordingly.

On that issue I think there is some confusion, up to 911 this government absolutely condemned 100% anyone who "" Hoarded"" food stuff etc as being selfish and greedy and anti social, with an implied threat that if the govt govt found your hoard they would confiscate it. BUT since 912 they did a complete 180 and actively encouraged to build survival kits and supplies to ensure continuity during terrorist crisise. I still think they will try and grab our supplies and possibly even sieze our retreats if they are of high quality. I know for sure this government in the UK and the one that has just left office in the US are and was capable of extremely evil deeds against not only a percieved foreign enemy, but also against its own people. Building up supplies during times of plenty are very wise, grabbing and hoarding openly during times of shortages are folly and probably will attract unwanted attention in your direction.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider

One issue that causes much heated debate in my circle is the members who are already overweight, some of them think they should not have to eat the same as those who are not overweight because the extra stress on them would be unfair.

Thats a good point you bring up NR. With so much of todays society being not just overweight, but obese, how to handle the eating requirements of these people?

Standard rationing for sensible people is one thing, but if you are accustomed to consuming 3-4 thousand calories a day, the drop off would be substantial to switch to a more common 2,000 or less depending on the sit-x level.

Seeing I dont have anyone in my little circle who is overweight, this really never crossed my mind. Kind of like the issue of children. I dont have any nor do my associates.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

[ Kind of like the issue of children. I dont have any nor do my associates.

Yet

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I have something to offer here:

I am significantly overweight, though not morbidly obese. I am a 5'2" tall female and I weigh 175 lbs. However, I am vigorous and strong. I can swing a five pound pick axe for hours on end, dig ditches, cart loads of rocks in a wheelbarrow, hoist heavy loads, and generally work my butt off with the best of them.

Furthermore, I can eat less if I have to. Heck, it'd be a crappy way to achieve my long-desired weight loss, but I'd be glad to see the pounds go. Might be just the motivation I need! I would absolutely NOT expect to eat more than anyone else because I am overweight.

Additionally, there are other assets to be valued besides physical strength. What about medical skills and other kinds of necessary knowledge? What about great artists or people of uncommon genius? Are they disposable because they are not strong? I understand that in a survival situation strength might be a prerequisite for guard duty but if society is ever to be re-established, certain knowledge and skills must be preserved even if they come from a fat/weak person.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by OuttaHere

Im going to guess that those you associate with know your strengths and weaknesses.

Would I turn a hard working female away do to her size or appearance? No, and you would eat the same as everyone else and enjoy the same hardships and victories as the rest as well.

Now, someone five foot two who weighs in at 175 and wont get off the couch for more than bon bons, Ive got news for you and its not real good.

Same philosophy as Jamestown I think, you dont work, you dont eat. Simple as that, especially since its the food I have stocked and learned to grow and hunt. If you have done those things, you really dont need me and could look for safety elsewhere.

As for other character traits. Thats going to be up to each individual group or family. Does your doctor (if you are lucky enough to have one) need to dig outhouses, or are their skills best held in reserve, does an artist or a musician really factor into your long term suvival plans, do they enjoy the same benefits as the person felling trees and tanning hides? Not to me, but to each their own in this regard.

So to answer your question, I think I saw one in there, as far as rationing stocks go, its going to be up to the party with the food and water. They will be the ones who essentially lives and dies, or, who eats well and who has a rumbling stomach. Its up to you to ensure that you have the proper health, skills and desire to provide an asset to your party, be it 2 people or 30.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider
I think that issue is now resolving itself as the fatties have not been contributing fairly to the groups plans for ages so they are being advised to go elsewhere.

I think there's a misconception evident here. The obese people may be hungrier initially, but after a few days their stomaches will shrink in size and the hunger pangs will dissipate. The overly muscular and the excessively thin individuals however will be even hungrier as time passes by since they have fewer body reserves for energy, and typically have higher metabolic rates.

Also, simply because a person is overweight does not automatically make them lazy or non-contributing members. I'm seen many an overweight person that could work most people under the table without breaking a sweat. As they say, looks can be deceptive.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

The scrawny or overly muscular thing is not neccesarily true. I am 5'10" and weigh 230 pounds with very little body fat. I only eat usually twice a day and not very much when i do. I work in demolition so i'm not sitting on my ass all day, but i still don't ingest many calories.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by salchanra

I have some rice stored long term,cool and well sealed, enough for a
cpl of years if it is just me.

