It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help, I Hate Sports, What's wrong with me?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
For the longest time now I have felt like an ousider looking in.
I don't quite fit in wherever I go.
It is hard to have friends or any kind of interaction with "The Norms"
with out inevitably being asked the awkward question......." Did ya catch the game last night"?

Now what is one to do? I could lie and say yes but then I'm afraid it would encourage more conversation about it and then I'll eventually get discovered for the fraud that I am.

If I say "No" then I will get "that look". You know the look.Like a booger is hanging from your nose. And then followed by an even more uncomfortable conversation ,"Why don't you watch sports".

Well, good question thank you for asking. The problem is.....I have no answer. I don't know why I don't like to watch sports.
I have wondered for years why or better yet HOW........No wait ...WHAT could anyone possibly get from watching other people play sports.
I am at a loss. I am tired of feeling like the outsider. You people should feel like the outsiders. It makes no sense why you would want to watch other people have fun.

I will be the first one on the field to play a game of touch football or softball,vollyball,golf.....o.k. not golf (WTF is the point in THAT game)
or soccer, but, if you are going to ask me to sit and watch.....No thanks!!!!!!!WHY, would be my question. "Why would I want to watch other people throw a ball around"?

Do you know what I was doing Super Bowl Sunday?????
I was sitting in a log cabin in the middle of 160 acres of forrest owned by my friend and I was watching a different sort of entertainment called "The Mother Nature Variety Hour". It's a great show and I highly reccomend it.
It is the longest running show in the history of shows. ANd the best part is the Lead character.......Is YOU!!!!!!
You are the main character in the show of life.IT's You. You're the star. Not some damn steroid using baseball player. Do these people pay your bills? Do you think they give a damn that you got laid off? Are they going to let you crash on their couch untill you get back on your feet?

That's a big fat NO!!!!!!

Then why do you continue to throw mony at these people and support their
meaningless careeers?

Ohh jesus tapdancing Christ don't get me started on "Pro-Wrestling".

So my question stands.

"What is Wrong With Me ATS??????????

Ohhh and yes I'm A Man!

[edit on 4-2-2009 by outatime]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I'd love to join you in viewing the Mother Nature Variety Show but Spring Training is right around the corner and I'm going to be too busy watching Meaningless Exhibition Games JUST because the game is baseball.

If you don't like watching sports then that would mean you don't like going to a Baseball Game? WHAT?

I think you are really an alien...and now you've tipped your hand. The MIB will be at your door in short order.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I think watching sports on TV is the most boring thing there is. I just as soon watch paint dry.

Love sports, but watching sucks.

Baseball is boring beyond belief, with just a bit more action than watching golf or equestrian events.

I may watch the final four in college basketball, as the teams have been pretty well sorted out, and personally, I do like college football, and I'll usually watch some of the Superbowl - usually dash in to watch the commercials.

And I don't answer to anyone.

Did I see the game last night? No, it was just too boring . . . or . . . no, I was engaged in a three out of four wrestling match last night. A stewardess. And man, did I get pinned!

Usually when I tell the truth, that I find it boring, they'll reply, "yeah, well, there wasn't much on last night. . ."

You do your thing. You don't have to make excuses to anyone.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I think you should be more worried about how much you care about what your friends are going to think of you.

The more of an act you put on, the sillier you're going to look.

Don't like sports? Don't act like you do, just don't be a jerk about it.

I can't even dribble a basketball, which would make me a total sissy by your thinking, but I just make a joke of it and brush it off.

[edit on 4-2-2009 by alaskan]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I'm the same way. I've even started to forget some of the rules! Yes, playing is so much better than watching. And then every year, the whole nation get's all wralled-up over a football game to see who's the WORLD CHAMPIONS! Sheese, didn't we just decide who that was 12 months ago???

I've tried to get back into it and did start to find sports and the analysis and commentary somewhat entertaining, but I could never stick with it. There's too many other things to do and learn.

OTOH, it's always a good excuse to have a party!

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by outatime
"What is Wrong With Me ATS??????????

Nothing is 'wrong' with you. It's: 'What is wrong with them'?

Instead of people wasting their time watching sports and entertainment, dumbing-down their brain cells and fattening up on potato[e] chips, they should be headed for their nearest library to catch up on a good book and learn, say, how to do some gardening, be self-sufficient in case their is no electricity and, gosh darn-it, actually loose some weight in the process!

I guess they like violence, guys running or hitting that poor ball and rewarding each other after some brutal beatings with each other - kinda reminiscent of the gladiator days.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

Yes because all sports fans are overweight, dumb individuals that sit around all day eating potato chips and drinking beer . I agree with Dooper to each his own if you don't like it fair enough, dont hide the fact you don't like watching sports.

