It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help, I Hate Sports, What's wrong with me?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

The most sensible and practical response to this entire thread. Star 4 U!

OP..who cares what others think. Does your life revolve around others? Are you so concerned about how others feel about what you like and dont like that you have to torture yourself to a point where you have to ask in a conspiracy forum what is wrong with you?

I think that before you go asking what others think is wrong with you, when their opinion should be secondary, you should be able to answer the question yourself. Then go ask others and get a comparison point of view for reference, not as an absolute.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I'm the same way, I also play guitar and write and am very family oriented. The funny thing is that I was a Golf professional for the last 10 years and just recently switched careers to something a little more creative (architecture and drafting) and so far I'm very happy with my decision. Much more creative direction for me anyways. I'm surrounded by creative people and almost no one talks about sports.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I love playing and watching sports, and I have done both my entire life. However, there are some sports which I would much rather watch live, on scene, as opposed to on the Television. Baseball is a great example of this issue, as I almost never watch it on Television, but being at a Live game is extremely fun, and even more so is the act of Playing it.

I also consider Soccer to be a relatively boring game to watch on Television (Football to all of you Brits, Aussies, and other Non-Americans), but I love to Play it. Hockey is about the same as Soccer in my Opinion. It must be the constant drone of Back-and-Forth Play which seems extremely dull to me on Television.

As for my Favorite Sport to watch on Television, that would be Football (American Football). Also, the Olympics are extremely Entertaining on the Tube as well.

As for Golf, there are times I enjoy watching it on Television, especially if I am with a Friend who is really into it, but again, I would much rather be playing it outside on a Nice, Sunny Day.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I'm the same way. I can't stand watching sports, on T.V. or in person. It's a total ego trip. All about control, pride for ones team, and.....it's just so very boring to watch.

I think the same with most of what's on the tele, too. It's mindless jargon, that does me no good to watch. I don't relate to most of the programming. Don't even get me started on the commercials.

I'd much rather enjoy my own programming provided by a vivid imagination and too much time on my hands.

You're just fine, only not a conformist like most. Your interests are different from the majority. What of it? Would you rather sell yourself short, and give into someone else's values?

Keep your integrity and just be yourself.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

I tend to look into things alot and I have alot of questions that would help me understand ;ife if I could just get them answered.

I want to know whay there is such a large number of people who wish to
watch other people have fun.
Why not go out and create your own fun?
There is something peolpe get out of being able to say "WE SCORED".
"WE"????

"WE"????

Don't you mean "THEY"?!?!?!?!

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Lucky you don't live in Australia or you would be lynched.

Just kidding!

I live here, but I have to agree with you that you do get strange reactions when you dislike sports.

My father is a Rugby fanatic. He has told me every day since Christmas how many sleeps left until kickoff of the first game this season.

I'm predicting I can take about 3 or 4 more days of it before I find a football and jam it in his mouth

For me, It was all school.

I never minded sports, but I wasn't particularly good at them and when the schooling system actually grades you on how well you play, it is ridiculously frustrating.

I'm serious. We had a system (at least when I was in school) where we were tested about how far we could throw, how accurate we could kick a ball, our 100m sprint times etc etc. I failed PD/H/PE because of those tests, yet scored 94% on the written exam the year before. My asthma didn't help with any of it either, and not to mention the taunting and bullying by the 'jocks' about my results.

Ever since school I've pretty much stayed away from all sport because of that 'mental scar'. I hate people watching me play any sort of sport or exercise, because I can see that they are laughing in their heads, at least thats what my brain tells me.

/Self-pitying rant over

Basically, ignore them. If they don't like you because of your pass time preferences, then they aren't worth knowing.

What are you into? When they are watching men in short shorts feel each other up repeatedly to get a hold of some balls what are you doing?

Next time any of them mentions the game, ask them something about your hobby.

'Did you see the game last night'?
*Pretend you really love bird watching
'Yesterday I saw a *insert really confusing bird name here*. What you think of that? Catch that one too?'

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I have always played sports. It is more fun than jogging, I have a competitive streak, and watching sports on TV is just boring. I'm a big basketball fan, and it is to this day the only sport I can enjoy watching - and so I go to games. It's fun to be around people in a buzzing atmosphere... but for the most part - watching sports is the one of the things I least enjoy. One point I'd like to make is that one of our great intellects Noam Chomsky has a brilliant take on sports and their place on society... check some of his rationale about sports and you will feel better about not really giving a rats...