I can't live on rice alone, so I have carrot seeds and Amaranth seeds.

I also have lots of snare wire, and know how to make many simple
traps and few not so simple ones( fish traps).

I have some bleach for water purification, some resublimated USP
iodine for same when mobile, and know the SODIS method,
and how to make a simple slow sand filter.

As bad as it sounds I do not really think food is going to be a problem
for me at least.

I have the most common edible plants for this region list, and
I have thousands of seeds that I plan on germinating first then
planting once they are sprouts.

If it is winter I live off stored supplies til spring and time to plant.

Iodine deficiency might be an issue, and salt as well, so come up
with long term plans for that.

Just thought of this issue just now.

We get it now mostly thru iodized salt that is in everything.

Good Luck to you all !

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
reply to post by LLoyd45

The scrawny or overly muscular thing is not neccesarily true. I am 5'10" and weigh 230 pounds with very little body fat. I only eat usually twice a day and not very much when i do. I work in demolition so i'm not sitting on my ass all day, but i still don't ingest many calories.

A person 5'10" @ 230lbs, with a low percentage of body fat, engaging in strenuous labor would require a minimum of 4,200 calories to simply maintain their weight. Of those calories, you'd need about 2,005 of them just to meet your basic energy requirements. That's just sitting around doing absolutely nothing aside from breathing, sleeping, etc.

I'm not calling you a liar by any means, but if you ate fewer calories than the amount stated above, it'd be impossible for you to maintain your current weight.

Calculator

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
That's another thing... when I am eating a calorie restricted diet, my metabolism shifts to starvation mode and I can subsist on 400 calories a day for literally months at a time, with significant caloric output (exercise) and weight loss of 2-3 pounds a week, nearly all fat loss. This is what occurs when the body switches from sugar metabolism to fat metabolism. The key here is that most of the 400 calories must come from protein so as not to lose muscle tissue (including heart muscle). If you have a lot of fat, assuming you can get past the initial hunger pangs and have decent heart health, you can last for a long, long time on very few calories. the same is true for some others who are not fat; it completely depends on the person's metabolism. Access to vitamins is especially important with a very low calorie situation, which is why it is important to have a vitamin stockpile. Fiber is also necessary, even though it has no usable calories, to keep your digestive tract in working order so that when food becomes available again, your bowels still work. Fiber you can usually get anywhere (grass, edible weeds, woody stems from edible trees, etc.) It might not be a bad idea to stock up on psyllium husks (metamucil) in case fiber is in short supply. Also it helps you to feel full - even though it is an artificial fullness; it helps quell hunger pangs.

As for the original question (rationing), I would ration from the very beginning, though as conditions worsened I might have to revise my rationing strategy. Also I might allow splurges on occasion as situations warrant. I would maintain the health and strength of the adults and give the kids what they need to survive and grow, but not necessarily all they want to eat. Naturally if it came down to the last few meals, I would eat less and give the kids what was left.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I'm 6' 160 lbs and friggin ripped. I work heavy construction and trim trees/split wood most days. I also work out/martial arts(not lately though lol) I have always been a small guy with a racing metabelisim and had trouble keeping weight on. Just sitting around on ats all day I need at least 2500 cal to feel like a person. If I'm working, which I think would be a comprable energy expeniture to an "in the woods" survival/sitx situation I know I could easily consume 3500-4000 cal and still not feel like I'm getting enough to eat. To be honest I'm worried I'll wither away eating nothing but reserve type foods. Not to mention 3500-4000 cal per day is an exorburant amout of food in a survival situation....I'm so screwed lol.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Part of the reason i don't ingest much is because when we slow down in the winter my body builds up a small fat layer that i burn off every summer.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mushninja

You sound like a buddy of mine. We trained in MMA and i tried everything to get him to break and maintain the 150 lb mark. But his metabolism was to fast and he couldn't keep the weight on. Just to maintain his 145 lbs he requires about 3500 calories a day. He will have problems with rationing.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Hi,
My name is Tim Elliott, and I am a journalist at The Sydney Morning Herald. I am doing a story on survivalism in Australia, and would like to talk to anyone who is bunkering down and preparing for the worst in the face of peak oil, the GFC, and climate change. I am fascinated with this.
My contact is (02) 9282 1926 or 0419 370 651 or [email protected]

top topics

join