[edit on 4-2-2009 by Wethesheeple]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I love watching sports. I love watching the best of the best competing at sports I have played. The players are made into heroes by the media and its fun to dream of the spotlight like they have and they really make you feel like you are watching something important and history unfolding. add in drama and choosing sides and there is plenty of excitement. also it gives you a chance to forget about everything in the world except for the game being played and you get to root for your team or just watch for the love of the game and be awed by great plays and feats. plus there is a social benefit of being able to talk about sports with other guys and you become united with a group of people when you are cheering for the same team. it should be nothing more than a hobby though obviously unless you make a living in the business.

just giving you a point of view of someone who watches. of course there is nothing wrong with not liking it everyone has their own forms of entertainment.

[edit on 4-2-2009 by jpm06002]

[edit on 4-2-2009 by jpm06002]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
It seems you may have more of an artistic mentality and don't care to much for "watching" competition, and there's nothing wrong with that. Not everyone has to like watching sports. I might watch 2 games a year. When someone asks me "what did you think of that game last night" I just simply say "I didn't see it" and they pretty much leave me alone.
Focus more on the things YOU like and surround yourself with those people.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm06002

Everything you just said is exactly what I'm talking about.
That, to me, is sad. WTF???
What would compell anyone to dream of being someone else?????
I am the most important person in My world after my children and wife of course. I want to be ME!!!! I want to daydream about being ME, not some
piece of crap football player.
Why would anyone want to be anyone but themselves. Is your life that bad????

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Avalon22

funny you say that. I am artistic. I love to play guitar and write songs and enjoy beauty in all of it's forms.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by outatime

Your'e a doer not a watcher, i like doing but i hate watching. I compare it to watching someone hog a games console all night, and leave you watching - Nice , but better if you had experienced it, not watched it

[edit on 4-2-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   

well i dont actually want to be the particular person. it is just cool thinking of hitting winning buzzer beater shots with people going wild. and the baller lifestyle that goes along with being a sports star.. money, girls, fame. when i was a little kid i wanted to be a sports star so do a lot of other kids. eventually many of those kids realize they aren't cut out for it but they can at least still watch and enjoy those who made it.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   

well i dont actually want to be the particular person. it is just cool thinking of hitting winning buzzer beater shots with people going wild. and the baller lifestyle that goes along with being a sports star.. money, girls, fame. when i was a little kid i wanted to be a sports star so do a lot of other kids. eventually many of those kids realize they aren't cut out for it but they can at least still watch and enjoy those who made it.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   

There is nothing wrong with you. There is something wrong with people who waste hours upon hours every week watching football, basketball, baseball etc, ad nauseum.
That time could be much better spent reading, learning, doing volunteer work at a nursing home, or mentoring a kid who needs a role model.
If all the sports nuts gave up their games and did a few things like I just listed, think what a change it could make in the country.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
No You are not alone at all and to be honest I have come to conclude that the majority of people are idiots. When people ask me if I watch sports I say no and I let them know quickly thats why our world is so #ed up. They always look at me and ask why ... I tell them they spend to much time entertaining themselves and not enough time educating themselves. Then I pull the crap out of my butt thats going on in the world and it blows them away. I have been around the same guys working on a barge for about 9 months now. They still watch sports but the still try to get me on a new tid bit of news that they found on the internet .... Hey they haven't caught me yet but its funny when people ask You for the latest news... As a matter of fact some of them are even waking up to the political corruption and the federal reserve ....

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikypiky

Nothing is 'wrong' with you. It's: 'What is wrong with them'?

Instead of people wasting their time watching sports and entertainment, dumbing-down their brain cells and fattening up on potato[e] chips, they should be headed for their nearest library to catch up on a good book and learn, say, how to do some gardening, be self-sufficient in case their is no electricity and, gosh darn-it, actually loose some weight in the process!

I guess they like violence, guys running or hitting that poor ball and rewarding each other after some brutal beatings with each other - kinda reminiscent of the gladiator days.

Wow I didn't know sports like tennis, golf, volleyball, surfing, skiing, kayaking yachting, rowing, diving, swimming, bowls, croquet, athletics, and badminton were violent?

Thanks for pointing that out to all of us fat, lazy, stupid slobs who enjoy playing/watching sport.

learn, say, how to do some gardening, be self-sufficient in case their is no electricity and, gosh darn-it, actually loose some weight in the process!

Gosh darn it and here I was thinking playing tennis was gonna stop me from being fat and dumb.

[edit on 4-2-2009 by Chadwickus]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith

There is nothing wrong with you. There is something wrong with people who waste hours upon hours every week watching football, basketball, baseball etc, ad nauseum.
That time could be much better spent reading, learning, doing volunteer work at a nursing home, or mentoring a kid who needs a role model.
If all the sports nuts gave up their games and did a few things like I just listed, think what a change it could make in the country.

sports stars are some of the biggest role models of the modern day. they give kids dreams and sports teach life lessons.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm06002

That's the parents job to be role models to their kids not a God Damn sports star!!!!

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
It's o.k.

In my opinion, Sport is just a primitive expression of dominance over another.

Mind you, i WOULD like to see a couple of Gladiators rip eachother apart.....THAT is real sport...

<<   2 >>

join