It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your favorite show in syndication?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Since tv seems to get lousier every year, with the exception of one or two shows (House and Fringe for me in particular) I have been following old shows in syndication.

I am a little bitter with the networks. Especially since they squashed a fantastic show like Boston Legal, and insist on dribble, as well as removing other shows with great potential.

I was happy to find Third Rock from the Sun. I forgot how funny this show is, and clever. I think it is a gem. John Lithgow makes this show.

That and M.A.S.H. which I think is still as funny and introspective now as it was in the 70s when it came out.

Of course you also can't go wrong with a a Seinfeild rerun, or even Friends.
More recently, The Sopranos. Which I have a love/hate relationship with.

Are there any oldie but goodies you still follow faithfully?

If you could bring one show back, what would it be?

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I thought you meant first run syndication shows!

My favorites are:

Thriller (Boris Karloff, not the remake)
Outer Limits (again, the original)
Alfred Hitchcock Presents (plus his hour show)
Mission Impossible
Mary Tyler Moore
The Bob Newhart Show
Newhart
The Man from UNCLE
All In the Family (the ones with Meathead, the last season was not funny, and don't get me started on Archie Bunker's Place.)

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Funny thing is that the other day I was thinking that you can't find reruns of the Bob Newhart show. But you must have them in your area.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I loved The Andy Griffin Show. Still watch reruns when I can.

Quantum Leap
Gilligan's Island
Star Trek
Three's Company
The Munsters

I wouldn't want to bring any of them back because that's what makes them great. If one was redone I'd want Quantum Leap but I'd be trying to compare it to the old show and that wouldn't be good.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Oh I forgot Enterprise. Which I didn't watch the first time. And I am always game for Star Trek.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Andy Griffith--as long as Barney is the deputy.
Rosanne--one of the best ensemble casts ever.
Third Rock--wackyness
MASH-- For the Rapid dialog, Henry Blake, and later the Colonel Potterisms
Dick Van Dyke--again, for the rapid dialog
Frasier--for the Anxiety ridden comic genius of Kelsey Grammer, and my crush on Jane Leeves.
Mary Tyler Moore-- another great ensemble cast.

I'll be back for more!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Sanford and Son

Benny Hill

Alf

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Benny Hill is another one I wish they would re-run. I have not seen that in years. I can still hear the quarky music in my head and see them running around. Benny Hill was awesome.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   

The Bob Newhart Show is reran in Chicago (where the show took place) on a new digital offshoot of an Independent channel. Many of your local stations will have more than one channel in the digital range when they switch over. There are several offshoot stations that offer classic reruns just like the old Nick at Nite.

(Congress changed the date, but stations can switch over sooner if they are ready.)

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I dont know if this is considered old, but King of Queens has always been my favorite. Grounded For Life only had about 2 seasons, but thats one that I wish would come back for a 3rd round.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jess_Undefined
I dont know if this is considered old, but King of Queens has always been my favorite. Grounded For Life only had about 2 seasons, but thats one that I wish would come back for a 3rd round.

I love Grounded for Life. Very funny show!
Third Rock from the Sun. Loved it back then and still do.
Malcom in the Middle. Another funny show!
Bernie Mac...Rest in Peace Bernie.
MASH..I can watch this show forever.
That 70's Show...Very funny cast. thumbs up!
Married with Children...One of my fav from the 80's.
Roseann...Kicks butt on the Cosby show any day of the week!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Murder She Wrote

Nothing like an old lady solving crimes and looking sexy while she does it.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

LOL.

I forgot about Malcolm in the Middle and Grounded for Life. I thought that was a good show.

I will never figure out why some shows take and others don't. I thought Grounded was good.

I thought Titus was good, but it did'n't take. I think it hit too close to home for many people.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I watched grounded for life religiously. I cant understand why it didnt take, it was pretty funny.

And Roseanne will NEVER get old for me. I remember watching it as a kid late at night.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

I liked the show "Rosanne", but the final two seasons were very painful to watch. Like other shows, it had run past the five year rule (most sitcoms run out of gas after five years, there are some exceptions to the rule). The first few seasons were classic, and when they start the cycle over, I do watch them.

I am surprised "Grounded For Life" isn't syndicated. It ran for 5 seasons, and has 91 episodes which is enough for stripping the show. It was also produced by the makers of "Rosanne" and "The Cosby Show", so one would have to contact them.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Nothing like an old lady solving crimes and looking sexy while she does it.

I don't know if "sexy" is the right word, hehe...."classy" yes..."sexy"???

I'd like to see Airwolf come back (with Hawke, Dom, Archangel, Gabrielle)... I used to love that show (the original). I still catch it on the retro network now and then...(along with the A-Team, Buck Rogers, etc.). Admittedly, they aren't as good now in retrospect, as they were to me as a kid, but the nostalgia is worth it....

(and you can catch Benny Hill on BBC America, if you have that...)

top topics

join