Chomsky excerpt:
"You know, I remember in high school, already I was pretty old. I suddenly asked myself at one point, why do I care if my high school team wins the football game? [laugbter] I mean, I don't know anybody on the team, you know? [audience roars] I mean, they have nothing to do with me, I mean, why I am cheering for my team? It doesn't mean any -- it doesn't make sense. But the point is, it does make sense: it's a way of building up irrational attitudes of submission to authority, and group cohesion behind leadership elements -- in fact, it's training in irrational jingoism. That's also a feature of competitive sports. I think if you look closely at these things, I think, typically, they do have functions, and that's why energy is devoted to supporting them and creating a basis for them and advertisers are willing to pay for them and so on."

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Not alone. Can't stand watching any of the sports.

Funny this thread came up.

My 15 year old cousin asked me about my lack of interest over the holidays.

When I replied with a no, he said to me "That seems kinda Anti-Social"
I chuckled.
But then again, this is Texas.

I postulate that most of the Sport Fanatics of today are fans because one or both of their parents were.

They grew up with the Fandom.
But hey, there's always an exception.

But those things...there's nothing more boring. As someone said earlier, watching paint dry would be more entertaining.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr

What are you into? When they are watching men in short shorts feel each other up repeatedly to get a hold of some balls what are you doing?

Next time any of them mentions the game, ask them something about your hobby.

Funny you should say that. I teach Martial Arts and it has been a hobby of mine since I was 11 years old. No I never went to a tournament in all those years because I never understood the need to be better than someone else.

I truely feel like a visiting Alien here.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by outatime

Well then, next time they hound you about their favorite sport, play a little game and fire back.

'You catch the game? Hope you did'

'No, I was too busy practicing my spinning heel kick to use on then next person to ask me about football... oh wait. Just back up a bit, it will be over quick'.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

LMAO!
That was great. Thanks for the chuckle, I needed that.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpm06002
sports stars are some of the biggest role models of the modern day. they give kids dreams and sports teach life lessons.

Ok, that is total bs, what possible life lessons do you learn from sports? That you have to run fast? That you have to hold on to your balls? The "us vs them" mentality, the good old separatist mentality? Sports are just one more brain washing tool, something that gets people to fight at each other over petty differences, competition is stupid and ridiculous, the only sports I think are worth watching at all are the Special Olympics, you can actually "learn some life lessons" from that, like the fact that we all have to work together because it's not about a team winning, everyone can win, we can all be winners if we work together, unity, not division. Honestly though, you NEVER learn life lessons from sitting on you butt watching people run around with a ball in there hands grabbing at each other with cornhole coaches yelling and cussing at the people on the team because he doesn't approve of how they carried out a play, that's about as useful as the drill sargents in boot camp, they yell at you and brainwash you so they can control you, yet they always get praise because they are an "authority figure", I hate coaches and drill sargents, they are some of the most cocky, hateful, idiotic people I've ever met/seen.

Sports stars have no place being role models, all kids understand from that is that the person who spends all his/hers time focusing and doing sports, lacking heavily in knowledge of anything useful or beneficial to humanity, will be rewarded, you will be made a star, you will be worshiped. Being good at a sport is one of the most useless things you could ever have as a skill, it's unproductive, useless and promotes ignorance even more, plus the idiots who do become sports stars are some of the worst people to be a "role model" for kids.

When I was a kid my role models where Bill Cosby, my dad, John Hutchinson, Albert Einstein and pretty much any other intelligent person who had contributed something worth while to humanity, or at least had a good influence in my neighborhood (I lived in the ghetto) not some bong toking idiot. Not some steroid popping moron, people who have made a difference in the world and in my neighborhood.

Seriously, sports have only one purpose, to divide the people and to teach a militarized mindset, to get people fighting, competing against each other over stupid stuff.

OP, there is nothing wrong with you you just a bit more enlightened then the sports fanatics. If they start asking you about sports just do what I do, I tell people "I'm not really into sports, I'm into art and stuff like that, it has a bit more).

To be honest though, there is one sport I like, sand volleyball, simply because it's played in the summer (my favorite time of the year) and I used to play it with hot college chicks, that was my main motive really, the girls, I could care less about the sport lol, but I do gotta say, I was pretty dang good at it, I used to put on a good show too.

-Lahara

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Oops, double post.

[edit on 4-2-2009 by TheRandom1]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
nd that is the problem. The majority of kids who look up to these sports "heroes" will never have the talent to allow them to play sports at the professional level. I do believe in physical fitness, but I believe that the mind is just as important as the body, possibly more so.
Colleges collect fees from students in order to support their football and basketball teams, when the majority of these students don't care about the sports.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join